U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:09 AM

4,423 posts, read 5,099,495 times

Advertisements

Well the trip came and went. Sadly we got to Weirton just as everything was closing down for the night (quite an early sleeper, Weirton). So we missed out on Tudor's by a few hours.

Unfortunately, the only place still operating a dine-in room was the Long John Silvers. While not a local business, I don't have any left where I live so I figured what the heck! Beats Burger King again. haha

The LJS in Weirton is still the classic nineties decor, which was amazing to see again in person. Immediate nostalgia. The food was made well and the staff were tired, but super friendly. I made sure to personally thank them for doing such a great job with the food. Really some of the best LJS I've had in decades.

I figure next year when I roll through, we'll try and make Tudor's on the return trip. I still very much wish to try it! Sadly this year the return trip had to be through Cleveland rather than Pittsburgh, so I had to go north of all that jazz.

Nonetheless, the food is once more excellent in Weirton, even if it is just a major fast-chain. It was a blast to visit again. I took my Scottish buddy to the war memorial. He's a big tank, plane and artillery enthusiast. So we had a good time there before heading further west.

We drove through town just to update our mental image of the place, and I noticed they seem to be tearing the old factory (or refinery? I'm not sure what it was but it's enormous and beautiful in its own way) apart. Whole first floor is wide open.

When next July rolls in, I'll tell y'all if I made it to Tudor's finally.

Cheers!

P.S. Anybody ever heard of Bovine? An alleged burger place that google insists exists, but does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 02:41 PM

397 posts, read 1,068,796 times
I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip. There is currently demolition work going on with the old portions of Weirton Steel. Back in the 50's/60's/70's, the Weirton Steel Corporation was the biggest employer in the county. My dad worked his entire career there, and retired from there. The steel industry started declining in the late 70's (others can chime in with more info), and has pretty much fallen away. A small portion of the mill has remained in operation, and now large portions of the decaying buildings are being removed. I worked there for a couple of years during college, and then moved away.

I had the chance to eat at Theo Yanni's restaurant in Weirton a few weeks ago, and the food was delicious. There are several ethnic food festivals in town through the summer. I think that the Greek festival was going on when I was there.

Again, glad that you enjoyed your trip.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:24 PM

4,423 posts, read 5,099,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip. There is currently demolition work going on with the old portions of Weirton Steel. Back in the 50's/60's/70's, the Weirton Steel Corporation was the biggest employer in the county. My dad worked his entire career there, and retired from there. The steel industry started declining in the late 70's (others can chime in with more info), and has pretty much fallen away. A small portion of the mill has remained in operation, and now large portions of the decaying buildings are being removed. I worked there for a couple of years during college, and then moved away.

I had the chance to eat at Theo Yanni's restaurant in Weirton a few weeks ago, and the food was delicious. There are several ethnic food festivals in town through the summer. I think that the Greek festival was going on when I was there.

Again, glad that you enjoyed your trip.
Theo Yanni's is a place I'd like to try as well. I love Greek and the like.

It's a steel mill! Alright, I kinda thought so but made no assumptions. Glad I got to see it before it's gone, that place is an engineering marvel. Massive, massive building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia