U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 02:01 PM

388 posts, read 90,696 times

Advertisements

I am visiting Northern West Virginia this summer and scouting for a good place to retire. My interest so far is either somewhere in the Morgantown or Berkeley Springs areas. Anyone have any ideas for me? We are an older couple who are looking for a friendly and relaxed environment, but not too far from a city with a major airport and other amenities. The weather looks pretty good in Berkeley Springs. I am sure open to ideas about these or other places, and would love to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 02:51 PM

366 posts, read 327,948 times
I don't think you can go wrong with either. Morgantown I would look on the outskirts for many reasons mostly cost. Both are near major airports, healthcare, attractions and shopping. Weather is probably mostly the same with Morgantown averaging a little more snowfall. It probably comes down to preferences in location.My favorite town in the eastern panhandle is Sheperdstown and around Morgantown I would prefer the Cheat lake area or the western part of the county. Bridgeport is a nice area not far from Morgantown also or even near by Wanyesburg in PA although taxes are probably higher there. I love both areas.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:32 PM

5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
Berkeley Springs, hands down. The town is much smaller and very quaint. No college students. Much much less traffic, close to D.C. and Baltimore, but still far enough away to feel like you are getting away from it all. The vibe is also tremendous. It is a mix of locals, tourists, transplants, all drawn in by the water. People just hang around the Springs for hours, chatting with people, dipping their feet. Life is very relaxed there.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:52 PM

388 posts, read 90,696 times
Thank you for the information. We will be visiting both areas, and really looking forward to it.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:05 AM

778 posts, read 525,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Berkeley Springs, hands down. The town is much smaller and very quaint. No college students. Much much less traffic, close to D.C. and Baltimore, but still far enough away to feel like you are getting away from it all. The vibe is also tremendous. It is a mix of locals, tourists, transplants, all drawn in by the water. People just hang around the Springs for hours, chatting with people, dipping their feet. Life is very relaxed there.

While I agree, every place in the EP is changing quickly. What it is like there today is not what it is going to be like tomorrow. Where and when it will calm down is not knowable at this point. Morgantown has reached a plateau for now; what you see is what you get and not much else is going to change in a generation. Urban growth is typically like that, burst of activity for 5 to 10 years then a digestion period of 10 to 15. Morgantown has grown a lot lately and I think that tank has run dry, for now.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 AM

1,596 posts, read 820,472 times
I hate Morgantown. Traffic, sprawl. Give me Berkeley Springs any day. Cheap to live there as well for the most part.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:09 AM

How did Berkeley Springs fare in the flood? I saw some very unfortunate pictures of the State Park, completely under water.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:26 AM

890 posts, read 1,326,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
How did Berkeley Springs fare in the flood? I saw some very unfortunate pictures of the State Park, completely under water.
Not well at all. It appear in some of the pictures I saw that the town was flooded pretty badly. Not deep like 4-10 feet inside buildings but it was not kind to the town.

Saddens me to see water damage property as it has happened to me.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Not well at all. It appear in some of the pictures I saw that the town was flooded pretty badly. Not deep like 4-10 feet inside buildings but it was not kind to the town.

Saddens me to see water damage property as it has happened to me.
Update: I was down at the Springs today. All of the state park, save one small muddy section was open to the public. I didn't see any damage, it was like the other times we have gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or