Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,318 times

Advertisements

Odd title I am sure but, my husband and I live in northern VA right now but are looking around for areas to consider retiring in anywhere from 5-10 years from now. We are not from this particular area but our grown kids seem to be settling in here so we are looking for places in a reasonable distance. We like the out doors, hiking and kayaking for example but hope to find an area with more things to do when we are fully retired. I have always wanted to try fly fishing so we were thinking about combining a visit to WV to check things out with a few days of learning to fly fish. Can anyone suggest some areas to consider?
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:31 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
What size town are you wanting to settle in? If you are looking for a larger town, Huntington and Charleston both have about 50,000 people and would provide plenty to do with close access to hiking and fishing. If you are looking for a town just under 20,000, Beckley might be a good option and it is closer to more hiking/fishing than Huntington or Charleston. One good thing about all three cities is that they are all on I-64 which would give you easy access to Virginia and other major roads to get to where you need to go. If you are looking for an even smaller town, Fayetteville or Summersville might suit your needs. A little more info on what type of place you are looking to live in could help guide you in your travels. here are some links that might help to get you started.
Tim

West Virginia Fishing Guides :: Trout Fishing, Bass Fishing :: Mountain State Anglers
City of Huntington, West Virginia
Welcome to Charleston WV
City Of Beckley, WV
Fayetteville, West Virginia - Gateway to the New River Gorge
www.summersvillewv.org - Home

Old 02-25-2008, 07:05 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
There are several guides who will take you into the mountains on horseback to flyfish...around Elkins would be the best area...There's a sporting goods store on the main drag in Elkins, but I don't remember the name...and In Petersburg a guide will take you to all the way to Romney on the south fork...but I forget them too...Eagles Nest...I think...
perhaps GHO can help out with Elkins...We never use them...do it all on our own...

Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Thanks Kennedy, Yes Elkins is definitely one of the most retirement friendly cities across WV, as well as the number one decent size city near a myriad of outdoor entertainment that includes; fishing, camping, rock climbing, smimming (in clean fresh water rivers), biking, hiking, skiing (3 ski resorts within 45 minutes including Snowshoe Mtn). We are near Seneca Rocks, Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley, and Elkins is the headquarters for the Monongalia National Forest.

Elkins is located in north central WV. About two hours south of Pittsburgh, and two hours north of Charleston. US 33 a four lane highway is making its way from Weston through Elkins to interchange with I-81 near Strasburg, VA. Making the trip to DC much faster and safer!

As for retirement, living on a fixed income is tough for anyone. Check out how Elkins compares to the rest of WV on general taxation. It is so low, compared to the already phenomenally low West Virginia rate, Elkins even trumps that. We have a hospital, and doctors just about in every field. For more advanced care you can drive to Morgantown, which is home to two of the highest level trauma centers in our part of the state. Our hospital can treat everything from the flu, broken bones, births, to cancer care, surgeries, and post op. care.

Ask around people will tell you that Elkins is in the Mtns and gets a lot snow. Well there is some truth to this, Elkins is in the mountains, and trust me, the division of highways are experts on handling snow. Also Elkins proper, doesn't get too much snow in the winter, its mostly as you get out of town where the snowfall really starts to climb. But it can be so breathtakingly beautiful. You might also be interested in riding the historic train that now picks up passengers in Elkins and takes them deep into the Mon. Forest. The train is called the Tygart Flier!

If you're looking for a small town feel, with city amenities, near an abundance of natural wonders with limitless opportunities. Elkins is your town. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have

Here are some links you can check out... So much information can be found here.

Welcome to the Heart of West Virginia

Elkins, West Virginia

Mountain State Forest Festival - Elkins, West Virginia

Elkins, West Virginia (WV) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Any questions.. again feel free to ask me or private message me

Old 02-26-2008, 05:26 AM

Thank you all for your very helpful responses. To answer your question tbailey, the size of the town is not all that important to us but more the access to amenities, general "feel" of the area and openness to "outsiders" if that makes sense. I will look through all of the links this evening and thank you all again!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
See if you can plan a 2 or 3 day trip the length of US-219. It will take you through a succession of towns, small to mid-size (for WV) with a variety of terrain, etc.

Davis (Blackwater Falls), Parsons, Elkins, Marlinton, Hillsboro, Lewisburg, Alderson (from north to south) are all good possibilities, and range in size from a couple of hundred (Hillsboro) to several thousand (Elkins).

And anywhere along there, you're probably not more than a half hour from kayaking, white water rafting, and fishing opportunities.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 AM

107 posts, read 361,108 times
Lewisburg is a great outdoors place for anyone..Their is the greenbrier river trail that is almost 60miles along the greenbrier river. Many hiking trails near the Cranberry Botanical Area. Horseback Riding..Caves along with great fly fishing for trout in a creek that is limited to fly fishing only. Second Creek. Smallmouth bass fishing with the fly is also great around the greenbrier river. Serenity Now Outfitters is a guide service as well as an outdoors shop in lewisburg with everything from guide services to second creek to fishing new river. In the store he has canoes,kayaks,and beginning fly fisherman to an advanced angler. I would recommend the place to anyone that loves the outdoors. Named top 10 small towns in america by national geographic in 2004.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:56 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
I should also mention that Elkins was named one of the best Small Arts Towns in America, and Davis & Elkins College has been named one of the top institutions of its kind in the South

Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 PM

This is all great info! I am very impressed with what I have read so far! Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia