U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 11:01 AM

4,423 posts, read 5,097,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magixraid View Post
I have lived here my whole life and it actually made me so depressed that resently i turned emo but not the point. Part of it being so depressing is the buildings the drugs and all the horriable depressing things that they have laid on the poor teachers to worry about so heavly
In the interest of helping, allow me to give you some very hard truth; nowhere isn't depressing. Humans have created a society and social contract that flies in the face of our basic instincts, and especially in the first world (impoverished or not), depression is rampant no matter where you call home. For a myriad of reasons.

Wherever you are, you have to find the good in it. It's on your shoulders to seek it out as best as you can.

That said, chemical depression is a very real problem on a very real rise (I believe the ingredients in our food is one major contributor). The US does not take it (or any mental illness) seriously enough, and I have to imagine that on a state level WV is probably one of the tougher states to find help in, but search it out regardless. If you are legitimately depressed on a physical level you will NEED help. It is not a problem well dealt with in solitude.

I speak from experience as a severe Manic-Depressive. Even in "forward-thinking" NY state I have trouble getting it taken seriously.

That aside, I'm not sure what your personal life situation is like (I also understand being too poor to enjoy anything easily), but I agree that you should try to get outdoors some more. If you haven't already considered or tried it. Being inside on the internet a lot can really drag a body down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
West Virginia can be very dangerous, depending on where you go.
Anywhere can. Literally anywhere.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:48 PM

12,708 posts, read 17,311,159 times
I currently have homes in west Texas and in central New Mexico but if I were to, in the very unlikely circumstance due to my age, find myself moving east of the Mississippi River again, it would be to West Virginia. The State definitely has most of the natural beauty in the eastern quadrant. Do the fireflies still light up the night back in the "hollows" around Charleston?

Probably too many people per square foot for me though anymore, so don't look for me too soon.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I currently have homes in west Texas and in central New Mexico but if I were to, in the very unlikely circumstance due to my age, find myself moving east of the Mississippi River again, it would be to West Virginia. The State definitely has most of the natural beauty in the eastern quadrant. Do the fireflies still light up the night back in the "hollows" around Charleston?

Probably too many people per square foot for me though anymore, so don't look for me too soon.
If you move to any state in the green-east and there aren't fireflies, something has gone terribly wrong. haha

Old 04-20-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
If you move to any state in the green-east and there aren't fireflies, something has gone terribly wrong. haha
Really? I had not heard this. I was camping near Charleston in about 1989/90 I think.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:38 PM

11,997 posts, read 21,291,409 times
Quote:
But they are lightening bugs

Old 04-20-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
But they are lightening bugs
Fireflies, Lightning bugs, blinky-butts, all the same. haha

Quote:
Really? I had not heard this. I was camping near Charleston in about 1989/90 I think.
Oh yeah, they are quite common in the entire east. From the Gulf coast on up to Canada. I grew up catching them in jars here in upstate NY.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, they are quite common in the entire east. From the Gulf coast on up to Canada. I grew up catching them in jars here in upstate NY.
I did the same in the Pineywoods of deep east Texas as a child but I had never seen them so thick as those near Charleston.

BTW, what you guys call hollows back east, we call canyons out here. The second largest canyon in the U.S. is not far from this farm but it's a straight and very flat drive to it.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:42 PM

12,269 posts, read 11,614,498 times
Quote:

The lightning bugs still light up the night in the "hollers" around Charleston. The population of Charleston has dropped from a high in the low 80 thousands to around 50,000.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I did the same in the Pineywoods of deep east Texas as a child but I had never seen them so thick as those near Charleston.

BTW, what you guys call hollows back east, we call canyons out here. The second largest canyon in the U.S. is not far from this farm but it's a straight and very flat drive to it.
They are gorgeous aren't they? They actually are just as thick up here out of towns, but we have a very similar climate to most of WV in the twin tiers, so it stands to reason.

We call them hollows up north, but down south they tend to call them hollers. Kind of like the pronunciation difference between Appalatchuh and Appalaysha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia