Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 09:48 PM

91 posts, read 135,156 times

Advertisements

Looking at moving to the Morgantown area sometime next year. not sure whether I can afford to live in the City Proper(I'm still looking into it), but Fairmont was suggested to me as a close-by alternative.

How are the schools/jobs/rent prices/stuff to do/community there? I'm assuming I would not be able to send my daughter to a Mon County school.

it's close enough for a pretty straightforward commute to Morgantown for work though, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 09:55 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Fairmont is in Marion County, which is different than Monongalia County where Morgantown is located, but a close examination of the map will show you that the 2 cities are not far apart. Many people do commute to and from both Morgantown and Fairmont to work in the other city on I-79 since Fairmont is home to NASA research facilities that have heavy involvement with WVU, and since many from Fairmont work especially in the healthcare facilities in and around Morgantown. The drive between the 2 cities will take you from 15 to 25 minutes, depending on which part of the cities you are driving to and from. Driving within the City of Morgantown also varies in terms of the time element, with the time periods of 6:45am to 9am and 3pm to 6pm experiencing heavy traffic volumes. If you are driving within Morgantown during those times, add some time to the commute.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_..._West_Virginia

Old 10-02-2016, 10:33 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,573 times
Personally, as much as I dog on Morgantown and even though Fairmont rent prices are way cheaper, I'll take Morgantown over Fairmont or anywhere else in this state as long as we're here....

Old 10-03-2016, 08:18 AM

51 posts, read 56,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadFour View Post
Looking at moving to the Morgantown area sometime next year. not sure whether I can afford to live in the City Proper(I'm still looking into it), but Fairmont was suggested to me as a close-by alternative.

How are the schools/jobs/rent prices/stuff to do/community there? I'm assuming I would not be able to send my daughter to a Mon County school.

it's close enough for a pretty straightforward commute to Morgantown for work though, yes?
The only plus to Fairmont is the cheaper housing. I worked there and commuted from the Morgantown area for a few years. The drive from Fairmont to Morgantown isn't bad- straight shot on the interstate. There's a technology park there with a NASA facility and a few other government operations- Mon Power has an operations base there too. But in terms of stuff to do, jobs, schools, there's really not much going on. There's a WalMart and an almost empty mall (that someone apparently wants to turn into an indoor beach if you believe their gofundme page, lol). If you decide to live in Fairmont, do so with the knowledge that you'll need to drive north to Morgantown or south to Clarksburg/Bridgeport (about 10-15 minutes) frequently.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:19 AM

91 posts, read 135,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvAlmostHeaven View Post
If you decide to live in Fairmont, do so with the knowledge that you'll need to drive north to Morgantown or south to Clarksburg/Bridgeport (about 10-15 minutes) frequently.
I'm....actually ok with this, now that I have a car.

Is the population younger and/or more northern-ish, like Morgantown?

Old 10-08-2016, 12:17 PM

778 posts, read 794,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvAlmostHeaven View Post
The only plus to Fairmont is the cheaper housing. I worked there and commuted from the Morgantown area for a few years. The drive from Fairmont to Morgantown isn't bad- straight shot on the interstate. There's a technology park there with a NASA facility and a few other government operations- Mon Power has an operations base there too. But in terms of stuff to do, jobs, schools, there's really not much going on. There's a WalMart and an almost empty mall (that someone apparently wants to turn into an indoor beach if you believe their gofundme page, lol). If you decide to live in Fairmont, do so with the knowledge that you'll need to drive north to Morgantown or south to Clarksburg/Bridgeport (about 10-15 minutes) frequently.

I agree with all of this. Fairmont is a nice enough little town but if your choice is anywhere but Morgantown and still be in the area, I think Clarksburg-Bridgeport is a better choice. I think it is also a perk to be on the cross road of I-79 (north and south) and US-50 (east and west). Charleston is just over 90 minutes away. Parkersburg and Ohio beyond is 60 minutes, Morgantown is 45 minutes and Tygart Lake State Park is 30 minutes.

Clarksburg has a really nice downtown that is in full use and kept up as well as working mall and the retail hubs around Lowes, Walmart, etc.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:55 PM

51 posts, read 56,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadFour View Post
I'm....actually ok with this, now that I have a car.

Is the population younger and/or more northern-ish, like Morgantown?
My sense of Fairmont when I worked there was that the population was older than Morgantown, and if you believe Wikipedia, the median age of Morgantown residents is about 15 years younger than that of Fairmont residents. I would still consider it "northern", but the makeup of the city is pretty different from Morgantown. I don't mean this in a bad way, it's just a fact- but Morgantown residents would tend to be more educated than Fairmont residents too.

My view would be that Morgantown is a growing town attracting a lot of talented people and a variety of new types of business, and Fairmont is a town struggling with the decline of the coal industry (I would assume) and trying to find a new identity. In all honesty, I think it's identity is going to end up being that of a suburb to Morgantown and Bridgeport- it's really the perfect location for someone who wants to be close to those cities without the higher housing costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia