U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2018, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 1,527 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am a single young professional who is looking to relocate back to the mid-atlantic next year to be closer to family & friends, and hopefully to avoid the rat race of a larger city. Ideally, I think the eastern panhandle of WV fits the bill (esp. Martinsburg / Charles Town area).

--

Background:
I grew up in a small town in Frederick County, Maryland and haven't truly been happy since I moved out - my career aspirations had me chasing big tech opportunities only found in the city - a place I cannot stand.

I went through the motions, relocated a few times, and have since established myself in my field. I currently hold a bachelor's degree, multiple industry certs, an active Secret clearance, and I just turned 23.
I have been satisfied with my job and northern Alabama in general, but not settling down 750 miles away from "home" satisfied. It's time to plan to come back and settle down.

--

That being said, where can I plop myself in WV that's small-feeling, laid-back, affordable, and that I can best put my qualifications to use somewhere within a 45 minute commute?

From what I see, Leesburg (Loudon County), VA has the greatest tech opportunity, but it's at the further end of where I'd want to drive every day from the Charles Town area, if I moved there.
Basically, how far out in the boonies can I put myself and still have a viable career? Especially for a cleared jr. network engineer.

Any guidance is appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 10:01 AM

111 posts, read 71,805 times
My husband is in the tech industry and we moved to an area outside of New Cumberland. I know that's the northern panhandle and not the eastern one. However it's a 35 minute commute to Pittsburgh which has a lot of tech jobs these days.

It is affordable here, and the surroundings are beautiful with 3 state parks in the area. Land is not too pricey. I was surprised to find such a nice rural setting so close to such a big city at such a good price. Where I live is also a nice neighborhood and people keep their houses and yards in a good state.

It is in many ways the perfect compromise. If you come to look ignore the towns of Weirton and Steubenville across the river. They are pretty ugly as is Chester and Newell. Go up highway 2 around 4 miles and drive all of the roads going up into the hills.

I like the countryside like you and when my husband landed a job in Pittsburgh I searched wide and far for a place like this. I can't think of another metro that i know of where you have this type of access to nature and a rural setting. It is literally two different worlds with in 30 minutes of each other.

A bonus is that although the commute is around 35 to 45 minutes it is an enjoyable scenic drive that doesn't have too much traffic. The people are really laid back here especially compared to people in Pittsburgh. There are some old school hillbillies still making moonshine back in the hollows. Taxes are low. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

You will want to work on the western side of Pittsburgh should you choose this spot. Moon, Coroapolis, or Robinson. Driving into downtown Pittsburgh itself would be crazy.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:37 PM

519 posts, read 802,724 times
Kearneysville (10 minutes from Charles Town) has 3 gov't places that I'd assume need techies:
- VA (Veteran's Administration)
- Coast Guard
- IRS (Computing Center)

Old 08-30-2018, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 1,527 times
Thanks for the replies all!

Northern panhandle sounds great, but it's a little far for my purposes.
My dad, who lives in Maryland, is pretty well physically disabled after a recent incident and I would need to be close enough that a weekly trip to help out around the house wouldn't be too much of a burden (I'm 11 hours away now, which frightens me).

I knew about the IRS presence in Kearneysville, but had no idea about the others. I will definitely keep that in mind when job hunting. I could care less if I'm making less money, I'd just rather live off the beaten path and mind my own business.

--

I'm leaning heavily towards Jefferson County at this point. Getting lost in a lot of threads on it lol. I also have extended family who lives there to help me make an unbiased decision.

Any further comments on the area are appreciated. I especially love the low cost of living, lax laws/regulations, and convenience of north Alabama, but I'm just too far from family. I'm hoping I can find a similar environment in eastern WV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or