Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 08:16 PM

91 posts, read 135,156 times

Advertisements

my G/F and I have settled on Hagerstown, MD. we made the down payment on our 2br this morning and we move in on the 1st of December.

She wants to GTFO out of WV asap, and Hagerstown is quite close to where my daughter lives, while still being affordable for us.

so...thanks for all the patience and answers about...basically everywhere in WV.

and so long, Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 10:12 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
hahahaha Hagerstown MD is NO Different than WV. Over the past 40+ years I lived in Both Hagerstown MD & WV. I also have friends in MD they HATE living there. Slums & Drugs in Hagerstown are 2 X what they are in WV. Unemployment is Rock Bottom Property Taxes 2X WV..... Good Luck cause you going to need it!

Old 10-31-2017, 06:18 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
hahahaha Hagerstown MD is NO Different than WV. Over the past 40+ years I lived in Both Hagerstown MD & WV. I also have friends in MD they HATE living there. Slums & Drugs in Hagerstown are 2 X what they are in WV. Unemployment is Rock Bottom Property Taxes 2X WV..... Good Luck cause you going to need it!
I second that, unfortunately. I grew up 20 minutes from there in the EP. I'd argue Hagerstown is worse than any WV city in terms of drugs and crime (aside from Huntington).

Although, I do know plenty of people who live there and like it.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:07 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,261 times
Congratulations!

I wouldn't worry about Hagerstown too much. Like every town, it has its good parts and its bad. As long as you stay on the suburban fringe, with only occasional trips downtown, you'll be smooth sailing.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:51 PM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
Hate to pile on here but I have a lot of friends and family near Hagerstown in WV so I know a good bit about the city. The grass is not always greener. Your gf may want out of WV, but her bubble is going to burst by moving to Hagerstown. Its a significant downgrade from Charleston where you are now and a good portion of WV for that matter. Good luck but Hagerstown is not a nice city or a nice place to live

Old 10-31-2017, 02:32 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Oh, come now people. OP's post is not the most polite, but Hagerstown isn't some horrible pit. Yes, it does have some bad neighborhoods, and optics of the downtown are bad, but the rest of the residential parts of the city and WaCo in general are pretty good places to live.

That said, it isn't much different than the EP of WV, they are in the same cultural region and experiencing the same benefits/drawbacks from being the outer community circle of the D.C. metro. I would think of it "sorta WV" at a "sorta MD" price point.

Good luck.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:37 AM

91 posts, read 135,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Oh, come now people. OP's post is not the most polite, but Hagerstown isn't some horrible pit. Yes, it does have some bad neighborhoods, and optics of the downtown are bad, but the rest of the residential parts of the city and WaCo in general are pretty good places to live.

That said, it isn't much different than the EP of WV, they are in the same cultural region and experiencing the same benefits/drawbacks from being the outer community circle of the D.C. metro. I would think of it "sorta WV" at a "sorta MD" price point.

Good luck.
I wasnt trying to be rude. I was just saying thanks for putting up with my constant questions for literally years.

As far as Hagerstown goes, I feel like the forum is just being super defensive about WV. WV is what it is. My GF has had a horrible life with her ****ty family in WV and she wants to get away from them. That's all. There is no need for ya'll to go into attack mode here.

From my experience there, the "Hagerstown is the literal 4th pit of hell" that is being stated here seems to be a bit exaggerated. I just don't see it. It seems about the same as Charleston. Maybe a bit more populated and slightly more diverse. But about the same overall.

But that is neither here nor there. Hagerstown is a stepping stone until I can afford to live in Frederick, and eventually moving back to PG County where my daughter is.

My point in this thread was not to bash on your beloved WV, but merely that I have been here asking questions about moving for years, and now I am finally actually going to move.

Dang.

Last edited by JMadFour; 11-01-2017 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-01-2017, 12:04 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadFour View Post
I wasnt trying to be rude. I was just saying thanks for putting up with my constant questions for literally years.

As far as Hagerstown goes, I feel like the forum is just being super defensive about WV. WV is what it is. My GF has had a horrible life with her ****ty family in WV and she wants to get away from them. That's all. There is no need for ya'll to go into attack mode here.

From my experience there, the "Hagerstown is the literal 4th pit of hell" that is being stated here seems to be a bit exaggerated. I just don't see it. It seems about the same as Charleston. Maybe a bit more populated and slightly more diverse. But about the same overall.

But that is neither here nor there. Hagerstown is a stepping stone until I can afford to live in Frederick, and eventually moving back to PG County where my daughter is.

My point in this thread was not to bash on your beloved WV, but merely that I have been here asking questions about moving for years, and now I am finally actually going to move.

Dang.
My apologies, the wording of your OP led several including myself to think differently. Us WV'ians are very protective of their state, as we should be. Had this been your OP I promise they wouldn't have gone "attack mode". Don't worry, I am a native WV'ian and I even get attacked for pointing out flaws in a constructive way. I feel your pain.

Anyway, I wish you and your girlfriend the best of luck.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:09 PM

456 posts, read 602,139 times
I like the whole area. the area that includes 4 states and D.C. has alot to offer. some towns I like more than others. good luck in Hagerstown and you eventual move to your daughter. we all live places that are determined by many factors and we make the best of them.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:14 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I am Not Defending WV But I Know from living in Martinsburg WV & Hagerstown MD Hagerstown is Nothing But White trash [I am White so don't go there] ... No Pride at all. You better off moving to Frederick or PG than stopping in Hagerstown. Why not get your DD to help you find a place near her IF that's your goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia