Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 5,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Not sure I'd want Red China investing in my States energy resources...be like leasing space in the chicken coop to a fox...Red China ain't our friend..
Exactly! This is more like a Trojan Horse deal, the very last thing not only WV but any state needs is for Red China to gobble up more land in the US that only benefits the cabal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 02:13 PM

2,657 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell7845 View Post
I remember watching Justice's first presentation of plans to the house/senate, and the two big things he promised were (1) state income tax removal and (2) infrastructure improvements.

On the first item, he hasn't made any steps towards reduction. As a matter of fact, since he's a billionaire who seems to have difficulties paying his own taxes, you'd think he'd at least operate in his own self interest and remove some of those taxes he has trouble paying. The fact that he hasn't done so makes him altogether incompetent in my mind.

I'm not sure of his business structures, but when the income finally hits his bank account, he's paying 30%+ more than he would in a no income tax state for any long-term gains. Since Justice is known to squeeze whoever he can on paying less than he owes for contracts, you'd think he'd care about reducing his tax bill too.

A 0% income tax could have been a big win for WV, especially in the panhandles and possibly Huntington as well. PA, MD, KY and Washington, DC all have estate/inheritance taxes (WV doesn't) and we're all surrounded by states with an income tax. I think a 0% income tax would be especially powerful in the eastern panhandle as 0% instead of 6.5% on those nice $100k+ federal government jobs would make the hellish commutes to DC a little bit more palpable.

On the second item, the road bond money was raised early on in his term, and then was just sitting there doing nothing. I don't really understand why nothing was started sooner as you'd think Justice would at least want some finished projects to point to. The counties, especially those in NCWV, had to practically beg for the money to start being used, and unfortunately it looks like it is being spent on deferred maintenance rather than new projects. 30 year bonds issued to fill potholes

Justice hasn't delivered or even made progress on his two main promises (both of which would have been good for his own personal bottom line). I don't trust a billionaire who is more interested in coaching high school women's basketball than making his own money grow.

As a final point, Justice is a broken record when it comes to speaking. If you've ever listened to his videos on YouTube, he pretty much says the same thing over and over, regardless of the circumstance (e.g., "a frog that isn't proud of his own pond isn't much of a frog"). And he needs to stop bringing attention to his "very strong stool" in every single talk he gives.
On the coaching issue...what is untrustworthy about coaching women's basketball? And if he is already a billionaire, why is it set in stone that he has to worry about making his money grow?

Old 05-18-2020, 02:16 PM

2,657 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
I like paying taxes.

I like good government.

Seems this is an archaic view. *shrug*
Exactly. You get what you pay for.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:47 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,972 times
First, I did not vote for him and the taxes of his companies was one of the main reasons.

Second, all the "unpaid taxes" were from companies owned by him which were corporate taxes and not personal taxes. I have never seen anywhere that his personal taxes, income or otherwise, were in arrears.

Third, all WV companies' taxes were brought current within the past two years.

I just get tired of the beating of the dead horse.

Another point about the road money. All projects have to go through so many regulations and phases that no ordinary person who has never had to work with the government will ever understand. A project near me was held up by a federal rule about some possible nearly expect something until a study was done. This is the sad part of any road construction that isn't just putting down asphalt where there once was concrete or another layer of asphalt.

We should tell China to forget it and we will still be fine.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:37 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
I believe there's a good chance the road issues and conditions are going to cost Justice the election. It may even cost him the primary in a few weeks.

Even with the current events, I think that the business ties between WV and China will continue. It's a global economy, afterall.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:54 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Generally, you pay income tax in the state where the income is earned and in the state where you live. West Virginia dropping it’s income tax has no benefit to people working in DC, VA, PA, or Ohio. It could actually end up worse for them, as the revenue for the state would have to be generated through alternative means, such as higher property and sales taxes. So then they’d still be paying income tax to the state they work in, as well as higher sales/property taxes to WV. Currently, they get a WV tax credit for their taxes paid to the state where they’re employed.

The big myth with non-income tax states is that you pay less there. The truth is that you just pay different taxes. An example of this is Tennessee, where sales tax in most counties is almost 10%, compared to WV’s 6%.
The money to pay for those "road improvements" comes from taxes. Someone has to pay them. Also, I would not count on anything from China. They are being booted from America for infecting us with COVID-19.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 809 times
WV has candidate Thrasher of the Alliance equally arranging for China energy investment. Shameful.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:38 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmortis View Post
WV has candidate Thrasher of the Alliance equally arranging for China energy investment. Shameful.
I can't see any point in posting this. Thrasher was soundly defeated in the primary election almost 2 months ago.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 809 times
Lest ye forget those in politics; know who they are and what they stand for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia