Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 04:20 PM

110 posts, read 224,153 times

Advertisements

Two NPR pieces about Keyser WV stressing the move from coal to wind power.
The first one is longer and has several photos.

This is what happens when a wind farm comes to a coal town
February 26, 20245:00 AM ET
https://www.npr.org/2024/02/26/12331...t-newtab-en-us

Wind Power Is Taking Over A West Virginia Coal Town. Will The Residents Embrace It?
February 21, 20242:27 PM ET
https://www.npr.org/2024/02/21/11989...t=nprml&f=1131
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 05:03 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I tried. I really did, up until literally every photo was an attempt to demean and insult. Shoot everything in twlight, find faded American flags, a dude in casual clothes with a pit bull, some Trump flags. The content was drivel, coal used to be mined near here, people had jobs in that industry, look, a windmill!

Just another BS click bait "local color" piece for urban/suburbanites to spend 4 minutes on, be a little judgy about, then move on.

I live 20 miles from there. Those windmills are an abomination on what is one of the most beautiful places you could ever be, a deep, deep valley right up against the towering Allegheny front. It takes what God made beautiful and defiles it with human garbage so billionaires can get tax breaks. "Wind energy" with no ability to store power of the grid with battery tech is a scam.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:06 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,509,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I tried. I really did, up until literally every photo was an attempt to demean and insult. Shoot everything in twlight, find faded American flags, a dude in casual clothes with a pit bull, some Trump flags. The content was drivel, coal used to be mined near here, people had jobs in that industry, look, a windmill!

Just another BS click bait "local color" piece for urban/suburbanites to spend 4 minutes on, be a little judgy about, then move on.

I live 20 miles from there. Those windmills are an abomination on what is one of the most beautiful places you could ever be, a deep, deep valley right up against the towering Allegheny front. It takes what God made beautiful and defiles it with human garbage so billionaires can get tax breaks. "Wind energy" with no ability to store power of the grid with battery tech is a scam.
Just like coal mining and other extraction industries have done for generations. I don’t mean that to take one side over another, just pointing out a trend here.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:18 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Just like coal mining and other extraction industries have done for generations. I don’t mean that to take one side over another, just pointing out a trend here.
That's fair. The article clearly takes one side over the other, in so far as it has a purpose other than to point fingers and gawk at a small Appalachian town that is down on its luck.

I am not convinced groups of windmills on Appalachian ridges are there because they produce power in any amount or with the consistency to replace dirtier fuel sources. My understanding, and it could be wrong, is that there is no battery mechanism to store that power off the grid, and they are mostly there because the same companies that burn coal and natural gas can get tax breaks for putting them up.

Again, if my understanding of the tech is 5-10 years off and those suckers are churning and saving the use of tons of coal each day, anyone can let me know. I live 20 minutes from Keyser, and the part of the article I read and agreed with is that most local people HATE them, they do nothing for us and scar and mar the view of our beautiful mountains.

Old 03-04-2024, 06:58 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
The left likes to portray WV as stupid hillbillies refusing to change for (the Left's version of) "better". I support clean coal as a necessary part of the energy mix that provides safety and security to the USA. And I'm a treehugger, too.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:34 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
The left likes to portray WV as stupid hillbillies refusing to change for (the Left's version of) "better". I support clean coal as a necessary part of the energy mix that provides safety and security to the USA. And I'm a treehugger, too.
Couldn't agree more! You can't run everything off of inconsistent energy forms like wind and solar. Half the time those windmills aren't even moving. I live in NY, and the millions of solar panels up here are covered in snow for a good chunk of the year. I am all for clean energy, but there needs to be a mixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia