Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 01:34 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times

Advertisements

Hello guys...

Just looking for your opinions and expertise.

In traveling from western NY to coastal SC next week and I've for 2 routes I can't decide which would be better and I'm hoping you may have helpful current info. (traffic, construction, speed traps, delays)

For comparison let's say I'm leaving Erie, PA and going to wytheville, va.

Route 1 takes I79 South through PA, to US 19 to I77. I've read a lot of bad things about US19 (worlds longest speed trap etc..) this is the shortest mileage and most direct route.

Or

Route 2, continue west on I90 to I271 before Cleveland to I77 South the whole way. This route is 40-50 miles farther but it's all interstate.

Which is the better route?

Are there any current major construction projects?

Is19 really as bad as it's made out to be?

Is one route much more curvy and hilly than the other? Kids get carsick... I plan to give drammine though.

Thanks.

And PS your state is awesome. Its beautiful. If I could ever find a job I would move in a second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 05:47 PM

382 posts, read 867,243 times
Can't give you much advice on the Northern part of your trip but for I-77 in West Virginia here's some you could use.

For your car sick folks the part from outside Charleston to the N.C. line will be the worst. From Charleston to Beckley 77 runs the ravine and is narrow and twisty and is heavily patrolled, it's also a toll road with 3 total toll booth stops until Virginia. Stop for fuel before you get past Charleston, you have to pay to get off in the ravine and there's not many options for fuel except for the one Safety Plaza which charges a fortune for fuel (think NY State Throughway).

After Beckley it's mountains, big ones, with 2 really cool tunnles in Virginia before 77 combines with I-81 North for a short bit, then eventually one big drop down to the North Carolina line.

*Check the weather before you go* If it's raining be ready for some really thick fog, possibly. There have been some really horrible wrecks on I-77 on the last mountain down to the N.C. line.

There is a major work project the last 9 miles of I-77 that I know is affecting Northbound, not sure about Southbound, you may want to look into that.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:45 AM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
Take Route 19. Yes it is a speed trap around Summersville (I think it drops of 35 mph), but it's a significantly easier drive than I-77. If your kids get carsick, I-77 is probably one of the worse interstates in the country to take them on. It's cut through deep, winding valleys between Charleston and Beckley. Not to mention that Route 19 will take you over the New River Gorge Bridge

Old 08-21-2018, 09:47 AM

583 posts, read 592,489 times
Take 19 and be careful in Summersville and Fayetteville for speed traps. Avoid Charleston completely and some seriously winding roads.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the help guys it's very appreciated!

Old 08-23-2018, 05:28 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Thanks for the help guys it's very appreciated!
Make sure to stop at the scenic overlook for New River Gorge Bridge near Fayetteville.

It's easy to get off and on Route 19 and the view is worth your time. The visitors center also has a lot of educational materials on both the bridge and West Virginia.

Not to mention walking out to the overlook is a great, quick way to walk around for a little and stretch.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:20 PM

I ended up taking I79 to US19 to I77 and it went fine. 19 is a nice road. Definitely want through multiple speed traps near summersville and I think Fayetteville so I was fairly close to the speed limit (5 over) and no issues.

Thanks for the feedback everyone it was helpful.

For what it's worth I liked the stretch of i79 from Morgantown, fairmont, Bridgeport etc.. I'm half tempted to see if there are any jobs that would be a fit.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:38 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. That area is nice. Some high tech, govt, higher ed and med jobs.

For future reference for drivers... speed traps are bad and getting worse in smaller off the beaten path towns in WV and with no industry this is sadly becoming the sole source of growing revenue. So if you are an out of state driver be extra cautious.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:34 AM

To add a little bit more definitely be respectful of state driving laws but also be aware that some of the on the way to somewhere else towns that aren’t reaping the rewards of tourism are worth avoiding because they will nickel and dime you for very minor infractions. Your out of state tag flashes to them like bait and you will pay a tourist tax. Especially in places on the way to Snowshoe and surrounding areas. We need and want you to come back and that’s not a shared mentality in some areas.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:16 PM

I remembered I had this old thread.

I just drove through WV again coming back from Florida.
I actually stayed over night in Morgantown and thought it was really nice. Everyone was super friendly and generally happy. You guys have a good thing going on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia