U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 2,245 times

Advertisements

We don't care about the taxes. Just the water. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 01:34 PM

10,092 posts, read 12,743,339 times
You can't paint this little state with the same brush everywhere. While the state as a whole is not growing, there is great growth in the North Central and Eastern Panhandle regions. Here in North Central, we have a prosperous economy and proximity to outstanding recreational outdoor amenities. We're 5 miles from Cheat Lake, which offers great fishing and boating and sits at the end of the stunningly gorgeous Cheat River Canyon, offering some of the best whitewater in the country. There are thousands of acres of protected forest land here, offering plentiful fishing and hunting opportunities. In addition, we sit on the banks of the Monongahela River, which together with the Allegheny River forms the Ohio River upstream in Pittsburgh.

Land in Mon County is rather expensive due to the demand for being here, but just a half hour away there are lots of lower cost land options. Looking at what you are looking for, I would suggest you look at the towns of Kingwood and Grafton. Either would give you what you want.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:06 PM

778 posts, read 525,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Taxes are Cheap cause they are Stuck in the 1950 tax. When my son bought his home they put him on a Tax plan of XX increase each year till it caught up to current year .... This Only applies to OLDER homes .... New homes you will be taxed! As of 15 years ago... BTW they are increasing this on new buyer, Older owners are staying the same.
I seldom call anyone out on here because hospitality should be the default setting for all interactions here, but such a statement by you requires some proof.

No one on here denies West Virginia needs to work in some areas, but the state is making a lot of progress in all areas, except population growth. Perhaps it will be odd to you, but I do not want West Virginia to grow in population. West Virginia with 4 million people is a lot different than a West Virginia with less than 2 million and I like it just how it is.

But, I do not try to lure people here to settle. I will gladly assist those that feel an indescribable urge to be here, but in general, I advise most people to not more here. Eden is not for everyone and I see no reason for Morgantown to become a new Pittsburgh or Charleston a new Roanoke.

West Virginia does have a regressive tax code but it is business taxes not private property. The B&O tax has been a massive brake on moving the state forward and it is going no where soon - sadly. But property taxes in West Virginia are PENNIES.

P E N N I E S

You go some place else and pay property taxes and then you will see we give land away here. My property taxes last year were less than $200 and I live in a very nice subdivision with what most people would call a home that signals I have been successful in life. I paid $2,500 for a lesser house when I lived in Cincinnati/Hamilton County Ohio.

P E N N I E S

It sounds like you do not know what you are talking about and just want to be sour. I am fine with that. This is a place to learn something you did not know and sour people can become informed and happy by using this site, but you are either intentionally or unintentionally misleading the OP. Now if you present some proof for your assertions I will quickly apologize and consider myself better off for learning something new. But, if you can't, I think you think twice before posting such inaccuracies in the future.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:46 AM

5 posts, read 2,245 times
Please don't post unless you're posting about legitimate water quality issues. There is a direct message function to argue with someone. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stphlnn View Post
Please don't post unless you're posting about legitimate water quality issues. There is a direct message function to argue with someone. Thanks.
You started the thread and you can certainly limit the conversation if you want. I would generally not advise that when moving to a new place because you are not going to know the questions you need to ask. That is after all the entire point of speaking with the locals. But, its your game.

You are also correct in pointing out the direct message function is for personal disagreements. However, fora here police themselves since for the most part we are all adults and we occasionally curb each other when we stray beyond the guidelines. Such call outs are best done in thread because not always is the offender the target audience.

Another wonderful reason for using this site is that the locals can summarize a lot of data for the questioner. We live here. We experience the world in which you have questions. We know, within reason, what we are talking about. Our goal is to help the questioner be informed and not influenced and to do that in a process that is the most efficient use of time. By asking these questions and getting a conversational series of answers, the questioner is better for the experience.

You seem to be the exception. West Virginia is filled with exceptional people, we think of it as a hallmark. But there is one thing we universally do not approve of, carpetbaggers. Carpetbaggers is a loose term. It is generally boiled down to someone not from West Virginia that wants to come to West Virginia had tell West Virginians how to act and behave while pointing out their flaws. If that is the sort of personality you have, you will not enjoy the fullness of this state once your neighbors understand you. A shame really, because West Virginians are such nice neighbors and that would be your loss.

You wanted a reply that only dealt with legitimate water quality; well I took the time to look up several relevant links. The documents are lengthy as any such subject should be. You will have to correlate the data as it pertains to your concerns and you will have to weigh the quality of each source against the other. But I would not expect any West Virginia to know these details at this level, we know life in this state not the stark numbers that scientist use to define it.

Enjoy...

https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/circ1204/major_findings.htm

https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/circ1204/summary.htm

https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/circ1204/appendix.htm

http://www.wvdhhr.org/oehs/eed/swap/get.cfm?id=3302009

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa...ater-quality-0

https://dep.wv.gov/WWE/watershed/wqm...g_Strategy.pdf

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/wv/nwis/qw

Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 AM

10,092 posts, read 12,743,339 times
Water quality has been a major issue in West Virginia since the Elk River chemical spill a few years back, when Kanawha's water supply was contaminated for weeks. So much so that in Mon County, the utility board is spending millions to provide a backup water source using a new reservoir and gravity fed backup water supply that can be activated in minutes by turning a couple valves. While the primary source for public water is the Mon River, and where there are no large chemical complexes up river from Morgantown, there is still a sensitivity to possible spills and contaminants that has caused the expensive precautions to be taken.

In the event of any sort of water emergency, Mon County residents are assured of a pristine water source that would last for more than a month immediately.

https://www.wdtv.com/content/news/Of...488501431.html

Old 08-21-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Water quality has been a major issue in West Virginia since the Elk River chemical spill a few years back, when Kanawha's water supply was contaminated for weeks. So much so that in Mon County, the utility board is spending millions to provide a backup water source using a new reservoir and gravity fed backup water supply that can be activated in minutes by turning a couple valves. While the primary source for public water is the Mon River, and where there are no large chemical complexes up river from Morgantown, there is still a sensitivity to possible spills and contaminants that has caused the expensive precautions to be taken.

In the event of any sort of water emergency, Mon County residents are assured of a pristine water source that would last for more than a month immediately.

https://www.wdtv.com/content/news/Of...488501431.html
In all categories involving mining operations in West Virginia the key concern areas are all down at each review period. The last one was in 2007 and before that 1994. One should have been done in 2017 but it has been, it has not been correlated as of this date. The ones before 1994 were 1977 and 1964. The fall off in measurable concerns has been stark - with one exception. Sulfates. Sulfates are not a mining by-products. They are tied to farming, which is something of a head scratcher, West Virginia is not an agricultural state by even a generous definition. So far, the data summaries suggests it is a natural by-product of moving from an acidic base in the 1960 to an alkaline base by 2000 and increasing on that transition since that time.

The only other discharge of concern was fecal matter in rural areas, but even here the State says it should not be of a concern because while it still exceeds target levels, it is lower than it used to be and the plentiful domestic well system automatically and efficiently filters all such products.

The WV DNR points to the best gauge of water recovery in West Virginia with the re-population, in many cases organically of many fish, aquatic, and water foul species.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 1,969 times
Your eloquent description makes me yearn to relocate there. My sister and I have been considering Virginia, West Virginia, or northern Tennessee. I just wanted to thank you.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:58 PM

115 posts, read 162,170 times
Caden Grace,your post makes me want to move to WV,thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or