Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 12:21 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
Wheeling is a lot smaller than Chattanooga. It also has suffered a lot more, given its disproportionate dependency on steel etc.

Chattanooga has had some relatively big gets business wise. I hope Wheeling turns around, but I don't see anything to reflect that.
Nothing reflects that on a large scale, but the downtown area is trending upward in Wheeling. It will never be it's former industrial power, but success is possible on a smaller scale. Our country's heavy industry is basically lost to globalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 03:16 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Default an

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
Wheeling is a lot smaller than Chattanooga. It also has suffered a lot more, given its disproportionate dependency on steel etc.

Chattanooga has had some relatively big gets business wise. I hope Wheeling turns around, but I don't see anything to reflect that.
West Virginia, including Wheeling, has no cities the size of Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville, or Memphis but Wheeling certainly is well positioned to take advantage of it's proximity to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Akron, Canton, and Columbus.

The posts talking about proximity to mountains won't apply. The nearest mountains to Wheeling can be found outside of Uniontown and Morgantown with the Allegheny range. Wheeling, like most of the rest of West Virginia, western PA, and eastern Ohio is in the rolling foothills with the Allegheny plateau being located where the Highlands is located.

Wheeling was once second only to Nashville as a hub for country music, and it still has a strong cultural presence there. With some effort, tourism could be developed regarding country music and Victorian heritage, but it will take time to rebuild the amenities downtown to make that work. Gone are most of the first rate restaurants that once could be found there, the nightlife that was better than Pittsburgh's and which drew large crowds of people from there on weekends, as well as the once vibrant river scene that largely disappeared with the middle class.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:37 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
With that being said the 2 for $4 biscuit sandwich deal at Tudor's was scrumptious
Every time I am in Weirton, Tudor's is closed. Their hours are so short, hard to target on the road.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 PM

194 posts, read 182,073 times
The other day I read something that happened in Wheeling Ohio is that across the river

Old 01-13-2020, 06:39 PM

456 posts, read 602,793 times
Has anyone in Wheeling seen how the Menards at the Highlands is coming along. The good thing about it coming it should help bring another exit and more growth. I would think the Highlands would be trying to attract some office buildings and some housing. There is plenty of room for growth and I would think they could attract some energy or technology companies.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:53 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
Has anyone in Wheeling seen how the Menards at the Highlands is coming along. The good thing about it coming it should help bring another exit and more growth. I would think the Highlands would be trying to attract some office buildings and some housing. There is plenty of room for growth and I would think they could attract some energy or technology companies.
Highlands is a debacle nightmare. Total waste of taxpayer dollars and meanwhile downtown Wheeling is constantly neglected yet has the more potential because that's where the country is going. Youth is moving back to the city and shunning sprawl development.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:53 AM

456 posts, read 602,793 times
Wheeling downtown is trying to revitalize which is good. The key to any area Iis to not let one area get into a shape it can't thrive and survive.Bringing jobs back to downtown is great and getting people to live there is even better. The Highlands is still growing and seems to be doing great but it does need some permanent residences and day time office workers. Another exit would probably double development there. Wheeling like most cities made poor decisions years ago and allowed retail and development to leave because of it. New housing and small businesses is what is saving downtown Wheeling and other cities. Retail in small cities will never go back to downtown. Having unique restaurants,bars and businesses will make downtown thrive again. There seems to be many buildings being brought back to life downtown after years of neglect. Both downtown and the Highlands can and do have there place. Just keep both growing.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:35 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
I agree with an earlier post that downtown Wheeling needs more food options if they want to host more events. More lodging options couldn't hurt either. There are some, but not near enough.

I think that downtown Wheeling has a lot of potential, but also a lot of work ahead of it to regain some of the opportunities that have been lost. Then again, you can say that about downtown Huntington, Charleston, and Parkersburg.

I know it takes money but simply repairing and paving many of the downtown streets in Wheeling would help. Perception goes a long way and when you're visiting, the broken roads and such make and leave a bad impression.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:42 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post

I know it takes money but simply repairing and paving many of the downtown streets in Wheeling would help. Perception goes a long way and when you're visiting, the broken roads and such make and leave a bad impression.
Very true! The condition of Main Street is just deplorable. And it's been that way for years. Head scratching why it cannot be repaved. Not patched. Repaved.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:38 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Do you remember Neil Sedaka's 1970 song about Wheeling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia