U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 11:36 AM

84 posts, read 150,775 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Back in '71 my grandfather purchased a 125 acre hobby farm in Cabins, WV which was sold in 1986. I live in Baltimore and work in DC but in the last decade have felt a desire to return to the eastern panhandle of WV, at least on weekends. The world of course has changed in the last 30 years and I find that it isn't the same kind of rural that it used to be, and it is possible that I'm looking for a West Virginia that no longer exists, but I'm still trying.

I'm really just looking for land at this point, and being that I'm in a high density environment during the week, on my WV land I'd ideally like to be far away from the nearest person. I'm actually not too picky about utilities as I'd be buying a Class C with a generator and I'd be looking to do some off-grid with solar/rain barrel collection.

I've found that there are a lot of questions to ask, for example, about access and easements, road noise, sloping (big item in WV), cleared vs. wooded, and the biggie "unrestricted."

I wouldn't need a lot land if the privacy were there, for example, 5 acres abutting farms of 50+ acres with their house way off on the other side of their lot, but I've been looking for a year and haven't found anything that checks all the boxes.

Tucker county has the 2nd lowest population density in the state, but I'm trying to keep the drive back to DC under 3 hours for when I go early Monday morning back to the office. They also don't have a lot of inventory.

I feel like Morgantown/Charles Town/Berkeley are now just part of the DC/Frederick/Hagerstown extended 'burbs. Conversely I checked out Bloomery in Hampshire county, and felt like I needed a government ATV tank and a machete to delve into the jungle that was the mountain I was driving up the side of. Totally wouldn't work for an RV. Also the neighbors had a bunch of dingy looking single wides with piles of trash in front of them. Kinda not the vibe I was going for.

I've noticed that even very rural areas spread far apart still have a loose concept of "neighborhoods" and there are still good areas and bad areas.

Clearly I'm looking for a good area, something more pastoral and farmlike than densely wooded mountain-hunting like. It seems like for the good quality land, a lot of the panhandle is continuing to be scooped up by developers. While I can understand why they have their covenants, I don't want to be associated with an HOA nor do I wish to have another annual bill, nor do I want to live in what will become the 'burbs.

I basically just want unrestricted empty land that is mostly flat/usable, with easy, legal access, not in a flood zone, that leans pastoral and isn't totally wooded, and is unrestricted.

Is this even possible in eastern WV anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 05:25 PM

5,257 posts, read 8,454,389 times
I would check out Frederick County, VA, as far west and north as you can go in that county. That is the western edge of the Great Valley and still has rural open spaces......for now.

Of course, Allegany County MD almost meets your requirements. Land would be cheap, there is a lot of it. We have interstate connections that would get you back to D.C. in 2 to 2.5 hours. The only thing it lacks is that open farm look, we are a mountain/forest county. Still, it may be worth it for you look around Little Orleans if you are striking out elsewhere.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:39 AM

1,528 posts, read 3,612,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondeye View Post
Hi all,

Back in '71 my grandfather purchased a 125 acre hobby farm in Cabins, WV which was sold in 1986. I live in Baltimore and work in DC but in the last decade have felt a desire to return to the eastern panhandle of WV, at least on weekends. The world of course has changed in the last 30 years and I find that it isn't the same kind of rural that it used to be, and it is possible that I'm looking for a West Virginia that no longer exists, but I'm still trying.

I'm really just looking for land at this point, and being that I'm in a high density environment during the week, on my WV land I'd ideally like to be far away from the nearest person. I'm actually not too picky about utilities as I'd be buying a Class C with a generator and I'd be looking to do some off-grid with solar/rain barrel collection.

I've found that there are a lot of questions to ask, for example, about access and easements, road noise, sloping (big item in WV), cleared vs. wooded, and the biggie "unrestricted."

I wouldn't need a lot land if the privacy were there, for example, 5 acres abutting farms of 50+ acres with their house way off on the other side of their lot, but I've been looking for a year and haven't found anything that checks all the boxes.

Tucker county has the 2nd lowest population density in the state, but I'm trying to keep the drive back to DC under 3 hours for when I go early Monday morning back to the office. They also don't have a lot of inventory.

I feel like Morgantown/Charles Town/Berkeley are now just part of the DC/Frederick/Hagerstown extended 'burbs. Conversely I checked out Bloomery in Hampshire county, and felt like I needed a government ATV tank and a machete to delve into the jungle that was the mountain I was driving up the side of. Totally wouldn't work for an RV. Also the neighbors had a bunch of dingy looking single wides with piles of trash in front of them. Kinda not the vibe I was going for.

I've noticed that even very rural areas spread far apart still have a loose concept of "neighborhoods" and there are still good areas and bad areas.

Clearly I'm looking for a good area, something more pastoral and farmlike than densely wooded mountain-hunting like. It seems like for the good quality land, a lot of the panhandle is continuing to be scooped up by developers. While I can understand why they have their covenants, I don't want to be associated with an HOA nor do I wish to have another annual bill, nor do I want to live in what will become the 'burbs.

I basically just want unrestricted empty land that is mostly flat/usable, with easy, legal access, not in a flood zone, that leans pastoral and isn't totally wooded, and is unrestricted.

Is this even possible in eastern WV anymore?
Morgantown isn't an extension of the DC area but is still a healthy growing area - it just doesnt have what youre looking for with flat usable land under 3 hours. Based on your desire to keep under 3 hours I would look in Wardensville (Hardy County right near border with WV- its about 90 miles from the Beltway), Shenandoah County Virginia which is off 81 below the intersection with I-66 or the stretch of western Maryland between Hancock and Cumberland. It's not completely flat out that way but you still have some rolling ridges that could be nice.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:31 PM

498 posts, read 455,950 times
If you stay out of Berkeley and Jefferson Counties, most of the Eastern Panhandle is extremely rural. Check Pendleton County or Hardy County. Both should keep you around 3 hours (Hardy is an hour or so closer, Pendleton may be pushing that limit) and are extremely rural. Pendleton is probably my favorite part of the state as well

Old 05-04-2019, 05:18 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,847,491 times
I would check out Fulton County, PA (north of western Washington County, MD). It's a nice blend of forest and pastoral land. Access to D.C. wouldn't be a challenge, and there are a few modern amenities in the (small) county seat of McConnellsburg.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:37 PM

204 posts, read 366,318 times
Check out Elk Horn Subdivision, in Agusta WV. Hampshire county.Lots of land for sale.Electric in most parts,water is well only.You can go way...way back in the mountains.Last count was 21 mailboxes.You can be miles away from anyone.When it gets dark there,it gets dark,no light pollution. Good deer hunting.Most places there are hunting cabins.Our property borders WV. public hunting,entrance to public land is way on the other side of the mountain.Short Mountain,WV"s best kept secret.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:47 PM

12,769 posts, read 32,849,985 times
https://www.bing.com/search?q=land+f...a0b26f69506944

Old 05-06-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Andrea Evans

38 1/2 acers of land on Tucker ridge rd in Mineral co.

$85,000

Maysville, WV

This land is not steep or rocky, mostly open woods with a good spring and a sm pond. 304-749-7627.
Sounds nice, I don't see it in Zillow. My thing is I have an RV and can only do "unrestricted" land. Feels kind of like trying to find a rental that will take pets.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:11 AM

2,279 posts, read 833,285 times
In addition to the list of things to check that the OP mentioned, be sure to check on mineral rights. Nothing worse than buying some nice property and then having a strip mining company come waltzing through.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Morgantown isn't an extension of the DC area but is still a healthy growing area - it just doesnt have what youre looking for with flat usable land under 3 hours. Based on your desire to keep under 3 hours I would look in Wardensville (Hardy County right near border with WV- its about 90 miles from the Beltway), Shenandoah County Virginia which is off 81 below the intersection with I-66 or the stretch of western Maryland between Hancock and Cumberland. It's not completely flat out that way but you still have some rolling ridges that could be nice.
Good tip on Wardensville they seem to have a lot of options and pleasantly empty despite its proximity to DC. I misspoke when I said Morgantown, I meant Martinsburg (getting old here ; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or