Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 02:24 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,052 times

Advertisements

I will be picking up a family member in Parkersburg area and going on a road trip here soon to Pittsburgh. However i have been tinkering with the idea of taking scenic route 2 along the Ohio River all the way to Wheeling or Weirton. It has been over 20 years since i have driven that route completely from P'burg to Weirton. Any suggestions along the way? We have plenty of time to kill and stop and see things. Should i avoid Rt 2 and take the Ohio Scenic Byway Rt 7 ? Ideas welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:49 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
I'd do that. There are some great things to see along that route. Be sure to show the cooling tower at Willow Island where construction was stopped about the scaffold disaster during construction. Show them the suspension bridge in Wheeling. Drive by the mound and the penitentiary in Moundsville. I'm sure others can think of more things for you to see while you drive that route.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:25 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
Got to check out the 1904 Victoria Vaudeville Theater in Wheeling on market street. it's only open once a month for a funny, amazing variety show. Over 115 years young. Hank Williams played there. The people are the nicest you'll ever meet. $10 tickets and $2 beers. Popcorn from a vintage machine. Great architecture. Get a few slices of DiCarlo's pizza across the street.

VICTORIA

Old 08-17-2019, 12:35 AM

Mensa, i will certainly point out the cooling tower at Willow. I remember the first time i seen it and heard the story about it. I will also be sure to make some stops in Moundsville and Wheeling.

CT, do you know if Colemans's Fish Market is still open?

Old 08-17-2019, 12:50 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Mensa, i will certainly point out the cooling tower at Willow. I remember the first time i seen it and heard the story about it. I will also be sure to make some stops in Moundsville and Wheeling.

CT, do you know if Colemans's Fish Market is still open?
Coleman's is thriving and going strong. Drive out National Road (US 40) and look at Old Money Wheeling along the way when you get to Woodsdale and Pleasanton, then turn around and take WV 88 North to Oglebay Park and drive through 1,700 acres of beautiful almost manicured public parkland. Stop by the Mansion Museum to see what the old money folks lived like back in the day. Go back to US 40 and go to WV 2 North through Victorian North Wheeling.

The Upper Ohio Valley is gorgeous. If I were making the trip, I'd cross over to Ohio 7 at Williamson and drive up the Ohio Side until you get to the little town of Duffy. There I'd take the Sistersville Ferry across the river and go up the WV Side to Moundsville and visit the Penitentiary as Mensa suggested. There is an interesting ice cream shop on 8th. Street across from the Mound Museum too. They have great shakes and cones.
Grandview Park near Moundsville has a zipline that is fun. Wheeling is just 12 miles North of Moundsville.

Then I'd cross back to Ohio 7 and go to Steubenville from there, then US 22 West to the Parkway West near Pittsburgh. Weirton (and the Panhandle) is just 5 miles across there and the city actually borders on 2 states. Weirton is starting to make a comeback, but there isn't a lot to see there just yet.

I''ll also put in a plug for the Wheeling Jamboree at the Victorian Theater if it happens to be operating when you are passing through. My brother is mostly retired, but he has long operated the technical aspects for that show. It is second only to the Grand Ole Opry as a historic country music venue.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:16 PM

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Virginia.html

Old 08-17-2019, 12:18 PM

These things and more can be done in and near Moundsville …

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Virginia.html

Ignore what I said about the Sistersville Ferry. Apparently it is not running this year but they hope to have it up and running again next year.

If you haven't seen Blennerhassett Island/State Park in the Ohio River near Parkersburg yet, it is well worth the visit too.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:51 PM

Thanks CT, you gave me enough stuff to do and see to last a week. Lol, but it’s all good stuff. I will definitely be checking out Moundsville and Wheeling. I may have to stop and try a DiCarlo’s Pizza. I work with a guy from Follensbee and he swears by it.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Thanks CT, you gave me enough stuff to do and see to last a week. Lol, but it’s all good stuff. I will definitely be checking out Moundsville and Wheeling. I may have to stop and try a DiCarlo’s Pizza. I work with a guy from Follensbee and he swears by it.
That square thin crust pizza is unique. They used to have a shop on Main Street in Wheeling (don't know if it is still there or not) that was Galdo DiCarlo's original location. It was in the area of 14th. and Main. It is the most popular pizza in the UOV, although personally I prefer thick crust. While you are at Coleman's, note the pre Victorian architecture of the area around the Center Wheeling Market where it is located.

Those buildings are as distinct on the inside as they are on the outside. Cut glass and stained glass windows, tile fireplaces and hardwood mantles, 12 foot ceilings, … what remains of Wheeling's historic architecture is outstanding.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:08 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,357 times
I can't agree on the Ohio being all that scenic and I certainly do not understand the Dicarlo pizza thing. That being said I will digress and add to the trip assuming you go on the river to Wheeling. If you want a great place for breakfast take a little detour into Marietta, OH. There is a farm to table restaurant there called Busy Bee.It is situated in the historic port area of the town. Okay it's a little out of the way but cut back to the river using a back road through the Wayne National Forest.

It is somewhat of an interesting forest it was taken over because of how badly the environment had been impacted and now is making a nice recovery. Most people haven't seen the place let alone heard of it. Continue up to Wheeling flooding what CT says and by all means go through the old money parts of Wheeling and up to Oglebay park. From there do the back roads to Bethany. It is a cute little college town with many historic homes. You can tour it in a few minutes, and it is really pleasant. There oddly enough is nothing for sale or eat in the town itself despite the size of the college. Pack a snack. The backroads will take you through valleys on small rivers and creeks.

Head up to PA 18 where ever is easy to do and cross highway 22 going north. around 8 miles north of 22 you will see signs for Raccoon State park take the hill road through the park into Clinton and continue on to your destination in Pittsburgh from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia