U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 AM

10 posts, read 43,274 times

Advertisements

I am new to the forum, but have found it very helpful so far. However I haven't seen anything regarding Kearneysville.
I currently live in Frederick, MD and love it. However I can't afford to buy anything in the area. I work in Hagerstown, my boyfriend works in Frederick and my family is in Frederick so Kearneysville seemed like a good area to buy our first home. We've been looking at the new development Drees is putting up and have fallen in love with the homes.
I'm not too familiar with the area, I've passed thru Martinsburg and Charlestown but haven't paid much attention. My boyfriend and I are 23 and 25. we have no children and dont plan on having any in the near future so schools aren't a big deal, we are not concerned with the job market as we have jobs that we enjoy in MD, but we are concerned with most everything else, including weekend activites and entertainment. We've heard WV has "funny" taxes, such as taxing pets, etc., but we dont know how true that is. Is there anything we need to know before we commit?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 11:59 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,978,001 times
One word for you..............RUN!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:33 PM

1,946 posts, read 3,844,985 times
What county is Kearneysville in? I've been through that part of WV before, but not familiar with some of the smaller towns like K'ville or Inwood.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:44 PM

Kearneysville is split. The Post office is in Jefferson County and the VA Center, also part of Kearneysville is Berkeley.
The main reason I do not like it is due to Route 9, all the dive bars along the road, and nothing around unless you drive into Martinsburg, which of course does not offer much either.

Inwood is Exit 5 off 81 in South Berkeley County.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:39 PM

421 posts, read 1,165,108 times
there are several nice developments going on in both jefferson and berkeley counties. i visited some friends this weekend in a development called "quail ridge" that is part of kearneysville ... nice houses on decent lots. personally, i live outside of charles town and enjoy the conveniences around there. i'd say that kearneysville is middle of the road .... not wonderful, not bad.

route 9 will eventually be four lane between martinsburg and charles town, so you'll bypass the "dive bars" to which georgia refers.

you might consider something around shephardstown. fairly easy access to both hagerstown and frederick from there also. how about living in hagerstown itself?

i read alot on here about how wv has alot of taxes, but it's cheaper than where i lived in va. we do pay a $10 or $15 tag fee for our dog ... but again, paid the same thing in virginia. they repealed the "priviledge tax" where they charged you 5% of your cars value just to bring it into the state. since that tax is gone, i can't think of any eye openers related to moving here.

take the time to drive around the area and see things for yourself.

good luck.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:08 PM

16,857 posts, read 19,607,203 times
Our first house was off Leetown Rd in Kearneysville. It was an S&A home on 3 acres or so. Leetown/Kearnesville is a very nice area with most homes on larger lots. You're close to C'town and Shepherdstown which makes going out to dinner a bit easier. It's a bit more rural, in my opinion (which is good). I still manage to hunt with a friend on about 100 acres in Leetown.

In 15 minutes you can be at the C&O canal in Shepherdstown or the Appalachian Trail in Harpers Ferry for day outdoor fun.

Nice town any way you slice it.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:26 AM

10 posts, read 43,274 times
Thanks for the advice. I have looked into Hagerstown, but I'm getting a brand new home in Kearneysville for the price I'd pay for a smaller 50 year old house in Hagerstown. How is traffic on 9 to 81 in the mornings and afternoons?
My main concern is safety and convenience. I'm sure being in a development helps with safety but I'll be coming and going late at night, sometimes by myself, and I want to make sure it's a town that I'll feel comfortable in. From what I've seen everything I would possibly need is within about a 15 minute drive.
My opinion isn't totally made up at this point. Price is a big factor though and I feel like I'm getting a lot of house in Kearneysville for what I'd pay a lot more for in other nearby areas.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:47 AM

421 posts, read 1,165,108 times
"Price is a big factor though and I feel like I'm getting a lot of house in Kearneysville for what I'd pay a lot more for in other nearby areas."

you are ..... which is a big draw for many of the people moving into these two counties. i really can't speak to the traffic between kearneysville and rt 81, as i don't commute this stretch during rush hour. my suspicion is that it can get kind of congested as it's still a two lane road going into martinsburg. as with all commutes - timing is everything.

i have not looked at home costs around hedgesville or falling waters, both just off of rt 81, but those might be options as there are new neighborhoods there as well.

good luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:14 AM

16,857 posts, read 19,607,203 times
i don't know about the neighborhood you're looking at, but the one I lived in had maybe 15 homes and we knew everybody.

I had the keys to my neighbors house and vice-versa (assuming we locked our doors).

There was never any problems. Very quiet, one way in, one way out kind of place.

Same was true for my last house in Inwood off Sulpher Spring Rd (just across the creek from Leetown/Kearneysville). We knew our neighbors and they knew us, one-way in and one way out. Hell, my neighbor there used to have the keys to my house, tractor, truck and vice-versa. Some mornings his kids would show up for breakfast and a ride to the school bus stop.

That's one thing I like vs. the standard cookie cutter subdivisions- people tend to be a bit more friendlier, at least thats my take on things.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
there are several nice developments going on in both jefferson and berkeley counties. i visited some friends this weekend in a development called "quail ridge" that is part of kearneysville ... nice houses on decent lots. personally, i live outside of charles town and enjoy the conveniences around there. i'd say that kearneysville is middle of the road .... not wonderful, not bad.

route 9 will eventually be four lane between martinsburg and charles town, so you'll bypass the "dive bars" to which georgia refers.

you might consider something around shephardstown. fairly easy access to both hagerstown and frederick from there also. how about living in hagerstown itself?

i read alot on here about how wv has alot of taxes, but it's cheaper than where i lived in va. we do pay a $10 or $15 tag fee for our dog ... but again, paid the same thing in virginia. they repealed the "priviledge tax" where they charged you 5% of your cars value just to bring it into the state. since that tax is gone, i can't think of any eye openers related to moving here.

take the time to drive around the area and see things for yourself.

good luck.
Bill makes some good points. Also, check out the homes up, down, and sideways, as Berkeley does not have zoning, nor county inspections.
With Kearneysville you will also need to watch the flood plane. There are many areas that "WILL" hold water and again with no zoning nothing stops a builder from rolling fill dirt and dropping the crawl space. Most of the low areas, which can fool you as they do not look like low areas, are north off Rt9 past the VA.

On taxation, VA's tax is 5.75% income vs. 6.50% WV.
Sales is 6% across the board in WV vs. 4% in VA, I think WV lowered food tax to 5%.
Maryland on the other hand has turned into a tax hell. Though a 4% flat income tax it is one of the only states left with a piggy back county tax, incorporated into the state income that can bring your total percentage north of 7%. Maryland is a beautiful state with good roads, but Western Maryland and the shore counties get the tab for the constant Baltimore bail outs. Now that Smarty Marty O'Malley is Comrade in Chief, he is raising anything that is taxable with additional taxes.
I love Maryland, but I have been hearing some horror stories on the Maryland threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia