Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,941 times

Advertisements

Here is an open thread to discuss growth, development and issues in the Eastern Panhandle. This starts from a conversation started on a Huntington -related thread.

Mods: Please feel free to merge any existing threads that are similar to this. I went through several pages and could not find an existing one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 09:58 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
D.C. metro is a monsterously large region. It will likely keep growing, and a lot of that growth will be in WV as density restrictions in Loudon and parts of Frederick and Montgomery Counties keep pushing people west. Shopping will grow with residential, but lag behind until certain density is reached. You will also see retail growth as EP becomes a more attractive market for rural populations to their west, although infrastructural weakness will limit this (still easier for many people to go N/S than E into Berkeley County.)

Jobs will come too, as companies who want to be in the metro area, but want cheaper prices, locate on the fringe.

Of course, nearly all of this is already happening, but I expect it to continue. Just stop at Hedgesville, and leave my Berkeley Springs alone.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:25 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
All this area is, is the Bedrooms for all who work in DC area! We LOST FARMS We Lost Caring folks that help one another. All we Gained is a bunch of Snobs. Brats that run wild .... No Adult supervision!

Old 03-15-2019, 12:59 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
You need to adjust to the inevitable and embrace change. Smart investors will find a way to capitalize on it.
That area will mostly be West Virginia's future population.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:01 AM

204 posts, read 418,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
All this area is, is the Bedrooms for all who work in DC area! We LOST FARMS We Lost Caring folks that help one another. All we Gained is a bunch of Snobs. Brats that run wild .... No Adult supervision!
And thats the gospel truth!!!

Old 03-16-2019, 01:22 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
Quote:
West Virginia is not doing well right now. You need all the snobs you can get to fill your state's tax coffers.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:30 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
West Virginia is not doing well right now. You need all the snobs you can get to fill your state's tax coffers.
The EP doesn't need it, but the state does. That's for sure. If not for those areas that are doing well, the rest of the state wouldn't have the endless bailouts that seem to keep it going.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
D.C. metro is a monsterously large region. It will likely keep growing, and a lot of that growth will be in WV as density restrictions in Loudon and parts of Frederick and Montgomery Counties keep pushing people west. Shopping will grow with residential, but lag behind until certain density is reached. You will also see retail growth as EP becomes a more attractive market for rural populations to their west, although infrastructural weakness will limit this (still easier for many people to go N/S than E into Berkeley County.)

Jobs will come too, as companies who want to be in the metro area, but want cheaper prices, locate on the fringe.

Of course, nearly all of this is already happening, but I expect it to continue. Just stop at Hedgesville, and leave my Berkeley Springs alone.
I've always had a special appreciation for Berkeley Springs and Morgan County.

To me, Hedgesville has always been the dividing line between DC metro/bedroom community/whatever you want to call it and "real WV".

I can always count on Berkeley Springs when I need a quick getaway

Old 03-18-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
I've actually found most of the "transplants" to be more friendly, humble and open-minded than most of the natives.

I can say that, as I am a native. All of my neighbors are commuters and are some of the best people you could have as neighbors.

Again, some in both cases...not all. I would never make a broad generalization.

In my opinion, to move this state forward we need as many new people as we can get. I just wish we could distribute the growth in cities statewide.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I've always had a special appreciation for Berkeley Springs and Morgan County.

To me, Hedgesville has always been the dividing line between DC metro/bedroom community/whatever you want to call it and "real WV".

I can always count on Berkeley Springs when I need a quick getaway
I would agree, and say this rough border existed before the exurban communities started to explode in Berkeley and Jefferson Counties. Nice places, but they always seemed more like the Shenandoah Valley of VA, than the parts of WV I am familiar with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia