Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:52 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,525 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the great info! A lot to contemplate. I think we need to take a serious drive through the state before deciding. In 2013 I was living in Cleveland, TN and driving to far north Georgia so know how beautiful Appalachia can be. I truly wish West Virginia had it's old economy back with good jobs but it's current state makes it possible for us to get by ok. If the old economy isn't coming back I hope retirees are welcome and maybe we can help things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 08:26 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
I jogged/ran up a forest road in Pocahontas County starting on Rt 219 and I turned around at about what seemed like 3 miles and I hadn't reached the crest yet. I may be off a bit but that gives you an idea..

Old 06-04-2019, 08:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
I most certainly could see myself retiring in Elkins. It doesn't have the amenities of Beckley but I've always loved Elkins. I won't be able to move there at retirement but I'll spend my fair share of time there. O.K. mostly just outside of Elkins but to access any amenities, Elkins it is.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:49 PM

282 posts, read 484,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Is there a town where the mountains are more inspiring than in other places?
After going out west, everything in West Virginia just seems like hills or high ridges. Even North Carolina, around Grandfather's Mountain over to around Asheville and of course the Smokies, have mountains that are much more inspiring. But even those really don't compare.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:29 PM

My job is taking me from Dalton, GA to the Boston area this weekend. As I entered Virginia from Tennessee on I-81 this morning I decided to take the scenic route through West Virginia. Entered on I-77, up to I-64, over to Lewisburg. Nice town. Didn't linger though, drove up U.S. 219 to Elkins. Liked Marlinton area but that highway is too slow. Knew a fellow in the Air Force who was based in England for awhile. Said over there you don't measure distance in miles but in time it takes to get there. Definitely how I felt about driving U.S. 219. Liked Elkins and can see the attraction. Something about Davis really appealed to me. And ended day here in Cumberland, MD. Someone here recommended Cumberland privately and it seems pretty special. Will have to check out taxes and such. I really like West Virginia, have seen numerous places I could happily live in. But it's up to my wife. When she heard there's an interstate that'll quickly take you from Cumberland to Washington she was pretty much sold. But if property taxes are onerous, or I can get her to see some of what I've seen, maybe we'll end up in West Virginia. Have to admit though Cumberland would be nice unless there's something really bad I'm unaware of.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:15 PM

456 posts, read 602,624 times
Check out Petersburg,Moorefield, and Shepherdstown. Most of central and eastern West Virginia are within a few hours of many cities. Living too close to D.C. isn't that appealing to me too much traffic but I would live in Shepherdstown any day. Good luck in your search. Stay a night or two and get a feel for the towns. We have some nice restaurants in Elkins. The Forks,Alpine Lodge,El Gran Sabor,Mama Mia Pie and Pasta,Smoke on The Water,Vintage,Scotties,1863 Bistro and C J Maggies to name some. Train rides available at the train depot and dinner shows at the Gandy Dancer. I hope you find your dream town!!!!!! Winchester is a nice area in Virginia as well as Harrisonburg.Buckhannon is a nice little town also in West Virginia with some nice restaurants and shops. I love Fish Hawk Acres in downtown.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:38 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
After going out west, everything in West Virginia just seems like hills or high ridges. Even North Carolina, around Grandfather's Mountain over to around Asheville and of course the Smokies, have mountains that are much more inspiring. But even those really don't compare.
I think that depends on what you are looking for. The height difference, base to summit, is not all that different between much of the Rockies and the Appalachians. While the air is thinner in the Rockies, don't forget, those Rockies start at base heights of around 5,000 to 7,000 feet whereas most of the Appalachians start in the 200 foot ranges. Also, there is scarcely any water out there. I remember being in Bounder and they actually had a bus that took people to view a small creek about 15 miles outside of town that had a minor waterfall. It was no more impressive than Deckers Creek in Morgantown, and every area of our state has waterways like that. Our actual mountains are impressive, especially for their greenery, and the High Alleghenies n the eastern portion have spectacular scenery.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:58 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I think that depends on what you are looking for. The height difference, base to summit, is not all that different between much of the Rockies and the Appalachians. While the air is thinner in the Rockies, don't forget, those Rockies start at base heights of around 5,000 to 7,000 feet whereas most of the Appalachians start in the 200 foot ranges. Also, there is scarcely any water out there. I remember being in Bounder and they actually had a bus that took people to view a small creek about 15 miles outside of town that had a minor waterfall. It was no more impressive than Deckers Creek in Morgantown, and every area of our state has waterways like that. Our actual mountains are impressive, especially for their greenery, and the High Alleghenies n the eastern portion have spectacular scenery.
I agree, i have spent a good amount of time out west, and the greenery of the Appalachians is so under appreciated. And the fact that we have an abundance of water here, makes it even better. It just seems much more livable. Don't get me wrong, i love the Rockies, and all the wide open spaces, and rock formations. But living there would be difficult, especially if you are in a rural area.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:32 AM

They call them the Rockies for a reason, very rocky terrain. I prefer the lushness of the Appalachians. Some pretty awe inspiring mountains out West, but that wears off over time. I'd rather look at a grassy cow pasture surrounded by heavily wooded mountains. Some very nice streams out West as long as the snow is melting, but I prefer year round streams and creeks. Until I drove up I-77 about a month ago didn't realize just how much I liked it.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
Check out Petersburg,Moorefield, and Shepherdstown. Most of central and eastern West Virginia are within a few hours of many cities. Living too close to D.C. isn't that appealing to me too much traffic but I would live in Shepherdstown any day. Good luck in your search. Stay a night or two and get a feel for the towns. We have some nice restaurants in Elkins. The Forks,Alpine Lodge,El Gran Sabor,Mama Mia Pie and Pasta,Smoke on The Water,Vintage,Scotties,1863 Bistro and C J Maggies to name some. Train rides available at the train depot and dinner shows at the Gandy Dancer. I hope you find your dream town!!!!!! Winchester is a nice area in Virginia as well as Harrisonburg.Buckhannon is a nice little town also in West Virginia with some nice restaurants and shops. I love Fish Hawk Acres in downtown.
Thanks for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia