U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2019, 05:28 PM
 
360 posts, read 973,734 times
Reputation: 398

Advertisements

Ate lunch in Beckley today after spending the night in Barboursville. Was told by a cashier that best town in area to retire in her opinion is Fayetteville. Looked it up online, and after finding out about the New River Gorge and all the outdoors stuff, and all the restaurants and shops in Fayetteville, and it's proximity to Beckley, I think we might have a winner. In South Carolina now, was 73F in Beckley at lunch, 93F here at 6 p.m. so more convinced than ever that West Virginia is where we'll end up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2019, 07:41 AM
 
655 posts, read 152,903 times
Reputation: 472
Hello all, Looking for some information, Currently I live outside of Baltimore and have about 5 years left before retirement. The wife and I are looking for a better life after we retire. We are looking for property in the Harpers Ferry area and was wondering with is the property tax rate there? Does each county have separate fees for school, trash ect….. Does WV tax pensions? Any additional info about this area or surrounding areas will be helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 08:18 AM
 
Location: West Virginia
13,348 posts, read 12,350,404 times
Reputation: 8673
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
Hello all, Looking for some information, Currently I live outside of Baltimore and have about 5 years left before retirement. The wife and I are looking for a better life after we retire. We are looking for property in the Harpers Ferry area and was wondering with is the property tax rate there? Does each county have separate fees for school, trash ect….. Does WV tax pensions? Any additional info about this area or surrounding areas will be helpful.
Each county sets the property tax rate. Some have excess school levies. That is included in your tax bill. You can probably look it up online, or call the county assessor's office and ask. The assessed value of a property is often a lot different from the selling price. Fees for things like trash and sewer services vary by the community. You need to pick a location and check it out. Somebody here can probably help.

Pensions may be taxable, but WV is phasing out collecting income tax on Social Security pensions. It should be gone by the time you retire. As a general rule, WV has no income tax deductions. There is not short or long form; just an income tax form.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 10:59 AM
 
935 posts, read 1,418,719 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Each county sets the property tax rate. Some have excess school levies. That is included in your tax bill. You can probably look it up online, or call the county assessor's office and ask. The assessed value of a property is often a lot different from the selling price. Fees for things like trash and sewer services vary by the community. You need to pick a location and check it out. Somebody here can probably help.

Pensions may be taxable, but WV is phasing out collecting income tax on Social Security pensions. It should be gone by the time you retire. As a general rule, WV has no income tax deductions. There is not short or long form; just an income tax form.
Social Security exemption is available to those whose income is less than $100,000.

I spoke with my accountant recently and he said they have not received much information from the tax department, yet. He doesn't know is that $100,000 is outside the SS income included or if it will be a sliding scale of some type.

I do know the phase-in is 35% - 65% - then 100% for those eligible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 11:49 PM
 
191 posts, read 112,196 times
Reputation: 111
In my research about moving to WV the last i read up on it they do take taxes from Social Security but the first $8000 is exempt and after two years of residency some communities have tax breaks on private dwellings

Just double checked and in the next three years they will change it in three steps so that in 2021 the deduction is only allowed for a married couple filing a joint return, not over $100,000, or $50,000 for single individuals or a married individual filing a separate return.

Last edited by Wyvern-Quill; 08-08-2019 at 12:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 01:22 PM
 
360 posts, read 973,734 times
Reputation: 398
Yesterday drove from Cincinnati to Dover, Delaware. Decided to take U.S. 50 through Parkersburg and on to I-79 at Bridgeport, up to I-68 and on to Maryland. Unfortunately it was dark by the time I reached Bridgeport but from what I saw I think Clarksburg/Bridgeport area is it. Having an airport that has direct flights to Orlando where I have family, having decent shopping plus proximity to Morgantown and Pittsburgh, and proximity to outdoor recreational opportunities, as well as very reasonably priced housing in Clarksburg, makes it pretty near perfect for us. Sorry if I sound like a kid in a candy store talking about West Virginia, but there are some great options that make it tough to decide. Recently drove through Madison, Indiana, an incredibly amazing small town. But weighed against what Clarksburg area offers it's an easy decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 06:04 PM
 
778 posts, read 577,385 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Yesterday drove from Cincinnati to Dover, Delaware. Decided to take U.S. 50 through Parkersburg and on to I-79 at Bridgeport, up to I-68 and on to Maryland. Unfortunately it was dark by the time I reached Bridgeport but from what I saw I think Clarksburg/Bridgeport area is it. Having an airport that has direct flights to Orlando where I have family, having decent shopping plus proximity to Morgantown and Pittsburgh, and proximity to outdoor recreational opportunities, as well as very reasonably priced housing in Clarksburg, makes it pretty near perfect for us. Sorry if I sound like a kid in a candy store talking about West Virginia, but there are some great options that make it tough to decide. Recently drove through Madison, Indiana, an incredibly amazing small town. But weighed against what Clarksburg area offers it's an easy decision.

Something that may not be obvious from a drive through excursion is the difference in culture. At some indeterminate point between Charleston and Clarksburg - I know a fairly long distance, but opinions vary - is a line that separates the two principle West Virginia cultures: North and South.

Definitely by the time you get to Clarksburg the culture of West Virginia is very northern - think Pittsburgh. From some where north of the line formed by Charleston-Summersville, the culture is very southern think more like Virginia or North Carolina.

Of course we have the Eastern Panhandle that is all but indistinguishable from the DC area.

Then there are the Ohio Valley cities that are more like Ohio than West Virginia, but the feeling does not go far from the river itself.

Will it make a difference for someone moving here? I doubt it. But after a while you notice them. Might be worth consideration.

I too like Clarksburg but I understand it has a crime issue. I have never encountered it, but you might ask on here about it as I do not get that way often any more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 06:38 PM
 
Location: elkins wv
416 posts, read 401,464 times
Reputation: 274
There are many great little towns near Clarksburg to look at and I think you will love that area!!!!! Bridgeport, Shinnston,Nutter Fort and many others with low crime and reasonable housing. Clarksburg itself has good and bad areas but it seems to be turning the corner for the better.The shopping is descent and getting many and many great restaurants in the area. A good rated VA and a nice United Hospital run by WVU. You are under 2 hours to Pittsburgh and the airport,zoo, major shopping,great hospitals and world class Museums. Located within two hours of great outdoor areas in West Virginia,Maryland and Pennsylvania. The Bridgeport airport is getting a new terminal and hopefully expanded flights with flights now to Chicago,Washington. Florida and Myrtle Beach.Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 02:52 PM
 
360 posts, read 973,734 times
Reputation: 398
Thanks Caden and DT! Good advice and points to consider. Growing up in Florida I had some good Yankee friends. We live in Kansas now, and I transferred a bit with work. So fitting in probably won't be too much of a culture shock.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,637 posts, read 8,992,487 times
Reputation: 4144
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Thanks Caden and DT! Good advice and points to consider. Growing up in Florida I had some good Yankee friends. We live in Kansas now, and I transferred a bit with work. So fitting in probably won't be too much of a culture shock.
Congrats on making your choice and best of luck. I think you picked a good area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top