Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:47 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times

Advertisements

Weirton is NOT a suburb of Pittsburgh. I have no idea what that means. It's almost an hour away.

Swissvale or Mt. Lebanon is a suburb of Pittsburgh.

A town is what you make of it. There is greenery in Weirton, Wellsburg areas. Though the natural gas industry is in the process of decimating whatever beauty is left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 12:50 PM

423 posts, read 1,237,660 times
Weirton sits on the border of Hancock and Brooke counties, and as mentioned borders with Ohio on the west and with Pennsylvania on the east. The OP mentioned hunting in specific, and my memory of growing up in Hancock county is that you're rather limited in hunting opportunities within West Virginia. I don't know what out of state license fees are for PA or Ohio, but I believe that there are greater hunting opportunities in either state, simply based on available land. I think that there are PA public hunting grounds alongside Rt 22 towards Pittsburgh.

North of Weirton are the towns of New Cumberland, Newell and Chester. Tomlinson Run State Park is north of Weirton, and I spent much of my younger years running, biking, fishing and hiking there. Newell is home to the Fiestaware factory, which could be financially impacting if your girlfriend has the opportunity to visit there. Raccoon Creek State Park is not far, over in the edge of Pennsylvania. Lots of history along this section of the Ohio River between Pittsburgh and Wheeling. I'm currently reading a local book entitled "Rockyside" that is about the brick making industry in New Cumberland and the namesake community that existed in the early 1900's.

As noted above, a town is what you make of it. Weirton could be a pretty nice place to live. Hopefully you'll enjoy your time there.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:20 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Weirton is NOT a suburb of Pittsburgh. I have no idea what that means. It's almost an hour away.

A town is what you make of it. There is greenery in Weirton, Wellsburg areas. Though the natural gas industry is in the process of decimating whatever beauty is left.
Indeed, it is exactly 38 miles from Weirton to Pittsburgh using expressway US 22 and the Parkway West, and while it does take almost an hour to get there if there are traffic tieups at the tunnels, it is essentially a de facto suburb of the 'Burg although officially the Pittsburgh Metro Area stops right at the eastern city limits of Weirton at Paris, PA. The Pittsburgh IAP is in between the two locations. I drove that route hundreds of times when I worked in that area. When traffic is heavy here in Morgantown, it can take 40 minutes to get from one side of town to the other, so the drive from Weirton to the 'Burg doesn't seem all that much to me. In fact, when my ex wife worked at UPMC Presby it could take 45 minutes to get from Oakland to the tunnels during rush hour.

The natural gas industry is in the process of providing economic growth and hope for an area that has for nearly 30 years suffered from a moribund economy, but there are folks who are protected by salary, tenure, or pension who see it as their prerogative to criticize anything that might be helping our embattled middle class recover from 45 straight years of globalist rip offs.

I believe everyone agrees that Weirton is not a place to go to find lots of greenery or outdoor amenities. It is, however, not all that far from them if one is willing to take a drive. If the goal is to weekend at nice parks or have whitewater activities or skiing, that is quite doable from there by hopping in the car.

All that said, I would recommend that these folks consider Uniontown, PA or Fairmont, WV to find the things they are looking for at a reasonable price level instead of Weirton, because those areas are much closer to the amenities they seek and relatively cost efficient. They also both have good school systems. If they can afford it, Morgantown would be even better but due to the demand to live here, it just ain't cheap.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-29-2017 at 10:49 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 09:06 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:

It is not an hour away it's a half hour drive not during rush hour. Both Weirton and Wheeling for the most part are part of the Pittsburgh metro however I agree they aren't suburbs, they are cities and county seats, similar to how Frederick is outside of Baltimore/D.C. If Uniontown is considered part of the Pittsburgh metro then Wheeling and Weirton would have to be, they are closer and bigger.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:52 AM

632 posts, read 832,531 times
Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsb...ropolitan_area

Weirton is in the CSA of Pittsburgh

Old 08-30-2017, 09:03 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Actually, Wheeling (which is a little further away) should be considered to be in the 'Burgh area too. Lots of people from Wheeling work in Pittsburgh, and many Pittsburgers shop at the Highlands. It isn't seamless and so forth from Wheeling to Washington, but they are close to each other and there is a lot of interaction there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia