Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:23 AM

87 posts, read 307,729 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering making West Virginia our destination for our Summer vacation. For lodging, we would be looking for a cabin to stay in near the nature of the state. We do also want to see some of the cities and towns, but don't even know where would be the best place to make our primary "hub" for the week. Charleston? Morgantown? Huntington? Somewhere else?

Which option is going to have the best of everything? Outdoor beauty, (a Minor League Baseball team for my amusement..lol), hiking, restaurants, bars, a great used book store of tea shop (for my wife's amusement), etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 09:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,965,537 times
I have no idea what accommodations are as far as cabins go but if that was my desire I would probably stay in the New River Gorge/Summersville area. Just a short trip to Charleston and the WV Power minor league ball club. A lot to do and see if you take the time to find it.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no idea what accommodations are as far as cabins go but if that was my desire I would probably stay in the New River Gorge/Summersville area. Just a short trip to Charleston and the WV Power minor league ball club. A lot to do and see if you take the time to find it.
So, is West Virginia not quite as big of a hotbed for "cabin country" or outdoor adventure as, say, the Great Smoky Mountain area of Tennessee?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:00 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,369,748 times
Figure out what place you want to stay in and then search Airbnb is my suggestion.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:04 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,216,578 times
Not sure where I would make my central location, but I would definitely include Morgantown and surrounding areas on your to visit list, we have a minor league team, a ton of restaurants and bars, a true Barnes and Nobel plus 2 college location Barnes and Nobel's (not sure about used book stores though), have a tea shop (has a tea serving room that serves tea and sandwiches) in an old glass factory building in downtown, a very relaxed atmosphere during the summer while the majority of the students from West Virginia University are gone, plus there are a ton of outdoor activities in this area (coopers rock, rail trails, cheat lake, white water rafting on the cheat, a state forest with a bunch of trails). I would also make sure to go down to New River Gorge area. Regarding cabins, I know the state owns and rents them out at Coopers Rock.

About Coopers Rock and Things To Do There: https://wvstateparks.com/park/cooper...-state-forest/

Cabins: https://mountaincreekcabins.com/cabins/coopers-rock/

Things to do near Morgantown: https://www.tourmorgantown.com/102-t...er-morgantown/

Tea shop: http://www.theteashoppewv.com/

Last edited by WVUmatt; 05-08-2018 at 10:16 AM..

Old 05-08-2018, 10:25 AM

If we don't go with Cabins, but rather go the route of camping, what tent camping options are there as far as State Parks and Campgrounds?

Old 05-08-2018, 12:16 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,589,852 times
We live in the DC area and have taken some friends on rafting trips down the New River. We always stay at Hemlock Haven off US-19 near Fayetteville:

West Virginia Cabin Rentals, West Virginia lodging - Hemlock Haven WV

The cabins are all very nice and have outdoor hot tubs and fire pits. In addition, they are pet friendly if that is important to you. We enjoy the proximity to Adventures on the Gorge, ACE Adventure Resort (both of which also have lodging options) which are the two outfitters we've used. In addition to rafting, there are numerous other tourist options close by including: the New River Gorge, Fayetteville, Summersville Lake, Hawks Nest State Park, etc. If you wanted to go into Charleston one night to attend a West Virginia Power baseball game, the drive is about an hour and 15 minutes.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:28 PM

3,706 posts, read 2,652,613 times
Pocahontas County is it. Not called "The Quiet Zone" for nothing ...

Old 05-08-2018, 01:17 PM

These suggestions all give me some great ideas to go off of to start with.

Thank You all of you for your input! I sincerely appreciate it!

Old 05-08-2018, 06:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,965,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2d Bald Dude View Post
So, is West Virginia not quite as big of a hotbed for "cabin country" or outdoor adventure as, say, the Great Smoky Mountain area of Tennessee?
There are probably plenty, I've simply not used any in that area.

The absolute best spot in WV to pitch a tent is Seneca Shadows, all the way in the back. There is an open field with tent spots. The view in the morning when the mist starts to break up is unbeatable.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/s...O&parkId=70322
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia