U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 08:30 PM

519 posts, read 802,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Wheeling Jesuit losing their Jesuit affiliation
Good. A university should be peddling facts & science anyway, not religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 06:21 PM

5,258 posts, read 8,459,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Good. A university should be peddling facts & science anyway, not religion.
Catholic schools from Kindergarten through Ph.D offer a full science and math education. The Vatican has a science academy that includes some of the world's premier thinkers.

Don't confuse us, or our institutions, with those Christian denominations that find faith and science incompatible.

Last edited by westsideboy; 04-14-2019 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 11:13 PM

10,094 posts, read 12,748,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Catholic schools from Kindergarten through Ph.D offer a full science and math education. The Vatican has a science academy that includes some of the world's premier thinkers.

Don't confuse us, or our institutions, with those Christian denominations that find faith and science incompatible.
I agree. While Christians in general place a high value on education, no group has done more for higher education overall than Catholics, and even more than the public schools these days, they promote debate and dialog without the left wing propaganda being shoved down people's throats at ever turn. They also promote community involvement and patriotism, and are not prone to the whims of social reactionaries. Catholic schools are open to ideas from non Catholics too. I have every respect for Catholic education. It is a shame what is happening at Wheeling Jesuit.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:02 PM

519 posts, read 802,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
they promote debate and dialog without the left wing propaganda being shoved down people's throats at ever turn
LOL. What they promote is shoving the right wing propaganda down people's throats at every turn.

Anyway...
I'm not going to debate further on this, I'm sure there's a religion forum somewhere on this site for that.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:21 PM

5,258 posts, read 8,459,081 times
Quote:
LOL. What they promote is shoving the right wing propaganda down people's throats at every turn.

Anyway...
I'm not going to debate further on this, I'm sure there's a religion forum somewhere on this site for that.
No, you started it by taking a pot shot, I have every right to call out your misinformation.

I went to Catholic school K-12. My kids go to Catholic school. I am a 4th generation graduate of Catholic education. My family are all college educated, some have gone into the sciences specifically. Many are Democrats and liberals. My CATHOLIC school participates in science and math events with public and other private schools. We win many of them too. We are a college prep school with a nearly 100% college attendance rate for graduating seniors.

Stop peddling cheap stereotypes and ignorance.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:21 PM

1,528 posts, read 3,613,600 times
I agree with the above posters - A Catholic education does not imply having right wing propaganda shoved down your throat. I admit there are some extremist churches but from my Catholic upbringing (and I admit- I don't go to Mass on a weekly or even sometimes monthly basis) - I found the church to be welcoming of different views and opinions on various life topics. There is always going to be a lot of open dialogue on many of the issues people solely accuse the church of being 'behind the times' on- the same 'tolerant' people who accuse the church of being repressive by not agreeing with their beliefs would never hesitate to bash religion solely because it doesn't align with their views. Perhaps it was my local parish in Charleston or the one I periodically attend here in Arlington, Va but I never saw then nor do I see now people peddling right wing propaganda. Not that it really matters but I am also a proud Democrat.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 04-15-2019 at 06:30 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 07:22 AM

12,259 posts, read 11,602,038 times
Some say nothing is certain but death and taxes. However, I'm quite certain that this is neither the Politics forum or the Religion forum.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 AM

10,094 posts, read 12,748,890 times
Quote:

Anyway...
Although personally I did not attend Catholic schools (well, I did take a couple graduate courses from Marist College), I have found that to not be the case at all. I have several families involved in one way or another with Catholic education and have found their approach to be very open minded and aside from abortion issues, they don't take political positions. They are as rigorous in science and math as any other system, and they typically have better control over student behavior. Catholic education is absolutely a viable alternative for students from any religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or