U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-11-2019, 07:41 PM
 
360 posts, read 933,292 times
Reputation: 384

Advertisements

Being very mountainous I guess flooding goes with the territory. But are there major towns that rarely if never see floods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2019, 06:49 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
12,267 posts, read 11,611,023 times
Reputation: 7952
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Being very mountainous I guess flooding goes with the territory. But are there major towns that rarely if never see floods?
There are lots of them. I can't recall any flooding in the city of Charleston since 1961. Huntington has closed the flood wall a couple of times in the past 50 years, but no flooding (other than the underpasses). Beckley and Bluefield are at higher elevations. The entire state is mountainous. If you think one location looks prone to flooding, look at the next mountain over.

I know in my memory there have been significant floods in Nicholas County, in Welch, in Clendenin and Elkview, and other places in the southeastern part of the state.

I can't recall a single time in my memory when the Ohio River overflowed its banks along West Virginia's border.

I'm sure some of the other members can add to this.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Ohio via WV
500 posts, read 457,253 times
Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are lots of them. I can't recall any flooding in the city of Charleston since 1961. Huntington has closed the flood wall a couple of times in the past 50 years, but no flooding (other than the underpasses). Beckley and Bluefield are at higher elevations. The entire state is mountainous. If you think one location looks prone to flooding, look at the next mountain over.

I know in my memory there have been significant floods in Nicholas County, in Welch, in Clendenin and Elkview, and other places in the southeastern part of the state.

I can't recall a single time in my memory when the Ohio River overflowed its banks along West Virginia's border.

I'm sure some of the other members can add to this.
Agree with all of what MENSA said. As far as the Ohio, there's the occasional flood, but it never reaches into any of the cities along the river. Huntington, Parkersburg, Pt. Pleasant all have floodwalls that hardly ever get used. Huntington's gates for instance probably get closed once every 5 years or so and that's just out of an overabundance of caution.

What's a larger issue is creek flooding. That's a lot more prevalent throughout the state than any of the major rivers. So you'll see localized flooding in neighborhoods but it's almost always brief and rarely anything more serious than water in basements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 08:23 PM
 
Location: elkins wv
367 posts, read 329,141 times
Reputation: 211
The Ohio has numerous times flooded Wheeling Island. There is even a wall that lists all the flooding on the island. The last time was 2018. Blennerhassett Island Island near Parkersburg has also flooded many times and also did in 2018. Parkersburg itself hasn't flooded since the flood wall built in 1950 that is good to 62 feet. Wheeling city likewise hasn't flooded in at least 60 years or more. Most the cities built walls to protect themselves along the Ohio in the 50's. The Ohio River actually went almost completely dry on October 15th in 1908.It's hard to believe a river that large could go dry. Yes I doubt any town on the Ohio has flooded for at least 70 years because of the walls built. My grandmother who was born in 1899 remembered flooding as a child and told me about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2019, 01:17 PM
 
Location: North Alabama
921 posts, read 1,940,377 times
Reputation: 930
The Flood of 1937 inspired the building of many flood-walls along the Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2019, 03:29 PM
 
360 posts, read 933,292 times
Reputation: 384
Thanks y'all, very informative. And a relief!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2019, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Ohio via WV
500 posts, read 457,253 times
Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
The Ohio has numerous times flooded Wheeling Island. There is even a wall that lists all the flooding on the island. The last time was 2018. Blennerhassett Island Island near Parkersburg has also flooded many times and also did in 2018. Parkersburg itself hasn't flooded since the flood wall built in 1950 that is good to 62 feet. Wheeling city likewise hasn't flooded in at least 60 years or more. Most the cities built walls to protect themselves along the Ohio in the 50's. The Ohio River actually went almost completely dry on October 15th in 1908.It's hard to believe a river that large could go dry. Yes I doubt any town on the Ohio has flooded for at least 70 years because of the walls built. My grandmother who was born in 1899 remembered flooding as a child and told me about it.
It looked a lot different back then. That was prior to the dams being built. It's naturally a shallow river, as low as about 3 ft. in certain areas. Now it's a fairly consistent 20-25 ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,260 posts, read 8,462,679 times
Reputation: 3691
South Branch of the Potomac floods pretty frequently, sometimes with catastrophic results. Floods in 1936, 1985, and 1996 were all devastating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top