U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 2,357 times

Advertisements

Hey there! My wife and I are considering moving to Martinsburg WV. We are currently residing in Harrisburg PA. I had a few questions regarding the area.

As an open lesbian couple would we be facing an uphill battle there? I know homophobia is present everywhere but some areas are worse than others.

My wife is Puerto Rican and I’m mixed white and Hispanic. Is there a prominent Hispanic population in the area? My wife works as an interpreter so we need her to be able to find work and not feel like an outcast.

Finally - how safe is Martinsburg? 2 women moving to a state where we don’t know everybody - safety is a big question.

Any feedback from locals would be greatly appreciated to help our decision.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 12:59 PM

778 posts, read 526,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbeeknca View Post
Hey there! My wife and I are considering moving to Martinsburg WV. We are currently residing in Harrisburg PA. I had a few questions regarding the area.

As an open lesbian couple would we be facing an uphill battle there? I know homophobia is present everywhere but some areas are worse than others.

My wife is Puerto Rican and I’m mixed white and Hispanic. Is there a prominent Hispanic population in the area? My wife works as an interpreter so we need her to be able to find work and not feel like an outcast.

Finally - how safe is Martinsburg? 2 women moving to a state where we don’t know everybody - safety is a big question.

Any feedback from locals would be greatly appreciated to help our decision.

Thanks!

In spite of the many unflattering stereotypes about West Virginians you will find that no one cares about your domestic arrangements or your ethnic backgrounds. West Virginians do care about your character and conduct. You will be judged, upon arrival and probably for a long time - it is our nature. But it is not a bigoted judgment, rather it is an ongoing assessment of you.

West Virginians form bonds very fast and we are way to overt in our friendships, we do not believe in taking time to get to know someone - we are in your face on day one. Be prepared for that. But, we also have boundaries, such as property. Don't go to someone's houses unannounced. You will still get a nice reception but it will be artificial. We are not the, "just drop by anytime" sort.

Martinsburg however is not a very nice place. It should be a wonderful place and used to be, but drugs, specifically meth and painkillers have ripped that town apart. It is still trying to fix the problem and healing is in the future.

You will find several on here with intimate knowledge of the town, they will pop in, perhaps not until the holiday is over, but they will not steer you wrong. While some of us here differ in opinions, no one you will encounter in these forums is anything but helpful and will have your best interest at heart.

I wish you the best of luck and Welcome you to West Virginia. It will be a choice you will never forget, this place seeps into your soul...you were warned.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:07 PM

12,773 posts, read 32,858,347 times
I have know several gays guys & gals in Berkeley & Jefferson Co Never seen or heard of any problems. My wife is Puerto Rican and I’m mixed white and Hispanic No Problem either. interpreter I knew a lady translated for the deaf in court & other places. She did great. Does you wife do that?

Old 05-27-2019, 02:58 PM

My wife is a medical interpreter. Where we live now has a high Hispanic population making it easy for her to find work. Moving to an area where there were not enough people there who need interpretation from English to Spanish (between doctor apts, therapy apts etc) she would struggle to utilize her skill set - which is a big concern of ours.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:12 PM

12,773 posts, read 32,858,347 times
The Only Hospital in Martinsburg is West Virginia University... Why don't you contact them about a job. I sure they will tell you if they need anyone of if there is even a need.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:42 PM

Will do. Thank you so much for your input!

Old 05-27-2019, 07:21 PM

778 posts, read 526,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbeeknca View Post
Will do. Thank you so much for your input!

Proctor and Gamble also has a huge distribution center in Inwood a 1 mile south of Martinsburg on I-81 - basically in the same town, just another neighborhood. They could probably use bi-lingual service reps.

396 Development Dr, Inwood, WV 25428

I didn't see a phone listed.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:02 PM

10,092 posts, read 12,747,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
In spite of the many unflattering stereotypes about West Virginians you will find that no one cares about your domestic arrangements or your ethnic backgrounds. West Virginians do care about your character and conduct. You will be judged, upon arrival and probably for a long time - it is our nature. But it is not a bigoted judgment, rather it is an ongoing assessment of you.

West Virginians form bonds very fast and we are way to overt in our friendships, we do not believe in taking time to get to know someone - we are in your face on day one. Be prepared for that. But, we also have boundaries, such as property. Don't go to someone's houses unannounced. You will still get a nice reception but it will be artificial. We are not the, "just drop by anytime" sort.

Martinsburg however is not a very nice place. It should be a wonderful place and used to be, but drugs, specifically meth and painkillers have ripped that town apart. It is still trying to fix the problem and healing is in the future.

You will find several on here with intimate knowledge of the town, they will pop in, perhaps not until the holiday is over, but they will not steer you wrong. While some of us here differ in opinions, no one you will encounter in these forums is anything but helpful and will have your best interest at heart.

I wish you the best of luck and Welcome you to West Virginia. It will be a choice you will never forget, this place seeps into your soul...you were warned.
I agree 100% with this. In West Virginia, we often don't agree with the guy on the next hill over, but we are the epitome of Appalachian. You are judged here on your personal behavior and interactions. Your orientation or ethnic background won't even be an afterthought. Most of us are pure American mutts. Our ancestors came from anywhere.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:16 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,914,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post

Martinsburg is at the cusp of a rebound.

Sure, it has drug-related issues like every other city/town in WV. A new police chief took over from Chicago about five years ago and has been breaking up drug houses.

Restaurants, late-night hangouts, event spaces like Brix 27 have opened and I have heard a brewery (or something similar) is coming downtown. I'm starting to see young and middle-aged people walking downtown again.

Right now is the best I've seen downtown in over 20 years. I just hope this trend continues.

For safety...like most places, as long as you don't directly involve yourself with crime you'll be fine.

WVU Medicine is growing exponentially. WVU just bought 75 acres of empty land across from Berkeley Medical Center. A trusted source tells me "big plans" (their words) are in the works and should be announced later this year. Like Katie said, they may need someone.

I second Caden's recommendation on Procter & Gamble. I went to an open house there last winter solely out of curiosity. I saw a diverse, hard-working group.

There are also some government agencies. I believe the US Coast Guard office in Martinsburg hires translators. I had a friend from Puerto Rico who worked there in the early 2000's translating calls. He really liked it. I'm not sure what their needs are now, but it would be worth a check in my opinion.

Come to Martinsburg/Berkeley County. You'll be welcomed with open arms. We're an accepting, eclectic and rapidly growing community. I'd recommend Berkeley and Jefferson Counties to anyone.

I love Caden's last line...so true! There's something about West Virginia that if you stick around long enough and explore enough parts of it, it will stick with you. I moved to Pennsylvania for a while but came back as soon as I could because I missed it that much. The key is, however, you have to explore what all WV has to offer. When I ask those few who don't like it here, they usually never been west of Berkeley County .

Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,124 times
There are definitely some...some...changing attitudes in Berkeley County for the better (I say that as an African American woman), and I've mostly felt welcomed here. But Shepherdstown is definitely more open-minded and inclusive. It's about 15 minutes from Martinsburg - a small college-ish town with a great community. Check it out! I work there and honestly, it's where I wish we'd have purchased (housing is a bit more expensive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or