Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 08:27 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
There is pointing out a cultural difference between Appalachia and the rest of the country, and then there is calling for the elimination/dispersal of entire group of people.

I am happy to see other posters reject the second opinion, while acknowledging the difference does impact the present and future of the state.

Lastly, and this is hard to say, but at some point you can't let the attitudes of others let you have low self esteem about yourself and your community. If I worked at a place where Appalachian folk were singled out for scorn and rejection, there would be a reckoning real quick. It isn't right to single out any race or ethnic group based on stereotypes in a business environment, that includes poor white people too.

I am happy too that so many people rejected this opinion. That's one of the reasons why I am glad to live here.

It's really hard for any of us to understand another person who had different life experiences from us and know what it's like to be in their shoes. Some people fail and it's not always just their fault. Many are told they are "trash" or "stupid" before they even know what it means.

We have many success stories though in WV. I also think it's totally ok though that many have just done the best they could. I know we have a good workforce and many talented people from here. Glad many have chosen to stay too. I think it would be a lot better if kids didn't have these negative messages to overcome in their formative years. It might be too late for some later.

Not sure how many are aware but WV's first female Rhodes scholar came from one of these unfortunate backgrounds. I remember as I was attending WVU in 1985 at the same time. A Rhodes scholar would have the opportunity to go anywhere, but she chose to stay in WV for much of the time apparently. She served as WV's Secretary of Education and the Arts. A google search showed me she is practicing law in Clay County as of 2016.

I bolded the above quote as many have no choice but to let the attitudes of others effect them. Once people get it in their head they are not good enough it's hard to overcome. She explains in her own words below. I wasn't aware of this until later. Below is an excerpt from testimony she gave to the US Senate about what she went through when asking for support for a program that helped her:

As Sen. Claiborne Pell (D-R.I.) leaned over to catch every word, Harmon- Schamberger explained that not only had she often gone to bed hungry, but also her home lacked even the basic amenities. "Until recently we did not have adequate heat," she said, describing how her family's clothes froze solid in a chest of drawers. The daughter of a white mother and a black father, Harmon-Schamberger said she had been abused and rejected by both blacks and whites. "For 13 years it was drummed into me that I couldn't succeed. I was never a good student." Her mother, who encouraged her to become a voracious reader, was her only supporter.
Then just when she was drowning in a sea of problems, Upward Bound became a life raft of opportunity by providing counseling, financial aid and academic training. She flunked 11th grade for health absences, and wanted to quit school. But a caring, perceptive Upward Bound guidance counselor spotted her talents and challenged her to use them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.5d9ec6c8457c

photo:Barbara Harmon Schamberger, Class of 1985, West Virginia University - West Virginia History OnView | WVU Libraries

Last edited by motownnative; 05-21-2017 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 02:19 PM

778 posts, read 796,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You are wrong......as I note......I'm from Cleveland....that's in Ohio. No one considered us rednecks.

Go anywhere in the country and ask some local what they think of when they think of Ohio, the answer will burst your bubble.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Go anywhere in the country and ask some local what they think of when they think of Ohio, the answer will burst your bubble.
90% will answer "The Brown's suck".

Old 05-22-2017, 04:12 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
90% will answer "The Brown's suck".
Pffft.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
[/b]
I am happy too that so many people rejected this opinion. That's one of the reasons why I am glad to live here.

It's really hard for any of us to understand another person who had different life experiences from us and know what it's like to be in their shoes. Some people fail and it's not always just their fault. Many are told they are "trash" or "stupid" before they even know what it means.

We have many success stories though in WV. I also think it's totally ok though that many have just done the best they could. I know we have a good workforce and many talented people from here. Glad many have chosen to stay too. I think it would be a lot better if kids didn't have these negative messages to overcome in their formative years. It might be too late for some later.

Not sure how many are aware but WV's first female Rhodes scholar came from one of these unfortunate backgrounds. I remember as I was attending WVU in 1985 at the same time. A Rhodes scholar would have the opportunity to go anywhere, but she chose to stay in WV for much of the time apparently. She served as WV's Secretary of Education and the Arts. A google search showed me she is practicing law in Clay County as of 2016.

I bolded the above quote as many have no choice but to let the attitudes of others effect them. Once people get it in their head they are not good enough it's hard to overcome. She explains in her own words below. I wasn't aware of this until later. Below is an excerpt from testimony she gave to the US Senate about what she went through when asking for support for a program that helped her:

As Sen. Claiborne Pell (D-R.I.) leaned over to catch every word, Harmon- Schamberger explained that not only had she often gone to bed hungry, but also her home lacked even the basic amenities. "Until recently we did not have adequate heat," she said, describing how her family's clothes froze solid in a chest of drawers. The daughter of a white mother and a black father, Harmon-Schamberger said she had been abused and rejected by both blacks and whites. "For 13 years it was drummed into me that I couldn't succeed. I was never a good student." Her mother, who encouraged her to become a voracious reader, was her only supporter.
Then just when she was drowning in a sea of problems, Upward Bound became a life raft of opportunity by providing counseling, financial aid and academic training. She flunked 11th grade for health absences, and wanted to quit school. But a caring, perceptive Upward Bound guidance counselor spotted her talents and challenged her to use them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.5d9ec6c8457c

photo:Barbara Harmon Schamberger, Class of 1985, West Virginia University - West Virginia History OnView | WVU Libraries
Yeah, low self esteem is something the Christian Brothers at my high school frequently commented on, especially in regard to the girls. I volunteer up there now coaching Mock Trial, and we make a big effort to empower the kids, again especially the girls, and teach them they are as smart, eloquent, and tough as any other kids in our state.

I think it is all a matter of finding the line between constructive criticism and destructive criticism, and keeping in mind that other human beings aren't disposable and treating anyone like that ensures you will never find the value in them.

A lack of human capital is an issue in WV, and Appalachia in general, but our communities will get farther understanding we are all in it together than if we turn on each other and start pointing fingers and assigning blame.

Last edited by westsideboy; 05-22-2017 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 09:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Yeah, low self esteem is something the Christian Brothers at my high school frequently commented on, especially in regard to the girls. I volunteer up there now coaching Mock Trial, and we make a big effort to empower the kids, again especially the girls, and teach them they are as smart, eloquent, and tough as any other kids in our state.

I think it is all a matter of finding the line between constructive criticism and destructive criticism, and keeping in mind that other human beings aren't disposable and treating anyone like that ensures you will never find the value in them.

A lack of human capital is an issue in WV, and Appalachia in general, but our communities will get farther understanding we are all in it together than if we turn on each other and start pointing fingers and assigning blame.
While I agree with you, it isn't easy getting past the 80+ years of things that deserve blame.

And, while we are one of the most resource wealthy states in the country, we are the only one that is stuck at the bottom of the heap because of the incredible greed and corruption that has taken place in our state government. It is still going on down there.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:42 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
Quote:

You stated the issue so well. I just want to say how impressed I am you would donate time to these young people. These efforts have value that no one can put a real price on. It can make a lasting impression, I remember things people said to me at 5 years old. People reaching out personally goes beyond what the government can always do and more than many parents can even if they try. Kids will see their parent's positive messages as an obligation; it means a LOT coming from outside an immediate family member.

Just wanted to mention too, many people also posted about our low crime rate and "live and let live" attitude. It's true and it makes it a haven in a crazy uncertain world. It is so amazing as we have high poverty but one of the lowest crime rates in the nation. Poverty and crime go hand in hand, but it doesn't here. There are reasons if anyone wants to looks deeper. I wish economists would work with sociologists more to see how the two are connected when planning or discussing a local economy. A community can be like an ecosystem in a sense where if one thing changes others do too and will eventually effect each other.

Crime increases statistically when affordable housing becomes unavailable. This is why it is rampant in cities when rent increases. Our rural poor own homes more often than rent. That's as brief as I can be, as it can be difficult for me to explain, but it plays a large part in the low rate of crime we enjoy and the live and let live attitude seen here. Everybody does have an important role and has value in the community. We ARE all in it together and people do generally care more when they own something.

I have seen almost no crime in 50 years until recently with the drug issues and that has been mainly theft.

You are absolutely right about not turning on each other. WV traditionally has politicians in a whipping boy role for a good reason. They need to do their job. I saw today our senators secured $402K in federal funding at WVU for rural development to be used statewide. That is good news that I hope will help.
West Virginia University receives $402K to help rural areas

Old 05-23-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
You stated the issue so well. I just want to say how impressed I am you would donate time to these young people. These efforts have value that no one can put a real price on. It can make a lasting impression, I remember things people said to me at 5 years old. People reaching out personally goes beyond what the government can always do and more than many parents can even if they try. Kids will see their parent's positive messages as an obligation; it means a LOT coming from outside an immediate family member.

Just wanted to mention too, many people also posted about our low crime rate and "live and let live" attitude. It's true and it makes it a haven in a crazy uncertain world. It is so amazing as we have high poverty but one of the lowest crime rates in the nation. Poverty and crime go hand in hand, but it doesn't here. There are reasons if anyone wants to looks deeper. I wish economists would work with sociologists more to see how the two are connected when planning or discussing a local economy. A community can be like an ecosystem in a sense where if one thing changes others do too and will eventually effect each other.

Crime increases statistically when affordable housing becomes unavailable. This is why it is rampant in cities when rent increases. Our rural poor own homes more often than rent. That's as brief as I can be, as it can be difficult for me to explain, but it plays a large part in the low rate of crime we enjoy and the live and let live attitude seen here. Everybody does have an important role and has value in the community. We ARE all in it together and people do generally care more when they own something.

I have seen almost no crime in 50 years until recently with the drug issues and that has been mainly theft.

You are absolutely right about not turning on each other. WV traditionally has politicians in a whipping boy role for a good reason. They need to do their job. I saw today our senators secured $402K in federal funding at WVU for rural development to be used statewide. That is good news that I hope will help.
West Virginia University receives $402K to help rural areas
Thanks. I was on the team in high school and saw how it helped myself and my teammates. It is a great honor to have been asked to help out, it is something our school takes seriously and has success with.

I fear the crime is coming. It is already beyond my comfort level where I live. I grew up never locking doors on cars, homes.........heck my grandparents house didn't even have a lock on the door, and they were gone 5 days out of the week. If you accidentally forget to lock up, there is still a 99% chance nothing bad will happen, but thefts and break-ins are sadly too common now.

I think the more rural the location, the longer the "poor but safe" rule will hold true. Small urban areas may see things get worse before they get better, and the higher number of rentals likely is a factor when compared to more rural places.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:57 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
There is pointing out a cultural difference between Appalachia and the rest of the country, and then there is calling for the elimination/dispersal of entire group of people.

I am happy to see other posters reject the second opinion, while acknowledging the difference does impact the present and future of the state.

I think the issue needs to explained out a little better. Yes, there are people who will reject an area where "PJ pant wearing Walmart shopping" is Friday night entertainment. There are some people who could care less. I suspect most people are in the middle though. I don't mind seeing or being around the salt of the earth types when I shop, go to free entertainment, etc. I do mind it when it comes to the schools my children attend and my immediate neighbors. So, we are back to mitigation.

Those are fixable issues in most moderate/large sized Appalachian communities. Realistically, that is where your growth will be anyway, greater Mo-town, Martinsburg, etc.

Action item: When you pitch WV as a location for business, make sure the visitors see the middle to upper class neighborhoods, the private schools or best public ones, include in your sales pitch the realities of living in Appalachia (the visitors will be thinking about it no matter what,) and how existing residents take advantage of the positives like lower housing costs, access to nature, small pond to nuture kids, and so forth, and the negatives. Any state, county, or municipal outreach team should have at least one, if not more, transplants to WV on them, so there is a transplant perspective on the community that those being recruited can relate to.

Lastly, and this is hard to say, but at some point you can't let the attitudes of others let you have low self esteem about yourself and your community. If I worked at a place where Appalachian folk were singled out for scorn and rejection, there would be a reckoning real quick. It isn't right to single out any race or ethnic group based on stereotypes in a business environment, that includes poor white people too.
Most people in the state don't know this because they don't live up here in the northern panhandle and most likely haven't experienced it... but there is an issue with companies in PA and OH discriminating against WV workers. I guess I'm mostly chiming in due to what you said in your last paragraph. There is definitely some issues there I have seen some glimpses of it. I'd be interested in talking to more people from the eastern panhandle one day and pick their brain on that subject, in regards to MD, VA, and D.C.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 05-25-2017 at 06:08 PM..

Old 05-25-2017, 08:25 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Most people in the state don't know this because they don't live up here in the northern panhandle and most likely haven't experienced it... but there is an issue with companies in PA and OH discriminating against WV workers. I guess I'm mostly chiming in due to what you said in your last paragraph. There is definitely some issues there I have seen some glimpses of it. I'd be interested in talking to more people from the eastern panhandle one day and pick their brain on that subject, in regards to MD, VA, and D.C.
See more than our fair share of companies based mostly in Virginia acquiring bids for construction work in the Eastern Panhandle area of WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia