U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 704 times

Advertisements

We are moving from suburban Cincinnati, where we lived for 10 years. We like the balance of shorter commute times and entertainment options here - museums, malls, parks, outdoor festivals.

Planning to move for husband’s job in Martinsburg WV. We have kids 1.5 and 5 yrs. So looking for a resasonable commute to work and good schools and daycare for kids. Entertainment and things to do for kids is high priority, we like being close to shops, restaurants and hustle bustle. Given a choice I would like to live in Ashburn or Leesburg VA. But it’s too much of a drive for husband everyday - 1 hour+. Is Purcellville/Round Hill a good option? We are also considering Hagerstown MD and Winchester VA, but the schools and daycares don’t seem that great. Any other areas we can add to the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 01:52 PM

5,258 posts, read 8,461,487 times
How about Martinsburg, since your husband works there? You would have options to live in an urban core, in suburbs, or in exurbs in Berkeley County.

The commute in the D.C. area is a killer. It seems you already know this to some extent, but honestly the best place to live will be the one that meets your needs and is the closest to the job. Martinsburg keeps you centrally located to activities in WV, VA, and MD. You will have no shortage of things to do.

I can't really answer about schools though......so someone else will have to chime in there.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:39 PM

1,528 posts, read 3,614,253 times
Purcellville to Martinsburg would be going against the traffic (it's all heading into Northern Virginia), taking either Route 690 to Route 9 or Route 7 to 340 to 9. You are 30- 40 miles away depending on route and will have to deal with two lane road at times, in particular Route 9 heading over the mountain from Virginia into West Virginia. Honestly Leesburg is only about 5-10 miles farther from Martinsburg so if you're going to choose between there or Purcellville/ Round Hill, I would do Leesburg. Cool downtown area with good bars and restaurants, nice mix of established residential neighborhoods and new construction, outlet mall, tons of shopping and closer to places like Ashburn, Reston, Tysons, etc. Both Purcellville and Leesburg are fast growing communities as development in the DC area continues to move west- Leesburg, at about 55k residents is much larger than Purcellville which is currently around 10k. Winchester is closer to Martinsburg but also considerably farther away from the immediate DC metro area than Leesburg. Ashburn is nice but much more cookie cutter and it will add additional time to the commute.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:52 PM

70 posts, read 62,506 times
I can't speak for Purcellville or Round Hill, but I would choose Winchester over Martinsburg in a heartbeat.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:19 AM

12,262 posts, read 11,607,774 times
Have you considered communities just down the road from Martinsburg? Shepherdstown, Charles Town, Harper's Ferry, Falling Waters, and a few others I'm not thinking of right now.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:08 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,915,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Have you considered communities just down the road from Martinsburg? Shepherdstown, Charles Town, Harper's Ferry, Falling Waters, and a few others I'm not thinking of right now.
You read my mind mensaguy. I was going to recommend Charles Town.

Easy to get to Nova (Northern Virginia)/DC activities, but in a more peaceful setting. Also, depending on where you live there are some newer communities that provide gorgeous views of the mountain (Huntfield, Norborne Glebe come to mind). It's about 15-20 minutes from Martinsburg down the farily-new Route 9 (four lane highway, little traffic).

As westsideboy said, living in the Eastern Panhandle keeps you centrally located to activities.

This past weekend, I was in DC Saturday to see the cherry blossoms and have dinner at the Wharf. Sunday morning I went for a beautiful, serene hike at Cacapon State Park (near Berkeley Springs, WV).

I love being within an hour or hour and 1/2 to literally anything you could ever want (okay...besides a tropical beach but you can be at the Baltimore Carnival/Royal Caribbean cruise terminal in an hour and a half ).

I moved back here after working elsewhere for a couple of years because of this level convenience, plus the excitement of being in such a rapidly growing region.

As for schools, I would recommend Jefferson County over Berkeley. Both school systems are growing exponentially, but Berkeley seems to be feeling more of the growing pains since their school facilities tend to be older.

I can't speak for Nova schools as I have not had any experience with them.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:29 AM

1,528 posts, read 3,614,253 times
If staying in the Panhandle, I would agree with others assessment of the newer communities in and around Charles Town such as Huntfield. Shepherdstown is a cool town but I don't believe there are many new construction options there- at least it didn't seem like it when we were there in the Fall but there could've been some tucked off the main roads. You're a solid 30-40 minutes farther from DC than Leesburg but I am not sure if that is a priority for you- as mmcul stated it's still an option on weekends. Housing prices are lower in the Panhandle- what you can pay for a townhouse or older small single family home in most of eastern Loudoun, you can get a larger new construction home in Charles Town.

Regarding Virginia schools- Loudoun schools are great albeit they do have some overcrowding issues, in particular the communities east of Route 15 (Leesburg, Ashburn, Dulles, South Riding, etc). It's likely a similar story in the Eastern Panhandle though I just am not as familiar. Virginia definitely has more college options at the state level, but your kids are a long way from there.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:19 AM

367 posts, read 328,661 times
Ranson has a new development called Presidential Pointe that will have 1100 housing units. The shopping and conveniences will grow fast in Jefferson County once these new housing projects get going ALONG ROUTE 9. A new Marshalls is already planned.I prefer Shepherdstown and although their isn't a lot of new housing in that area of the county there is plenty of land near Shepherdstown to build your own home.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:26 AM

519 posts, read 802,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
The shopping and conveniences will grow fast in Jefferson County...
I've been hearing that for all 15 years that I've lived here.

OP said "we like being close to shops, restaurants, and hustle bustle" -- Jefferson County doesn't sound like the place for them then, unless by "close" they mean within an hour.
They did mention "things to do for kids", and I do feel like there's lots of that around here, for whatever that's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or