Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,987,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
Oh really? Clintons era is over. Obama's era is not here yet. It's a time for a real politician not a phony. Vote McCain.
Well, I'd like to get married one day, yeah, kids would be nice too.... (gay marriage & adoption)...ha ha and I'd like that to be in the United States, and I'd like the United States to not be in the trillions of dollars in debt and being alienated from the rest of the world. (pointless wars) I'd also like my friend's family to be able to pay their medical bills after her dad became disabled from an explosion. They owe in the millions, because they didn't have insurance. (Universal Health Care, Its not that scary) Soo these are just a few of the reasons I'm voting for Clinton There are many more too

I'll hold you to it, for that check Kennedy! ha ha

and no, there are not many African Americans in Marlington... If any at all. There were a few hispanics living and working there, but I'm not too sure. If you're looking for more diversity look at Elkins, Clarksburg, and Fairmont (closest areas to Marlington with some diversity)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,021 times
Getting back to Karen's debate:

Could an 'inplace' organization such as the 'Senior Citizens Program be extended to visit and possibly teach people in our more remote areas? I'm shooting at the target here with a shotgun and searching for ideas. I'm talking about teaching reading, giving encouragement and culture assimilation, co-ordination to other groups.

Karen, you are in these homes every day..what do they need besides health care?

I think the 'Senior Citizens Program' has an unlimited potential to rescue our communities.
It's on my list with the Veterans Hospital to volunteer to when I get some age on this body.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:22 AM

240 posts, read 732,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
It's a big room for self-analysis:)
Quote:
An unexamined life is not worth living.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Let him that would move the world first move himself.
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty.
Socrates said that.

Quote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.
A round man cannot be expected to fit in a square hole right away. He must have time to modify his shape.
All generalizations are false, including this one.
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt
Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits
The man who is a pessimist before 48 knows too much; if he is an optimist after it, he knows too little.
The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.
Mark Twain said that.

Quote:
If you think there is someone worse off than you, you're right. If you think there is someone better off than you, you're right. If you think it matters, you're wrong.
I said that. ;)

Old 03-04-2008, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Getting back to Karen's debate:

Could an 'inplace' organization such as the 'Senior Citizens Program be extended to visit and possibly teach people in our more remote areas? I'm shooting at the target here with a shotgun and searching for ideas. I'm talking about teaching reading, giving encouragement and culture assimilation, co-ordination to other groups.

Karen, you are in these homes every day..what do they need besides health care?

I think the 'Senior Citizens Program' has an unlimited potential to rescue our communities.
It's on my list with the Veterans Hospital to volunteer to when I get some age on this body.
DK, by the time I go in the homes, the old folks either have advanced dementia or are dying.

The need I see most in these cases is to educate the family care givers who do more harm than good out of love. It is a sad thing to see someone who is days from death being force fed by their son/daughter because they don't understand that a person who is dying doesn't want or need food. The sadder thing is seeing the parent comply out of love for the child.

I believe hospice care should be more prevalent.

I also believe that EVERYONE, mo matter what their age, should have advance directives. Trust me, you won't like it when the hospital inserts a G tube to keep you alive.

As for functioning seniors, they need company more than anything else, since in many cases their children have moved out of state. Senior centers are wonderful resources for those who can still get out.

I commend you on wanting to volunteer. The need is great.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:36 AM

GHO, the day is coming.

It's funny but here is the southern part of the state where you would expect more prejudice I actually see less.

People here accept all different races and lifestyles. I don't know many gays still in the closet. Nobody seems to care.

We have African Americans, Mexicans, Muslims, albeit a minority, and no one persecutes them or really thinks twice about it.

People move from out of state and are welcomed and accepted.

Now, I'm not saying this is universal. There are some rednecks. I'm just saying that this is the rule rather than the exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Well, I'd like to get married one day, yeah, kids would be nice too.... (gay marriage & adoption)...ha ha and I'd like that to be in the United States, and I'd like the United States to not be in the trillions of dollars in debt and being alienated from the rest of the world. (pointless wars) I'd also like my friend's family to be able to pay their medical bills after her dad became disabled from an explosion. They owe in the millions, because they didn't have insurance. (Universal Health Care, Its not that scary) Soo these are just a few of the reasons I'm voting for Clinton There are many more too

I'll hold you to it, for that check Kennedy! ha ha

and no, there are not many African Americans in Marlington... If any at all. There were a few hispanics living and working there, but I'm not too sure. If you're looking for more diversity look at Elkins, Clarksburg, and Fairmont (closest areas to Marlington with some diversity)

Old 03-05-2008, 07:50 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,987,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millersangel View Post
GHO, the day is coming.

It's funny but here is the southern part of the state where you would expect more prejudice I actually see less.

People here accept all different races and lifestyles. I don't know many gays still in the closet. Nobody seems to care.

We have African Americans, Mexicans, Muslims, albeit a minority, and no one persecutes them or really thinks twice about it.

People move from out of state and are welcomed and accepted.

Now, I'm not saying this is universal. There are some rednecks. I'm just saying that this is the rule rather than the exception.
I've actually experienced that too! The southern part of the state is more tolorant in my opinion. I think it is because they have more minorities, etc. With the exception of Morgantown, there really isn't any northern areas that openly accept gays. Even though I think religion is more dominant in the south, which tends to cause some problems I still find it more accepted. Which is good, I find it hard to understand that I have to be accepted for being who I am.. but hey, whatever

Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,021 times
What do you mean by openly accepting gays? How is that done?

In searching for an example, my thoughts ran quickly to religion...some of my people were not accepted by the Germans, in fact they were incinerated and bagged as fertilizer. Last month a very good man was openly not accepted because his religion was a hindrance to his political career.

Being a minority does not equate toleration or acceptance.

Being gay is choosing a lifestyle. It's like becoming a Jew. When the commitment is made, strength of character must be shown to be the driving force behind the choice.
The commitment must be total.
GHO with all respect...you are not fully commited to your lifestyle...If you were you would not be full of doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia