Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 AM

91 posts, read 135,272 times

Advertisements

And how does it compare to Morgantown, outside of WVU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 01:26 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
Martinsburg is much smaller than Morgantown, but it's an hour drive from some of D.C.'s larger suburbs (Silver Spring, Tyson's Corners, etc.).

Old 04-19-2017, 03:12 PM

632 posts, read 831,931 times
Martinsburg probably compares most with South Charleston (pretend like Charleston isn't there) for a city in WV. Similar in size and personally I view it as bit rundown overall, more crime than Morgantown, large drug problem, and doesn't have much to do. On the plus side it's close to both Winchester, VA and Hagerstown, MD, but this is also a negative for Martinsburg as it's a reason that it hasn't been able to expand as much as it's potential. Jefferson county (Charles Town, Harper's Ferry, etc) is a lot nicer of an area, and a bit more rural. But it's also very expensive being in the DC suburbs and bordering the two richest counties in the U.S (and within an hour drive of about 7 of the next richest counties). Choosing between Martinsburg or Morgantown, I'd choose Morgantown every single time. Morgantown has a lot more to do in town. It's more of a lively city. It's growing more quickly. And it's overall a cheaper area to live

Last edited by 304eer; 04-19-2017 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 03:22 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Martinsburg probably compares most with South Charleston (pretend like Charleston isn't there) for a city in WV. Similar in size and personally I view it as bit rundown overall, more crime than Morgantown, and doesn't have much to do. On the plus side it's close to both Winchester, VA and Hagerstown, MD, but this is also a negative for Martinsburg as it's a reason that it hasn't been able to expand as much as it's potential. Jefferson county (Charles Town, Harper's Ferry, etc) is a lot nicer of an area, and a bit more rural. But it's also very expensive being in the DC suburbs and bordering the two richest counties in the U.S. Choosing between Martinsburg or Morgantown, I'd choose Morgantown every single time.
OP is from Maryland right?

Martinsburg is the westward fringe of the D.C. metro these days. If you have ever spent time in Washington County, MD, especially Hagerstown, that would be your closest comp. The land is in the Shenandoah Valley, so there is still agriculture aplenty and mostly flat/gently rolling hills, with Martinsburg City and the growing burbs around it.

Traffic isn't great......but then again neither is traffic in Morgantown, so take your pick there I guess. Overall, Morgantown is going to be more like "WV goes to college." While Martinsburg is "WV as bedroom community for suburbanites."

Old 04-20-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
OP is from Maryland right?

Martinsburg is the westward fringe of the D.C. metro these days. If you have ever spent time in Washington County, MD, especially Hagerstown, that would be your closest comp. The land is in the Shenandoah Valley, so there is still agriculture aplenty and mostly flat/gently rolling hills, with Martinsburg City and the growing burbs around it.

Traffic isn't great......but then again neither is traffic in Morgantown, so take your pick there I guess. Overall, Morgantown is going to be more like "WV goes to college." While Martinsburg is "WV as bedroom community for suburbanites."
I'm still in Charleston, but I'm trying to get out of here, and go to the northern half of WV.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:53 AM

862 posts, read 1,196,822 times
Quote:
Martinsburg probably compares most with South Charleston (pretend like Charleston isn't there) for a city in WV. Similar in size and personally I view it as bit rundown overall, more crime than Morgantown, large drug problem, and doesn't have much to do. On the plus side it's close to both Winchester, VA and Hagerstown, MD, but this is also a negative for Martinsburg as it's a reason that it hasn't been able to expand as much as it's potential. Jefferson county (Charles Town, Harper's Ferry, etc) is a lot nicer of an area, and a bit more rural. But it's also very expensive being in the DC suburbs and bordering the two richest counties in the U.S (and within an hour drive of about 7 of the next richest counties). Choosing between Martinsburg or Morgantown, I'd choose Morgantown every single time. Morgantown has a lot more to do in town. It's more of a lively city. It's growing more quickly. And it's overall a cheaper area to live

I agree !!! If I had to choose I pick Morgantown. Martinsburg isn't really too bad but it's not great either.
Yes it's rundown in places. When I lived on Porter Avenue there was a big factory across the street. The place had been closed for years. Every once in a while the lights would come on. Spooky !! A good place to die in and they wouldn't find your body for years if they ever do. Last time I was in Martinsburg ( 2015 ) that closed factory was still there. Why ?? The broken windows and stuff just tear it down but I guess Martinsburg doesn't see it that way.

You say "..On the plus side it's close to both Winchester, VA and Hagerstown, MD, but this is also a negative for Martinsburg as it's a reason that it hasn't been able to expand as much as it's potential. :. That is very true !! I used to work for WLTF/WEPM radio and my co-workers for the most part never shopped in Martinsburg even though they lived in Berkeley County. It was always Hagerstown and Winchester or even DC never Martinsburg and people wonder why JC Penney is closing there. Martinsburg's City Hospital was a joke. Sure if you cut your finger or broke a leg they went there but for other things like open heart surgery or for mental health they went straight to Hagerstown or Winchester. My co-worker at WLTF just last week had to take her husband to WINCHESTER just to be treated for alcoholism. That speakes volumes about the quality of health care in Martinsburg. You wouldn't have that problem in Morgantown.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 PM

Yeah, I've decided that Morgantown is the move for me.

Martinsburg was just a curiosity, and I'm going to heed the advice I've been given and not go there. only benefit it has is that it is an hour closer to DC, but the downsides don't outweigh that, imo.

So Morgantown it is.

just have to get it done, now. save up the money, find a position I can transfer to, find a place. that sort of thing.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:43 AM

632 posts, read 831,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadFour View Post
Yeah, I've decided that Morgantown is the move for me.

Martinsburg was just a curiosity, and I'm going to heed the advice I've been given and not go there. only benefit it has is that it is an hour closer to DC, but the downsides don't outweigh that, imo.

So Morgantown it is.

just have to get it done, now. save up the money, find a position I can transfer to, find a place. that sort of thing.

Can't remember what exactly you said that you did? Office Depot maybe? But you should check the hospitals, Mylan, and WVU for positions. These 3 are always hiring for a ton of positions. Morgantown is also getting an Amazon Distribution center that might be worth a look into.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Can't remember what exactly you said that you did? Office Depot maybe? But you should check the hospitals, Mylan, and WVU for positions. These 3 are always hiring for a ton of positions. Morgantown is also getting an Amazon Distribution center that might be worth a look into.
I work for Best Buy now. been there a year.

I've got some applications in, including at the Granville Best Buy(if I can land a spot there, that would be ideal cause i wouldn't have to leave the company).

I'm going out of town on Thursday and I'm gonna spend a couple of hours in Morgantown on Monday on my way back. Look at some apartments if I can and follow up on my job applications.

Amazon is coming there huh...interesting.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:17 PM

91 posts, read 129,897 times
Winchester, VA is also getting an Amazon center, right on the border with WV. Not far from Martinsburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia