U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 03:23 PM

10,097 posts, read 12,750,855 times

Advertisements

I agree with Mensa that the three cities he mentioned all offer excellent healthcare services. You could draw that line within an hour of any of the three cities and begin your search. You might also want to check out the characteristics of each of the three cities to determine which focal point city has the ones you prefer. All three are very different than each of the other two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 01:50 PM

5,258 posts, read 8,460,398 times
Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown is a gem. I know somebody in there now after a bad car wreck and the level of medical care and personal care they are receiving is great.

Same with my late grandfather. He ended up there in late stage Alzheimers, and the team at Ruby didn't just address the immediate issue (swallowing problems) they examined everything and discovered he was on the wrong medications. They adjusted them, and literally gave him and the family another good month of time together after we had thought he had slipped under. They didn't have to do that, he was only there for the swallowing issue.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:28 PM

10 posts, read 4,327 times
I've read WV has either done away with the SS tax, or is soon going to, so that's of little concern to us. The tax base will be somewhat different, I've already figured that out, but it can easily be dealt with.

Last week-end the wife found out she has quite a few distant relatives in Pocahontas County where her father moved from in the late 1950's. Pocahontas, Pendleton, Hardy, Hampshire, Grant, Mineral, Tucker, or Randolph Counties would probably be our first choices as they're easily accessible from I-81 through VA which would make for an easier move and yet right in prime, (for us) land. We have not ruled out the Morgantown area, which is also easy driving from where we currently are in PA.

Probably our biggest chore and concern will be selling our house here and buying one in a suitable location in WV. We'll be downsizing quite a bit and I've already mentioned selling off quite a bit of the things we've accumulated over 40+ years of marriage. We already know the folks in WV are the friendliest most helpful we've ever met and hope we can return in kind that neighborliness.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:22 PM

49 posts, read 28,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krag96 View Post
We have not ruled out the Morgantown area, which is also easy driving from where we currently are in PA.
I would seriously consider the area around Morgantown, and that can even go down to say Fairmont and Clarksburg/Bridgeport. There is still plenty of land to be found just slightly away from the interstate/main roads.

A 1,000 acre retail/commercial development is currently being built in Morgantown. Bass Pro Shops is the first big announcement they have had. There have been rumors of a Costco too possibly.

In a nearby 400 acre development, a $40 million aquatic center with a running track is opening this November.

Honestly, anything on the western half of Monongalia County may be a good play.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:13 PM

10 posts, read 4,327 times
My brother and I were just discussing the growth of the Harrisburg area where he lives and where I used to live. I don't care for urban or even suburban areas, whatever area of WV I find suitable will probably be at least 1/2 hr. from a city, which I understand is probably 20 min. farter than I need to be. That's a major plus for WV for me!

I drove past Morgantown in the 1980's and, yeah, I'd move that distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia