U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 3,515 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to the panhandle of WV. We've got 2 young children. He would be working in Alexandria, VA. I know the drive would be about 1.5 hours but what about a train?

Does anyone do that commute? I am really looking for information about the commute and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 11:22 PM

12,776 posts, read 32,867,876 times
MARC Train

Old 06-22-2019, 12:50 AM

49 posts, read 28,234 times
Honestly 3 hours round-trip sounds like hell to me, even if your husband is doing four 10's. That would make for a 13-14 hour workday easily, giving him only 2-3 hours to get everything else he needs done if he plans on sleeping for 8 hours.

Are you also working and would have to take your commute into account?

Not sure how long it takes to get to the MARC train, but if you use it you are then trapped in their schedule. Also, I have heard of potential funding issues: https://www.wvpublic.org/post/marc-t...ure-lies-ahead

Honestly, for sanity of everyone involved, I would look to live as close as possible at work, even if that meant getting a smaller house combined with a higher mortgage payment (within reason of course).

Also keep in mind that while houses and property taxes are cheaper in WV, the income tax could be higher if you are making good federal money. And of course you have the added transportation costs, and I would also argue there are implied increased health costs from a 3 hour daily commute, even if part of that is sitting on a train.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:35 AM

I stay at home with the kids. So I don't need to worry about a commute.

We live in WA state and he's currently commuting approximately 1.5 hrs each way and we only live about 30 miles from his office.

We prefer the smaller towns, quiter life.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:17 AM

227 posts, read 496,439 times
We live in Harpers Ferry and my husband works about 60 miles away. He works 5 days a week, 12 hour shifts. His schedule works so that it's off hours for traffic, so it's really not that bad. We were living closer before, but it was just getting too crowded and expensive. We love living here. It's a great small town and it has the slower paced, less traffic more relaxed feel to it. There is hiking, fishing, kayaking, parks and stuff like that to do here. We do have to drive about 30 minutes for the better doctors and better grocery stores and some sports but it's worth it to come home to where we are.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:55 PM

3,033 posts, read 3,809,730 times
Unless he works really off peak hours its going to be 2-3 hours drive each way.Traffic anywhere around Wash DC is insane.

Having said that I've been commuting from Hedgesville WV to Silver Spring,Md for over 15 years and to me it was certainly worth it to raise my kids up here instead of down there.

There isn't a train to Alexandria,Va,you have to take the Marc Train to Wash DC and then take the metro over to Alexandria.My brother used to do it,but he lived near one of the Marc stations and his office was close to the metro station so it worked for him.There aren't a lot of Marc trains but if one fits his schedule it could work for him.There is a fight at the moment between Maryland and WV over funding for the train and it is possible the WV route could shutdown.

Taxes are much cheaper in WV than Maryland or Virginia as is real estate generally.Commuting costs can really add up though so its really up to you.Different people have different likes and priorities.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the responses. Luckily he would work from home 2 or 3 days a week and only commute in a couple days.

He typically starts his day early (at his desk by 6:30 / 7 am). What's considered peak in the Alexandra area?

Old 06-27-2019, 01:35 PM

198 posts, read 306,474 times
Frankly, I'd look at a small town in Southern MD like in St. Mary's or Charles Counties. The commute would be cut in half or more.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:56 PM

145 posts, read 120,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie804 View Post
Thanks for the responses. Luckily he would work from home 2 or 3 days a week and only commute in a couple days.

He typically starts his day early (at his desk by 6:30 / 7 am). What's considered peak in the Alexandra area?
Traffic in the area starts at 4:30-5:00 am to 11 am and then from 2:30 to 7:30 pm.

That's the hell times. Then the other hours it's merely unbearable.

The panhandle area is quickly becoming a DC suburb so the small town life...well enjoy it while it's there. I second the other way over on the bay in MD. MD is oppressive though, especially about guns, WV is less so so it depends on what you like and how much or little you want politics in your life.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneVespa View Post
MD is oppressive though, especially about guns, WV is less so so it depends on what you like and how much or little you want politics in your life.
I'd prefer less politics in my life and more freedom. We are moving from a state that's getting very nasty to live in with all the taxes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or