Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 07:57 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,008,367 times

Advertisements

If you do what lookingaround says and continue up WV 88 past Oglebay to Bethany, I'll provide a little local history for that area. During the Civil War, Bethany (located almost on the PA Line) was a Confederate leaning town. Alexander Campbell, the founder of Bethany College and the Disciples of Christ (Christian) Church, was a personal friend to Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederacy. That little town (which included some of my ancestors) followed the opinions of their spiritual leader. West Liberty (which included some of my ancestors from the other side of my family), located just 3 miles away, was a Federal town.

There was great acrimony between the populations of the two little towns that lasted until the 1940s. It was so bad that residents wouldn't speak to each other and the two colleges located in the towns wouldn't play each other in athletics. It took World War 2 to bring them together.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-22-2019 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 03:43 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,062,431 times
CT, very interesting story and history lesson. That’s a nugget you won’t find in WV history books in 4th or 8th grade.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:16 PM

194 posts, read 180,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
If you do what lookingaround says and continue up WV 88 past Oglebay to Bethany, I'll provide a little local history for that area. During the Civil War, Bethany (located almost on the PA Line) was a Confederate leaning town. Alexander Campbell, the founder of Bethany College and the Disciples of Christ (Christian) Church, was a personal friend to Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederacy. That little town (which included some of my ancestors) followed the opinions of their spiritual leader. West Liberty (which included some of my ancestors from the other side of my family), located just 3 miles away, was a Federal town.

There was great acrimony between the populations of the two little towns that lasted until the 1940s. It was so bad that residents wouldn't speak to each other and the two colleges located in the towns wouldn't play each other in athletics. It took World War 2 to bring them together.
After the Moth Girl Chronicles there is my second book, Romeo and Juliet / West Side Story set in West Virginia

Old 08-24-2019, 04:26 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,378,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post

interesting post. I didn't know all of that just know it is a pretty area.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:41 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,062,431 times
We had a great trip through the Ohio Valley. I was particularly impressed with the charm of Sistersville. For such a small town, it had a nice looking park in the center of town and some interesting architecture.
We also enjoyed Moundsville and wish we would have spent more time exploring there. I had 5 people with me so we didn’t stay in one spot very long. We spent 2 full days in Pittsburgh, so that was the majority of our trip.
My 16 year old nephew enjoyed the trip. He was surprised how industrialized the Ohio Valley was, and just how urban Wheeling is when you add in Shadyside, Bellaire, and Martins Ferry.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:18 PM

194 posts, read 180,625 times
My road trip is taking me from the Pac West to the South West to West Virginia if my Van and Arms last

Old 08-29-2019, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 9,937 times
Quinet's Restaurant in New Martinsville has a nice buffet.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:31 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,008,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
We had a great trip through the Ohio Valley. I was particularly impressed with the charm of Sistersville. For such a small town, it had a nice looking park in the center of town and some interesting architecture.
We also enjoyed Moundsville and wish we would have spent more time exploring there. I had 5 people with me so we didn’t stay in one spot very long. We spent 2 full days in Pittsburgh, so that was the majority of our trip.
My 16 year old nephew enjoyed the trip. He was surprised how industrialized the Ohio Valley was, and just how urban Wheeling is when you add in Shadyside, Bellaire, and Martins Ferry.
It used to be very urban, before the mills closed. There were a quarter million people in total living in those towns, pressing up against the Pittsburgh area. It is a shell of it's former self, but oil and gas offer hope for a resurgence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia