U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 11:02 PM

367 posts, read 328,661 times

Advertisements

Comparing West Virginia to a third world country is just stupid. If you don't like it why are you here. The eastern panhandle is way cheaper than northern Virginia and just as nice. I've lived in many places and obviously you haven't been in many parts of D.C.,Baltimore,Philadelphia or any major city for that matter. Getto's and homeless that goes on for miles in area's. Have you been to LA lately I have and it's been taken over by the homeless. Feces and needles on the streets.Virginia was the worst of many places I lived . Rude people and the least Friendly of all the states I lived and I even lived in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Colorado is great except for the outrageous costs and I loved Texas West Virginia has many poor areas but the people have qualities you will never find in any city and few states. Pay depends on your skill levels,training and college. If you don't want to work for Wendy's anywhere improve yourself. I have never found it hard to find a good paying job in West Virginia. Value yourself and work hard and show up on time and you wouldn't be making nothing no matter where you live. The schools in most parts of the state are fine and if you read their comment they homeschool.Please Ranger tell me the backward laws and obviously you haven't lived in many places if you think West Virginia is any worse than most states with dirty politicians. It doesn't even compare to Chicago, the whole state of California or D.C. which is full of them. I moved home because of the qualities of the towns, people and sense of neighborhood not found in many places these days. Please tell us all the third world countries you've been to I doubt any my Niece can tell you about them and few places other than inner cities in this country compare to any third world country.What's sad is the people in third world countries are mostly the most giving and kind people because they know nothing better and are happy with what they have and appreciate even the smallest kindness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 03:16 AM

360 posts, read 933,014 times
I've done a little traveling, been to 12 countries, most of them developing. West Virginia is better. And I've been extensively through the lower 48. WV definitely better than most in certain ways from my limited travels through the state. It's not perfect, nothing is, but it may turn out for someone who leaves that they find they wish they hadn't. Unfortunately they don't realize that until too late to return anytime soon.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:59 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,915,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger175 View Post
I honestly wouldn't move to WV. It's a depressing place and ranks at the bottom of everything. Schools are bad, salaries are low, politicians are very corrupt, laws are backwards and more. I think you'd be happier in Western Virginia where there are fewer people but WAY better quality of life. WV loses population every year. I live in the richest county in WV and it still sucks here. 70% of the county's residents work in VA or MD. I've been to third world countries that are nicer than WV.
As I said in a response on another thread, the Eastern Panhandle is a "bedroom community". The #1 characteristic of bedroom communities across the US is people live there, work elsewhere. It's unfair to assess all of WV based on a bedroom community.

Likewise, if you live in Jefferson and say WV is depressing and it "sucks" I really don't know what to tell you. People are flocking to the Eastern Panhandle because of the area's beauty, access to jobs and affordable housing.

Berkeley County alone adds 80 residential addresses per week. I'm sure Jefferson's numbers are in the double digits as well, but slightly lower. I doubt that would be happening if it really "sucked" that bad.

WV MetroNews Official: Berkeley County records 80 new addresses per week; solutions for congestion under consideration - WV MetroNews

I'm not saying your points are invalid. You're right, the schools aren't the best, but they are also not the worst. You are correct that salaries are lower, but you left out the part about taxes and cost of living being among the lowest in the country. Those go hand in hand. We have to look at the full story.

OP, don't let this post drive you away. Yes, we have issues. So do all 49 other states in the US.

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorns have roses.” - Alphonse Karr

Last edited by mmccul; 10-11-2019 at 06:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or