U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:43 AM

198 posts, read 306,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
There are many great little towns near Clarksburg to look at and I think you will love that area!!!!! Bridgeport, Shinnston,Nutter Fort and many others with low crime and reasonable housing. Clarksburg itself has good and bad areas but it seems to be turning the corner for the better.The shopping is descent and getting many and many great restaurants in the area. A good rated VA .

Not so sure how good that VA hospital in Clarksburg really is. Sounds like they had an angel of death working there.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...ty/2161324001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 08:03 PM

10,096 posts, read 12,750,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Something that may not be obvious from a drive through excursion is the difference in culture. At some indeterminate point between Charleston and Clarksburg - I know a fairly long distance, but opinions vary - is a line that separates the two principle West Virginia cultures: North and South.

Definitely by the time you get to Clarksburg the culture of West Virginia is very northern - think Pittsburgh. From some where north of the line formed by Charleston-Summersville, the culture is very southern think more like Virginia or North Carolina.
I agree with this. I believe the line is just south of Sutton. I would add though that the southern areas have to be differentiated from the low country southern areas of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and the Carolinas. It is a southern Appalachian sub culture, not what it typically associated with the southern culture per se. The roots are more Celtic instead of the English roots found in the low country east of the Blue Ridge, and since the region was for a century comparatively isolated due to the mountainous terrain, a more clannish attitude developed. There were no large cities to exert a different influence such is found in the northern areas closer to Pittsburgh, which is essentially the Capital of Northern Appalachia.

From Sutton north, folks seldom look to Charleston except for the politics of the place and sometimes for high school athletics. Summersville is clearly in the Charleston orbit.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:59 PM

360 posts, read 933,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I agree with this. I believe the line is just south of Sutton. I would add though that the southern areas have to be differentiated from the low country southern areas of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and the Carolinas. It is a southern Appalachian sub culture, not what it typically associated with the southern culture per se. The roots are more Celtic instead of the English roots found in the low country east of the Blue Ridge, and since the region was for a century comparatively isolated due to the mountainous terrain, a more clannish attitude developed. There were no large cities to exert a different influence such is found in the northern areas closer to Pittsburgh, which is essentially the Capital of Northern Appalachia.

From Sutton north, folks seldom look to Charleston except for the politics of the place and sometimes for high school athletics. Summersville is clearly in the Charleston orbit.
Where would you place Elkins culture wise?

Old 09-21-2019, 10:21 PM

367 posts, read 328,333 times
As someone who lives in Elkins they definitely associate themselves with the rest of north central West Virginia. Elkins does have a more outdoorsy and appalachian feel to it though.I think you would consider it a area of people that can be self sufficient and hearty and it definitely has a more rural feel to the area.Its a area associated with timber and tourism. You find people you would call country and hick and setting next to them in a restaurant people the total opposite.A liberal art college Davis & Elkins has the 10 week summer festival Augusta Heritage which brings in many different musicians, ,crafters, dancers and folklore artists to the area which probably makes it even harder to put Elkins with any other area of the state. The local train rides and center for the ski industry also make it different from almost anywhere else in the state except maybe Beckley.Elkins has so much potential with all this and the Gandy theater but it's also like many West Virginia towns kind of clannish and not wanting change.The one thing the whole state has going for it is a welcoming people that would still stop to check on you if your car were to break down. It's unlike any other place and the main reason I moved home after living in many other states. 20 years ago people went to Charleston a lot but rarely does anyone go there now. Elkins and Buckhannon it's neighbor to the west 25 minutes are both artsy communities and both set along corridor H which allows easy access to anything they need. Shopping is done in Clarksburg,Morgantown, Pittsburgh, and Harrisonburg Va. Elkins and Buckhannon both have descent hospitals but for major things it's United hospital in Bridgeport or like most people in this part of the state Both Morgantown hospitals are the go to choices for most.The shopping and hospitals tie Elkins to north central West Virginia. Although People in Elkins associate and mainly stay in north central West Virginia Elkins is basically the only town of any size in the elevated areas of the state. Beckley to the south 2 and a half hours is on the southern end of the mountains.Temperatures here are generally a few degrees cooler and Elkins is on the edge of the snow belt in this state although the last few years snow has been at a minimal. The 25 miles from Elkins to Buckhannon can bring a big difference in weather. Going a few mile east of Elkins or south can be even more drastic in the winter. It's a town that is hard to put a finger on.There is a accent but nothing like the southern part of the state. You could place Elkins in New York or PA and it wouldn't be out of place and it could just as easily fit in more south. A unique town that others may view differently but you will definitely find it associates with the northern part of the state and 33 or corridor H is the dividing line as far as i'm concerned from north to south in this state.The fun thing about all towns in this state is they are each unique with some seeming more southern and others more like our neighbors in PA and Ohio. The eastern panhandle is more like a suburb of D.C. or Maryland.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
As someone who lives in Elkins they definitely associate themselves with the rest of north central West Virginia. Elkins does have a more outdoorsy and appalachian feel to it though.I think you would consider it a area of people that can be self sufficient and hearty and it definitely has a more rural feel to the area.Its a area associated with timber and tourism. You find people you would call country and hick and setting next to them in a restaurant people the total opposite.A liberal art college Davis & Elkins has the 10 week summer festival Augusta Heritage which brings in many different musicians, ,crafters, dancers and folklore artists to the area which probably makes it even harder to put Elkins with any other area of the state. The local train rides and center for the ski industry also make it different from almost anywhere else in the state except maybe Beckley.Elkins has so much potential with all this and the Gandy theater but it's also like many West Virginia towns kind of clannish and not wanting change.The one thing the whole state has going for it is a welcoming people that would still stop to check on you if your car were to break down. It's unlike any other place and the main reason I moved home after living in many other states. 20 years ago people went to Charleston a lot but rarely does anyone go there now. Elkins and Buckhannon it's neighbor to the west 25 minutes are both artsy communities and both set along corridor H which allows easy access to anything they need. Shopping is done in Clarksburg,Morgantown, Pittsburgh, and Harrisonburg Va. Elkins and Buckhannon both have descent hospitals but for major things it's United hospital in Bridgeport or like most people in this part of the state Both Morgantown hospitals are the go to choices for most.The shopping and hospitals tie Elkins to north central West Virginia. Although People in Elkins associate and mainly stay in north central West Virginia Elkins is basically the only town of any size in the elevated areas of the state. Beckley to the south 2 and a half hours is on the southern end of the mountains.Temperatures here are generally a few degrees cooler and Elkins is on the edge of the snow belt in this state although the last few years snow has been at a minimal. The 25 miles from Elkins to Buckhannon can bring a big difference in weather. Going a few mile east of Elkins or south can be even more drastic in the winter. It's a town that is hard to put a finger on.There is a accent but nothing like the southern part of the state. You could place Elkins in New York or PA and it wouldn't be out of place and it could just as easily fit in more south. A unique town that others may view differently but you will definitely find it associates with the northern part of the state and 33 or corridor H is the dividing line as far as i'm concerned from north to south in this state.The fun thing about all towns in this state is they are each unique with some seeming more southern and others more like our neighbors in PA and Ohio. The eastern panhandle is more like a suburb of D.C. or Maryland.
Thanks, that's a very thorough overview. I really like it's size and nearness to bigger mountains. Read the other day about the rails-to-trails path that starts in town. A real plus.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Where would you place Elkins culture wise?
Definitely NCWV. Like most places in the state from Sutton north, there is a high regard for education, a community spirit, and the distinct influence of the large metropolitan area to the north although in Elkins' case the proximity to the High Alleghenies gives it a distinct character too.

I should mention that it isn't as though you go to Sutton and drive 10 minutes south of there finding a very different mindset. Like everywhere else, there is a blended area where the two attitudes merge, shifting gradually from one to another. When you get to Summersville though, the transition is complete.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Definitely NCWV. Like most places in the state from Sutton north, there is a high regard for education, a community spirit, and the distinct influence of the large metropolitan area to the north although in Elkins' case the proximity to the High Alleghenies gives it a distinct character too.

I should mention that it isn't as though you go to Sutton and drive 10 minutes south of there finding a very different mindset. Like everywhere else, there is a blended area where the two attitudes merge, shifting gradually from one to another. When you get to Summersville though, the transition is complete.
I have a southern accent, but also a reasonably high I.Q.. Having worked around the country I know too well what folks in certain areas think when they hear me speak. And how folks in some areas react when I demonstrate knowledge they don't have. Not sure I want to live where I have to think about who I'm addressing before speaking. Got to love stereotypes.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:41 PM

367 posts, read 328,333 times
I actually had a English professor that said the southern dialect was closer to proper English than most. Stereotypes are something i've never really adhered to when meeting anyone new. The rail trail is now finished to downtown. I wish they would do a river trail that would really add to the town. On your next visit go to the forks restaurant or El Gran. The Alpine lodge is great also and Smoke on the water has a great atmosphere. The annual fort festival is coming up the first week in October and brings arts and crafts as well as a carnival and large parade. One of the largest festivals in the country with some years on grand feature parade day the town growing to 100,000.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
I have a southern accent, but also a reasonably high I.Q.. Having worked around the country I know too well what folks in certain areas think when they hear me speak. And how folks in some areas react when I demonstrate knowledge they don't have. Not sure I want to live where I have to think about who I'm addressing before speaking. Got to love stereotypes.
I think you're correct. Stereotypes don't hold water. If you work in the NYC area, they consider everyone west of the Hudson to be some sort of uncultured individual. As far as I know, Texas pays closer attention to education than most places. My late aunt, who was from Austin, was one of the smartest people I ever knew. My ex wife is from Kanawha, and she was a Fulbright Scholar. Still, there are subtle differences in attitudes in general as you move from one area to another, and it is more evident in Appalachia than what you would find in most places. I wouldn't pretend to tell you where you want to live, but NCWV is pretty open to folks from many backgrounds. We have lots of Texas license plates around here these days due to the oil and gas activity. Those folks seem to get along just fine here. They show up in large numbers for local athletic events, that's for sure.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I actually had a English professor that said the southern dialect was closer to proper English than most. Stereotypes are something i've never really adhered to when meeting anyone new. The rail trail is now finished to downtown. I wish they would do a river trail that would really add to the town. On your next visit go to the forks restaurant or El Gran. The Alpine lodge is great also and Smoke on the water has a great atmosphere. The annual fort festival is coming up the first week in October and brings arts and crafts as well as a carnival and large parade. One of the largest festivals in the country with some years on grand feature parade day the town growing to 100,000.
Sounds like a place that would keep us active. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia