Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 08:29 PM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

This might not seem like big news to a lot of you, but this is huge news for Clendenin and Clay who desperately need something positive going there way. Eventually the trail could extend in both directions to Glenville and Charleston. It will be one of the better rail trails in the state, that I can guarantee!

WV MetroNews Rail trail planned for Clay, Kanawha counties - WV MetroNews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 12:38 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
Could be a nice attraction due to it's location. Folks travelling north/south could hop right off/on I-79 for some biking and hiking.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:59 AM

778 posts, read 794,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
This might not seem like big news to a lot of you, but this is huge news for Clendenin and Clay who desperately need something positive going there way. Eventually the trail could extend in both directions to Glenville and Charleston. It will be one of the better rail trails in the state, that I can guarantee!

WV MetroNews Rail trail planned for Clay, Kanawha counties - WV MetroNews

These things are wonderful in an area with a growing population, especially if that demographic is mostly young professional families. Sadly, there is none of that in this projected area. I had friends that lived in this area, Corton specifically and trust me, those people will not take kindly to strangers walking within eye-sight of their house or property. Many parts of West Virginia are V E R Y backwoods.

I recently drove to Williamson for some business and stopped in Logan on my way back. As I was at the fuel center, two young boys roughly 10 or 11 climbed the bank behind the station near the pumps I was using. One was stereotypically looking, the other was anything but, being a chubby black child. I thought that was interesting, perhaps it is the amateur anthropologist in me.

In any case, I stood there staring at them as they walked the 50 to my location and it was the young black child that spoke, "Yer int frum round here, er ya?"

He was serious, so serious in fact that he and his partner looked like they were going to rumble with me right there at the gas station. I did not know whether to be surprised or concerned. They were far too small to be a threat to a man like man, but the whole thing was not something I ever expected to experience. I grew up on Elk River and would never have thought to approach an adult or talk to one without being spoken to first, much less verbal threaten one.

Unfortunately, I think there is a lot of that in West Virginia, maybe it is a coal field only thing because I have not seen in it in the north. Truthfully I have not seen to this extent before, but I have seem shades of it.

A walking trail like this is perhaps a dubious idea. I know we all want thins to improve in West Virginia, but we need to be mindful of who we are and what West Virginians are and what works best for all of us. Things that are done in other places are not going to work here and I do not think this trail is a good idea in the area targeted. Along the New River Gorge - check. Any where near Morgantown, downtown Wheeling, Eastern Panhandle, even along the Kanawha Valley like at Kanawha Falls - check.

But between Clendenin and Clay? No. Just to make a point, that stupid TV show Mountain Monsters is staffed by a bunch yahoos that live between Clendenin and Clay. Think about that for a second. Would you want to be from North Carolina or PA or New York and come across a group of guys like that? Wrong Turn and the Hills have Eyes would be running through your mind as the tune from Deliverance played in your ears.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
I like this idea and project. Yes, perhaps there are better locations in terms of scenery but outdoor activity and tourism is a good thing for WV.

I travel around the southwestern part of the state for work so I'm in Lincoln, Logan and Mingo counties quite a bit. Yes, I've had people ask me the "You aren't from around here are you?" question, in many forms, but not once has someone asked it in anything close to a sinister or threatening tone of voice. In fact, I've had some nice conversations from these interactions and met some nice people. In fact, I've encountered more rudeness and hostility from folks in the northern part of the state. Perhaps it was because you were staring at these kids that prompted them to approach you?

Old 05-09-2019, 03:19 PM

778 posts, read 794,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I like this idea and project. Yes, perhaps there are better locations in terms of scenery but outdoor activity and tourism is a good thing for WV.

I travel around the southwestern part of the state for work so I'm in Lincoln, Logan and Mingo counties quite a bit. Yes, I've had people ask me the "You aren't from around here are you?" question, in many forms, but not once has someone asked it in anything close to a sinister or threatening tone of voice. In fact, I've had some nice conversations from these interactions and met some nice people. In fact, I've encountered more rudeness and hostility from folks in the northern part of the state. Perhaps it was because you were staring at these kids that prompted them to approach you?

You are correct in many aspects of this. West Virginia is missing a major industry by not focusing on outdoor tourism. I have met so many people from other states and am almost immediately asked why there is a dearth of such attractions and activities. They seem to be truly surprised as though we dumb hillbillies have no idea what we are sitting on. I explain that we do know but we keep electing people to office that do not care and so it goes no where. If an outside party wants to come in and set something up, they must first line the pockets of all of the corrupt politicians and other authorities before the first shovel is turned.

Like I pointed out in my initial posting, that moment in Logan was a bit of a surprise to me and so far as I can remember I did not stare at the boys. I noticed them in my periphery, nothing more. I was watching for my traveling partner to emerge from the store. I have met a good smattering of very nice and not very nice across the state but most are friendly folks with a nice smile and a pleasant back and forth. My only bad experiences outside of this odd event in Logan have been in Huntington - I really hate everything about that town so maybe it is just my attitude looking for the worst and in Wheeling. I am not sure why it is universal in Wheeling but I always got the idea that they do not know they are in West Virginia and seem to look down their noses at those that are. I have always been indifferent towards people in Wheeling, it is so small, it is hard to even experience much of it.

If I were going to set this trail, some place like Birch River would be a better choice in that direction.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
You are correct in many aspects of this. West Virginia is missing a major industry by not focusing on outdoor tourism.
I agree. Natural gas is really not the way to go. I only ever see truck with Texas license plates with regard to this industry that's supposed to create many local jobs. At least the coal industry delivers when it comes to good paying local work.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
You are correct in many aspects of this. West Virginia is missing a major industry by not focusing on outdoor tourism.
What other opportunities should the state be focusing on with outdoor tourism? There's plenty of golf courses, hiking trails, camp sites, state lakes, ATV trails, fishing, skiing, hunting, rafting, etc. Maybe more all-in-one resorts/destinations could help draw more families. Maybe develop a "golf course trail" of the best courses.

In regards to advertising and marketing, you have to blame the short-sighted elected officials in Charleston for not providing more funding. Forest for the trees.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:55 AM

Speaking of expanded outdoor recreation fun, Pipestem State Park and ACE have partnered on a $11 million dollar zip line park.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/west-vir...FVy4UtZqkjGdew

Old 05-10-2019, 05:38 PM

194 posts, read 181,786 times
As Silent hill and Fallout 76 are set in West Virginia someone could buy up a old factory, mine or mill and make a Post Apoc or Horror theam park (With insurance wavers)

Old 05-12-2019, 09:31 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post

Generally, it is like the ghetto areas of large cities. You'll have few problems in the daytime aside from some stares, but don't get out of the car at night. Keep moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia