Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:45 AM

16,903 posts, read 16,064,479 times

Advertisements

What a big fuss over some of our coolest bugs. I love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 11:55 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,880 times
For stink bugs David is right on.... garden sprayer with water & dish soap. A few second burst on each bug does 'em in. It takes a 15 seconds or so then they will do a dramatic death scene. Or use a jar filled with soapy water. Hold it directly under the bug and move it up until the edge just touches the bug. It will do a back flip into the pool of death and you don't have to touch them or sweep them up.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:03 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,755,915 times
Jani I've seen both of them here- that brown armor plated looking one and the asian lady bug. The brown one didn't multiply enough to make me alarmed, but those lady bugs ran through my cabbage patch in one day. Seven powder spared my garden from another round.

If you find out more about those brown bugs, please post more.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:16 PM

98 posts, read 226,268 times
Ugh! I had some this past fall around my front porch because I leave the light on at night. From what I've read, they are attracted to light.

Now - in January and we have snow on the ground, I've found one in the house on Sunday, one yesterday and one this afternoon.

I am terrified of an invasion this spring/summer when warm weather hits.

Anyone else finding them inside due to the snow outside?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:18 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,369,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomziIIa View Post
Ugh! I had some this past fall around my front porch because I leave the light on at night. From what I've read, they are attracted to light.

Now - in January and we have snow on the ground, I've found one in the house on Sunday, one yesterday and one this afternoon.

I am terrified of an invasion this spring/summer when warm weather hits.

Anyone else finding them inside due to the snow outside?
Yep, they come out from their hiding places to get warm. They like to hide in boxes, like our Christmas tree so I always have to vacumn when putting it up.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 PM

28 posts, read 77,999 times
The ugly brown stink bugs that you are seeing is a recent import from China, and it has become a huge problem in the Eastern Panhandle. My pest control company said they don't have a spray that kills them yet. I read that the smell they secrete contains cyanide, and it is a defense mechanism for predators. I don't know that they have any predators. The smell attracts more stink bugs, and they crawl into your windows to stay warm and hide for the winter. If you aggitate them they make the smell and make a stain, and even lay eggs. We have been picking them off the inside of our windows one by one since October. I have not seen as many, but I know I have not got them all because I caught 4 this week. Back in October we would catch a dozen a day. We have a gatorade bottle that we fill with water and pluck them down into the bottle and close the lid. We usually seem them on our sliding glass door and windows. Don't squash them! You can also flush them down the toilet.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,354,996 times
^^^ Good advice. I sprayed my windows and doors before it got too cold and still a few got in. I'll be sitting here in the middle of the night and one will land on the monitor (it's obvious they are attracted to light). I pick them up with a napkin and flush 'em. This has been the worst year we've had them around.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,293,197 times
Collect them in a jar and mail them to Charleston for the next legislative session...

Old 01-14-2011, 05:42 AM

16,903 posts, read 16,064,479 times
I love our native stinkbugs.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM

537 posts, read 956,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I love our native stinkbugs.
I've got a few I might be willing to part with -- make your best offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia