Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:22 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,726,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
It seems that poverty rises the further south you go other than maybe Greenbrier, Pocahontas & Pendleton Co's. Anyone comment on, is it just lack of jobs via coal closing up or the like? Interesting demographic as Greenbrier (due to proximity to VA) seems properous yet w/ a med school, etc. there -- but the rest of the southern counties seem a mess. Anyone comment here?
Greenbrier County is prosperous because it has the State Fair, The Greenbrier, WVSOM, and is home to the current Governor of West Virginia Jim Justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 01:53 PM

6,074 posts, read 9,098,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Greenbrier County is prosperous because it has the State Fair, The Greenbrier, WVSOM, and is home to the current Governor of West Virginia Jim Justice.
He just became governor, so that has very little to do with it.

Greenbrier county is a tourist destination, with scenic drives and popular recreational activities. It benefits from its location to Virginia as well.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:11 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
He just became governor, so that has very little to do with it.

Greenbrier county is a tourist destination, with scenic drives and popular recreational activities. It benefits from its location to Virginia as well.
Tourism is a great industry... and inflates property values which in turn brings in revenue to the county. Elkins area real-estate is inflated for this very reason. But I have to ask... who wants to vacation next to a strip mine? Who wants to fish or swim in a stream filled with acid from coal mine leakage/runoff as is evident throughout the state, especially the southern part of WV. Do we really want the type of tourists that come to view the squalor of former coal mining towns?

Some parts of our state have been spared from this, but until we as a state embrace the future... this is our reality.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:25 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I'd say that Greenbriar is prosperous compared with nearby counties in West Virginia, but tourism does not create high paying jobs, and tourism jobs do not make up for lost jobs in mines and factories economically. Our problem in West Virginia is that for decades the people have been duped by self serving politicians who looked out for their own pocketbooks instead of the welfare of the state, and by wealthy investors who exploited the relative lack of business acumen on the part of much of the state and, with the help of a corrupt political establishment, moved most of that wealth out of the state. Some of those folks even managed to buy high political office in the state themselves. I wouldn't say that is the case for Greenbriar specifically though, it's just that like everywhere else in the state there are repercussions from the sins of the past, so to speak.

The state squanders much of it's potential, which is the reason a resource wealthy state like ours is always bringing up the rear in most measurable attributes when other resource wealthy states seem to prosper. Our state government is one of excesses and inaction, with the 4th. most highly paid per capita political hack appointee system in the entire country that is so incompetent they don't even know how many vehicles are in their motor pool. Greenbriar, and everywhere in our state would benefit from a total shift in paradigms in terms of state government operation.

That said, there is potential in Greenbriar, regardless of surrounding issues, because of the presence of the significant tourism assets and the likelihood that the current Governor will be dumping money into there at an unprecedented pace. If I were a betting person, I wouldn't hesitate to invest in Greenbriar right now.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:53 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I'd say that Greenbriar is prosperous compared with nearby counties in West Virginia, but tourism does not create high paying jobs, and tourism jobs do not make up for lost jobs in mines and factories economically. Our problem in West Virginia is that for decades the people have been duped by self serving politicians who looked out for their own pocketbooks instead of the welfare of the state, and by wealthy investors who exploited the relative lack of business acumen on the part of much of the state and, with the help of a corrupt political establishment, moved most of that wealth out of the state. Some of those folks even managed to buy high political office in the state themselves. I wouldn't say that is the case for Greenbriar specifically though, it's just that like everywhere else in the state there are repercussions from the sins of the past, so to speak.

The state squanders much of it's potential, which is the reason a resource wealthy state like ours is always bringing up the rear in most measurable attributes when other resource wealthy states seem to prosper. Our state government is one of excesses and inaction, with the 4th. most highly paid per capita political hack appointee system in the entire country that is so incompetent they don't even know how many vehicles are in their motor pool. Greenbriar, and everywhere in our state would benefit from a total shift in paradigms in terms of state government operation.

That said, there is potential in Greenbriar, regardless of surrounding issues, because of the presence of the significant tourism assets and the likelihood that the current Governor will be dumping money into there at an unprecedented pace. If I were a betting person, I wouldn't hesitate to invest in Greenbriar right now.
I agree with CT above. Tourism doesn't usually provide an over abundance of high paying jobs- it is something West Virginia should certainly continue to capitalize on but has little to do with the relative affluence of a county. Greenbrier County has always been fairly affluent/prosperous, due to a combination of factors but namely because it was (or I guess is?) nowhere near as reliant on coal or other heavy manufacturing industries-- at least compared to other counties in southern West Virginia. The county has a fairly stable agricultural economy along with Lewisburg being home to WVSOM. I believe there are a decent number of CSX related railroad jobs there as well. One thing being left out when it comes to Greenbrier is the county's popularity with affluent retirees leaving larger cities and also second home buyers- in particular areas along the Greenbrier River, the Sporting Club (big $$$) and the ample farmland surrounding Lewsiburg. While not right next door to any metro areas, the county is aided by a relatively central location along I-64 and an hour or so down from I-81. You can be to Charlotte or DC/ Northern Virginia in about 4 hours, Richmond in about 3 hours, Roanoke and Charleston in about 1.5 - 2 hours, etc.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 04-24-2017 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 12:59 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I agree with CT above. Tourism doesn't usually provide an over abundance of high paying jobs- it is something West Virginia should certainly continue to capitalize on but has little to do with the relative affluence of a county. Greenbrier County has always been fairly affluent/prosperous, due to a combination of factors but namely because it was (or I guess is?) nowhere near as reliant on coal or other heavy manufacturing industries-- at least compared to other counties in southern West Virginia. The county has a fairly stable agricultural economy along with Lewisburg being home to WVSOM. I believe there are a decent number of CSX related railroad jobs there as well. One thing being left out when it comes to Greenbrier is the county's popularity with affluent retirees leaving larger cities and also second home buyers- in particular areas along the Greenbrier River, the Sporting Club (big $$$) and the ample farmland surrounding Lewsiburg. While not right next door to any metro areas, the county is aided by a relatively central location along I-64 and an hour or so down from I-81. You can be to Charlotte or DC/ Northern Virginia in about 4 hours, Richmond in about 3 hours, Roanoke and Charleston in about 1.5 - 2 hours, etc.
One of the things that inhibits retirees from settling in West Virginia is the fact that they tax retirement pensions, including Social Security. When my wife and I moved back to WV for retirement, we didn't think to check the tax burden for the elderly. If we had, we would have probably located 4 miles up the road in Mount Morris, PA and had essentially the same benefits as living in West Virginia and the Morgantown area while avoiding having to pay thousands in state taxes. It is especially noticeable because, in spite of paying a major portion of the state's tax revenue, our area often gets put on the back burner in terms of state expenditures. Many of our roads are actually 3rd. world quality, for example. Given it's location, the roads in Greenbriar are probably better so that is likely not so much of a concern.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:32 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,611,349 times
Greenbrier stands out due to WVSOM basically. All docs live there so it snoots the prices as salaries are 6 digits & most in the county don't make that combined w/ hub & wife & kids, haha. I lived in Lburg in late 90s, loved it, was going to attend WVSOM but decideded vs medicine as a career as healthcare began to be overtaken by corporations & conglomerates, etc.

Ok, a segway yes sorry, but Greenbrier holds its own ONLY due to this phenomena.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:04 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Greenbrier stands out due to WVSOM basically. All docs live there so it snoots the prices as salaries are 6 digits & most in the county don't make that combined w/ hub & wife & kids, haha. I lived in Lburg in late 90s, loved it, was going to attend WVSOM but decideded vs medicine as a career as healthcare began to be overtaken by corporations & conglomerates, etc.

Ok, a segway yes sorry, but Greenbrier holds its own ONLY due to this phenomena.
I doubt that's the only reason...honestly I have never even heard of WVSOM I had to look it up. I didn't know WV had something like that, pretty cool.
Stuff like this is what WV needs on a much wider scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia