Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 03:44 PM

111 posts, read 98,581 times

Advertisements

I’ve been researching locations for a southern relocation for myself and my husband. I’ve narrowed the areas I’m very interested in down to a few parts of Tennessee, possibly Southwest VA, and recently came across information about how temperate West Virginia can be. A large concern for me is the acceptance/ safety of our dogs, they are Pitbull rescues. We have no children, so our dogs are our babies. Could anyone provide me with additional information about West Virginia?. I understand this is a vast area to cover, however, my key concentrations are: dog friendly areas, quiet neighborhoods, Comcast/Xfinity service area (my husband is a technician and we would like to transfer his job), within a reasonable distance to “things to do” (we’re in our early 30’s extremely responsible so we’re not really into clubbing or that “scene”). I welcome detailed replies! THANK YOU AHEAD OF TIME🙂🙂🙂

When are you moving? HOPING for summer-fall of 2019
Where are you coming from? North East Pennsylvania
Why are you moving? Warmer weather, better outdoor activities, better economy, more thriving state
Where will you be working? I work from home, my husband works for Comcast/Xfinity. We are hoping to be able to transfer his job to the local area
Have you been here ? No, hoping to visit this summer sometime July-Aug.

Will you buy or rent? Will rent while we look for the area/house to buy. Will need a rental that accepts medium sized dogs less than 65 lbs. They are mixes we rescued, but they are our kids as we don't have children.

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Preferably a nice house under 200-250k.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Would prefer to rent a house, ok with an apartment that is dog friendly.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Not familiar with these terms, but I think a walk up

Are you married or single? Married
Do you have children? no
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? Yes, 2 mixed breed medium sized dogs. 5-6 yrs old
Do you want or need a yard? Preferably, yes.
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet, but within a reasonable distance to the bustle ql

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on dog friendly areas for relocation from NE PA.-f1ecaac5-9aba-4893-80cb-7d5e2a7f9f8d.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 01:34 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times

Old 05-14-2018, 04:39 AM

K1, my post says I’m relocating from NePA, I’m looking to leave PA not move to PA.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:04 PM

537 posts, read 958,235 times
If you want "nightlife", WV may not be the place for you.
I'm out here in the Eastern Panhandle, the best you could get there would be Harpers Ferry, 90 minutes away from DC.

Maybe Morgantown (WV Univ) has some nightlife?

Old 05-14-2018, 05:07 PM

Sorry, work, basic services are our biggest concerns. We don’t rly go out very often.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:11 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times
I think the Huntington area might suit most of your needs. Most importantly, Comcast is here and would be a place that your husband could transfer to. There's also a decent amount to do here with concerts and events at our local arena and theaters, a great parks system that includes 2 dog parks and a lot of offerings through Marshall University for athletics, theater, etc. We are also only a 2-3 hour drive to a lot of other cities like Columbus, Cincinnati and Lexington. If you like outdoor activities, a 2-3 hour drive would take you to a lot of great offerings in West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio. All of the great activities at the New River Gorge are about 2 hours away. My wife and I made that trip this past weekend. We also love Red River Gorge in KY and Hocking Hills in Ohio. There are lots of other places that we plan to travel to like Cumberland Falls (KY) and the Greenbrier River Trail (WV). Huntington has a vibrant downtown that is improving each year and the largest mall in the state is here as well. A new development called The Market has also just opened up downtown and the ice cream place inside, Austin's, has free ice cream treats for your dogs called pup cups to add to the dog friendly atmosphere. The articles below detail some of the pet centered activities as well. For your price range, you could afford a nice house in the hills above Huntington or in one of the suburbs on the outskirts. Here are some links that you may find helpful and let me know if you have any other questions!

Home

City of Huntington

https://pullman-square.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TheMarketHuntington/

Ritter Park to host Canine Carnival on May 12 | Features/Entertainment | herald-dispatch.com

Ritter Park Dog Park reopens in time for summer | News | herald-dispatch.com

Yappy Hour For Dogs Coming To The Bodega | Downtown Huntington

Old 05-14-2018, 07:21 PM

TB1138, thank you very much!!!! I am looking over the links you sent me������ can you tell me about the climate, and possibly taxes? I believe I read somewhere on a forum post that winters dip into the 60’s? Is that rly as low as the temperature goes?! Our last winterbit dipped into -15, so 60’s would be a blessing! I know Virginia has some higher tax rates, they also don’t have any breed specific legislation when it comes to or dogs (pittbull rescues). Do you know anything about the taxes or know if any pittbull bans in the local area? Being able to bring our dogs is one of our top priorities.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:51 PM

537 posts, read 958,235 times
"Dipped into the 60's" -- what the heck??

We're not Florida. We can dip into the 20's, or even the 10's, or (not that often) the 0's!

Old 05-14-2018, 07:56 PM

Honestly, when I read it I thought it had to be a typo, that’s why I asked again.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:19 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Huntington doesn't seem to get quite as cold or see quite as much snow as Charleston does in the wintertime, but winter does happen. It gets cold. It snows. Sometimes the snow is deep enough to make it dangerous for school buses to travel, so schools get closed for a day or two.

Huntington has recently received two large grants to be used for improvements to the city in recognition for Huntington to be one of the best places to live in America. Good things are happening there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia