U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 12:41 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,915,390 times

Advertisements

EXCELLENT news for the Bluefield area and all of southern WV!

WV MetroNews Intuit to open 'prosperity hub' in Bluefield; up to 500 new jobs possible - WV MetroNews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 02:32 PM

5,195 posts, read 7,129,395 times
Wow! Who would have thought that.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:30 PM

1,683 posts, read 1,546,707 times
Will this office be more of a call center than high level IT operations?

I'm glad to see a native West Virginian doing things to help the state, in terms of providing job opportunities, but I do find the choice of Bluefield interesting. It's not the best place to use in terms of recruiting top level talent.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 PM

519 posts, read 802,437 times
Are we all supposed to know what the heck a "prosperity hub" is?
I Googled it and still don't understand. I guess this is just the buzzword of the day?

Old 03-31-2019, 10:27 PM

10,097 posts, read 12,750,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
I Googled it and still don't understand. I guess this is just the buzzword of the day?
I don't know, but it would seem sometimes their operations are not real stable.

Intuit closing Douglas County call center, cuts 59 jobs | Tech+

Old 04-01-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
From the article in the OP:

"According to Smith, the prosperity hub will include a customer success center for the Intuit product QuickBooks and an innovation lab to help small businesses."

Based on my knowledge of Intuit, this is about as good as you can explain it. "Prosperity hub" is certainly a buzzword, though.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:34 AM

More:

WV MetroNews Why Intuit chose Bluefield for its next prosperity hub - WV MetroNews

Old 04-01-2019, 12:53 PM

891 posts, read 1,327,274 times
In light of a discussion on another thread about "too many" colleges so close together, I found this part of the article very interesting:

“Bluefield was chosen based on the talent and skills in the region, access to students graduating from multiple institutions, the progressive leadership of the local community leaders. The combination of expertise here and our technology can create the next chapter for the region,” Smith said.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
In light of a discussion on another thread about "too many" colleges so close together, I found this part of the article very interesting:

“Bluefield was chosen based on the talent and skills in the region, access to students graduating from multiple institutions, the progressive leadership of the local community leaders. The combination of expertise here and our technology can create the next chapter for the region,” Smith said.
I think it brings up an interesting point. Discussions about "too many colleges close together" directly can be correlated to a lack of jobs in an area. Sure, if there's three colleges within 20 miles of each other (as an example) but little to no jobs, one could say there are too many colleges and be correct.

However, for a company like Intuit looking for a couple hundred young graduates, this is a big plus. The mosquito found the vein, as I say.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:05 PM

731 posts, read 836,029 times
This is a call center with a couple of offices tacked on to it that local "startups" can rent out with maybe some access to a business coach shared among the other locations via tele-networking. Its mostly for show, so everyone feels better about giving economic incentives for a call center.

Looking at Indeed, it looks like their customer support employees make between $11-$28/hour. I'd wager part of the reason they located in Bluefield and Wise is to save on payroll, so the majority of hires will likely be on the lower end of that scale. But given the issue of job growth down there and the cheap cost of living, this might break even if the total wages average out at $15-$16/hour. I doubt more than a handful of these positions (mostly managers) will actually require a college degree.

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Intuit/sa...egory=customer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or