Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 10:26 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times

Advertisements

The Board of Wheeling Jesuit has declared a financial exigency as the school is in financial trouble. In this age of fewer higher school graduates, the smaller schools face great trouble remaining viable. A modest financial bailout of sorts was provided the state supported small schools in the most recent state budget, but some of those institutions will not be viable long term. The landscape is changing, and it is likely that within a few years many of the smaller colleges, both public and private, will not exist in their current format.

Wheeling Jesuit University facing a financial exigency | WTOV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 12:15 PM

527 posts, read 319,697 times
Is Franciscan in a similar situation? I hate would hate to see them go and Franciscan go on...

I assume if Franciscan is more viable it's because of its "evangelical" bent and network.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
Is Franciscan in a similar situation? I hate would hate to see them go and Franciscan go on...

I assume if Franciscan is more viable it's because of its "evangelical" bent and network.
I think you are correct. The Jesuits have always been mostly educators, and that tradition is the gist of their operations. The Franciscans are servants of the poor, and their colleges have a very different orientation. Franciscans take a vow of poverty.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:14 AM

632 posts, read 831,370 times
Obviously the private schools are on their own but I'm in full support of the state closing down some of the public universities.

For reference, WV has 13 public universities (not including CCs). The closest state to us in population is Nebraska. They have 6. Top of the list would likely be Glenville State and Bluefield State

Old 03-19-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Obviously the private schools are on their own but I'm in full support of the state closing down some of the public universities.

For reference, WV has 13 public universities (not including CCs). The closest state to us in population is Nebraska. They have 6. Top of the list would likely be Glenville State and Bluefield State
Yep. That is true. In fact Iowa, which has nearly twice the population and half again the geographic footprint as West Virginia, supports just 3 institutions in their entire state. Our system was designed back when it took almost 6 hours to drive from Charleston to Morgantown. Those days are long gone, but the antiquated, obsolete system remains intact. We have at least half a dozen too many teachers colleges.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:47 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Whoa now. My post was deleted as "flaming" but it was not. Give me a couple days off if you like for mentioning this on the board if you wish but I will explain.

My daughter is going to go to Glenville next year. She's been going to their music programs for a couple years now. She wants to major in music education. When she was in 10th grade the guy over the music department (sorry, I forget his name) was in this part of the state (she attends Williamstown high School). He knew she was interested in Glenville and on a Friday night he drove to Elizabeth to go to the game to see my daughter in the band. That's not something you get at WVU.

Dr Bones (the band director) saw my daughter at a Glenville football game (she went with two friends that were considering Glenville) and invited them to come sit with the band (both her friends were also in the band) Again, not something you get at WVU.

She got to know Dr Darby at the Pioneer stage and Dr Darby found out she plays bass. She went and got her a stand up bass (Pioneer stage is a Bluegrass venue mostly) and said "here, try this". It was pretty cool. Everyone at the college has went out of their way to make her feel like they really want her there. Dr Bones told her that if she came there and didn't show up for class that he would call us. LOL. Again, an attitude you won't see at WVU.

So my post was NOT a flame. It was sincerely how I feel.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:30 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Whoa now. My post was deleted as "flaming" but it was not. Give me a couple days off if you like for mentioning this on the board if you wish but I will explain.

My daughter is going to go to Glenville next year. She's been going to their music programs for a couple years now. She wants to major in music education. When she was in 10th grade the guy over the music department (sorry, I forget his name) was in this part of the state (she attends Williamstown high School). He knew she was interested in Glenville and on a Friday night he drove to Elizabeth to go to the game to see my daughter in the band. That's not something you get at WVU.

Dr Bones (the band director) saw my daughter at a Glenville football game (she went with two friends that were considering Glenville) and invited them to come sit with the band (both her friends were also in the band) Again, not something you get at WVU.

She got to know Dr Darby at the Pioneer stage and Dr Darby found out she plays bass. She went and got her a stand up bass (Pioneer stage is a Bluegrass venue mostly) and said "here, try this". It was pretty cool. Everyone at the college has went out of their way to make her feel like they really want her there. Dr Bones told her that if she came there and didn't show up for class that he would call us. LOL. Again, an attitude you won't see at WVU.

So my post was NOT a flame. It was sincerely how I feel.
So you want WVU to be closed down over that lol ok then

Old 03-20-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
So you want WVU to be closed down over that lol ok then
No, I don't want to see any of them close down. I simply said it was what I would prefer.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:37 PM

53 posts, read 52,805 times
Glenville State is in Gilmer County, which was in the news recently as having lost its last grocery store:

https://www.wdtv.com/content/news/Gi...418015383.html

https://www.wdtv.com/content/news/Fr...425791794.html

I had an academic friend interview with Glenville. For less than $40k, they expected them to participate in many extracurriculars on campus.

The closest Wal-Mart is around an hour away from Glenville. Only the most desperate of faculty will willingly commute more than an hour each way on poor secondary roads to go to work daily (living in a place like Clarksburg) or instead live in Glenville and take two hours round-trip to buy some trinkets from Wal-Mart.

Obviously, this school's days are numbered, but money is being wasted to keep it afloat.

The biggest failure of WV has been the duplication of things like colleges all around the state.

I saw Nebraska mentioned above. Omaha itself has a population of 450k (around 1/4 of the state's total population). The metro population of Omaha is nearing 1mil (and while I know that includes some parts of Iowa, that still means the metro of Omaha is approaching 50% of the total population of Nebraska).

Until WV focuses on a few select cities to grow like every other state has done, it will remain a failure. The minute any area shows progress in WV, it is hindered by Charleston and funds/effort are reallocated to dying or dead parts of the state.

If we had just focused on growing cities at WV's borders and near interstates, we would not be having all of these problems.

Last edited by maxwell7845; 03-20-2019 at 09:03 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 05:49 AM

Not being a big city is not a problem for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia