U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:25 AM

109 posts, read 67,252 times

Advertisements

Is the opioid epidemic as bad as I’ve been reading in WV? I’ve seen a lot of people mentioning that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 09:37 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,617,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKreidler View Post
Is the opioid epidemic as bad as I’ve been reading in WV? I’ve seen a lot of people mentioning that.
It is a serious issue in much of WV. Huntington has made some HUGE progress dealing with it.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:35 AM

778 posts, read 526,986 times
Quote:

Yes and no.

The reporting of it is sensationalized but the truth is much more stark and to those personally affected, dire. I and everyone I know in my circle of family, friends and co-workers never see any thing about it except on the news. The opioid crisis is compartmentalized in the demography. If you are not part of that segment, you will not see it, well, unless you work in the health system, police or government social services. Crime in West Virginia is the same way, if you are not part of the population demographic involved, you will not see any of it. I am trying to be very evasive on this reply because when you blurt out just who those demographics actually are, you get all sorts of labels attached to you.

Just look up statistics or call a local police station in the neighborhood that seems interesting to you. Better yet, call the local ambulance or fire service, they will give you the scuttlebutt.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:10 AM

22,564 posts, read 48,422,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Yes and no.

The reporting of it is sensationalized but the truth is much more stark and to those personally affected, dire. I and everyone I know in my circle of family, friends and co-workers never see any thing about it except on the news. The opioid crisis is compartmentalized in the demography. If you are not part of that segment, you will not see it, well, unless you work in the health system, police or government social services. Crime in West Virginia is the same way, if you are not part of the population demographic involved, you will not see any of it. I am trying to be very evasive on this reply because when you blurt out just who those demographics actually are, you get all sorts of labels attached to you.

Just look up statistics or call a local police station in the neighborhood that seems interesting to you. Better yet, call the local ambulance or fire service, they will give you the scuttlebutt.
Are you kidding? The opioid issue reaches across all demographics.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/831319

Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 AM

778 posts, read 526,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Are you kidding? The opioid issue reaches across all demographics.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/831319

Does the opioid concern reach individuals from all demographics? Yes. Are those demographics equally represented? No. A small fraction of the people in most demographics are part of the opioid issue, but in other demographics it is a significant percentage. I am sorry you are either not educated enough on this subject to know the difference or you do not wish to know. We do live in an age of victim-hood.

Talk to any police department and they will tell you which groups are affected and which groups are not. Notice, I did not say individuals. The question was concerning opioids and crime in West Virginia and I tried to be subtle in my response, but if you want the more stark version you can private message me because I will not state the obvious here and bring Mensa or Yac down on my head. Anyone, aware of society at all and these issues knows exactly what I am talking about and I believe, so do you.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:52 PM

5,260 posts, read 8,466,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Does the opioid concern reach individuals from all demographics? Yes. Are those demographics equally represented? No. A small fraction of the people in most demographics are part of the opioid issue, but in other demographics it is a significant percentage. I am sorry you are either not educated enough on this subject to know the difference or you do not wish to know. We do live in an age of victim-hood.

Talk to any police department and they will tell you which groups are affected and which groups are not. Notice, I did not say individuals. The question was concerning opioids and crime in West Virginia and I tried to be subtle in my response, but if you want the more stark version you can private message me because I will not state the obvious here and bring Mensa or Yac down on my head. Anyone, aware of society at all and these issues knows exactly what I am talking about and I believe, so do you.
I dunno man. I have a graduate degree, attended private school K-16, am married with kids, own a home, have no criminal record, yet I know several people who have either died or survived opiod ODs. Good people who got sucked down by a powerful drug and couldn't get back up for air.

I am going to disagree and say that from my experience in Appalachia right across the river from WV that the problem can't be avoided simply by staying away from any one demographic It is a problem of the poor and the well off, the employed and the unemployed, the chronic junky who did it on purpose, and the naive person who fell into from poorly managing their prescriptions.

Yes, you can avoid the most obvious signs of the problem, like needles in yards, junkies leaning on street polls, etc. by pricing yourself out of most urban areas and into higher dollar suburbs, but the problem will still be there. It is more about mitigating the problem than avoiding it, because that is impossible right now.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:17 PM

4,473 posts, read 7,498,991 times
Quote:
TB1138, thank you very much!!!! I am looking over the links you sent me������ can you tell me about the climate, and possibly taxes? I believe I read somewhere on a forum post that winters dip into the 60’s? Is that rly as low as the temperature goes?! Our last winterbit dipped into -15, so 60’s would be a blessing! I know Virginia has some higher tax rates, they also don’t have any breed specific legislation when it comes to or dogs (pittbull rescues). Do you know anything about the taxes or know if any pittbull bans in the local area? Being able to bring our dogs is one of our top priorities.
The climate here in Huntington is relatively mild. February is typically the coldest month with temps usually in the 10s to 20s and we don't get a whole lot of snow here. Here's a link for some of the averages:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/uswv0358

As for taxes, below you will find a link to WV State Taxes which are the majority of taxes you will encounter. Huntington also has a "user fee" of $5 per week that goes towards roads and police as well as a 1% sales tax. If you are in city limits, there is also a municipal service fee but that is nearly offset by a decrease in homeowners insurance due to professional police and fire.

https://taxfoundation.org/state/west-virginia/

Business & Occupation Tax | City of Huntington

As for dogs, there is a small county tax that helps to cover costs for the local animal shelter. The county also has a leash law for when the dogs aren't on your property. There are no breed bans here but there was talk of a muzzle rule for pittbulls about 10 years ago due to a couple of high profile incidents with the breed. I don't think anything ever really came of it but if it did, it isn't really enforced as I see dogs of that breed out and about all the time with no restrictions. If anything, I'd imagine it isn't really considered unless the individual dog has any issues. If you contact the local animal shelter, they would likely be able to tell you more.

HCW Shelter - Home

I hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or