U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 12:26 PM

17 posts, read 5,729 times

Advertisements

We are a family with three young teens hoping to move to West Virginia in the new year. We are originally from Australia and have been living in the USA for about 8 years but mostly in Arizona. My husband has the equivalent of a series 7 as well as a law degree from Australia but not yet converted in the USA. He is hoping to find work in one of the Ohio cities suggested by you. He will travel up himself and we will follow once he has finalized everything. Can you point me towards a city that would be most suited? My eldest daughter recently lost her husband and is planning to follow us in about a year. she has a 2 year old son.

1) All three kids are home schooled so schools do not matter

2) Safe family orientated neighborhood

3) flea markets and festivals would be nice

4) Tiny little coffee shops and cozy little stores

We do not enjoy large crowds but at the same time, we need to be in a big enough city where the kids can find work during summer and where my husband will be able to work. I have my own small Maine coon cattery with just 6 cats but it keeps me busy!

I look forward to your suggestions and thank you in advance

PS: We are looking at several states but Ohio, West Virginia and Georgia was suggested to us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 05:39 PM

31 posts, read 16,003 times
Bridgeport will honestly suite you the best. It is large enough that there is plenty to do for work and entertainment, while also being small enough not to cause you any headache. It is within driving distance (30 mins or so) to Morgantown which is a larger university town, home to West Virginia University. WV is a great fit for those looking for small towns and quieter lifestyles. WV gets a lot of bad rep but the people here are so kind and helpful that it surprises many from out of state.

I would recommend visiting and seeing all the natural beauty for yourself, if possible. Hope this helps a little bit and if you have any other questions there are plenty of helpful, knowledgeable people on this forum.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:26 PM

366 posts, read 328,156 times
I also would suggest Bridgeport. Nice small town with growing shopping and jobs and good recreation opportunities with a new indoor sports complex being built now.Great small town near Morgantown and within a hour and a half of Pittsburgh, Close to many great outdoor areas in West Virginia and most would be within a 2 hour drive including lakes,skiing and white water rafting.Festivals in every small town in West Virginia all times of the year and three of the biggest are within a hour of Bridgeport. Bridgeport has a nie farmers market but I don't think flea markets are the best in West Virginia but there are some. Your 3 hours from the amish in Ohio and 4 and a half hours to the amish of PA. Morgantown also would be a great choice but more expensive than Morgantown. Putnam County between Charleston and Huntington would also be a great area. I like the eastern panhandle and somewhere near Martinsburg would be great just not in the city limits. Morgantown and the eastern panhandle both would have more traffic than Bridgeport. Putnam has interstate 64 running through it but it can be a traffic jam at rush hour. I lived in three places in Ohio and I loved Lancaster Ohio within 30 minutes of Columbus and the northern and eastern suburbs of Cincinnati are nice. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:12 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,493,796 times
The Huntington area would be a good place for you to look at. For smaller towns, you have both Barboursville and Milton to look into to. Huntington has a growing and vibrant downtown with several local coffee shops and bakeries in the area. One coffee shop is even run by a couple from Australia. I’ll include a Facebook link to the coffee shop in case you’d like to contact them. There are flea markets in Milton, Proctorville, OH and nearby Grayson, KY. There are also plenty of local festivals like Chilifest, Greek Fest, Oktoberfest, Italian Fest and otters. If your husband would be doing any work in Ohio, we are right on the border with both Ohio and Kentucky. We have the largest mall in the state here so that combined with the businesses downtown would provide ample opportunities for summer jobs. There are also several large law firms downtown as well. Huntington is also home to Marshall University which brings a lot of advantage with it too. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Tim

Grindstone Coffee https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...content_filter

Old 10-06-2019, 09:34 PM

49 posts, read 28,192 times
Honestly, if you're thinking about NCWV, I'd look closer to Pittsburgh. If all your kids are homeschooled you're just the sort who'll be able to take advantage of all the cultural amenities in that area. And you can go during the weekdays when everyone else is working and avoid the busy weekends

For higher-paid work, Bridgeport is all about the FBI Center or other federal jobs. For Morgantown, it's WVU, WVU Medicine, and some other federal/private jobs. If you aren't working in one of those jobs and don't have family ties to the area, I don't see the point in looking at WV.

Honestly, housing is sort of overpriced in both Bridgeport and Morgantown considering the amenities aren't really there. I was looking at the western part of Pittsburgh 15-30 minutes from the city center and you get way more bang for your buck than in Morgantown, are near a ton of shopping and parks, and there's easy access to the international airport.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:08 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,914,794 times
Bridgeport/NCWV would be a good fit.

If you think you would like the DC/Baltimore region, I'd like to suggest Jefferson County. It's a rapidly growing area...but Shepherdstown, Charles Town and Harpers Ferry all still have that cozy, shop small atmosphere you are describing.

You're close to everything. Drive one hour east and you are in the nation's capital, drive one hour west and you're in the wilderness. The sprawling northern Virginia (Nova) region with seemingly endless high tech/white collar jobs is a stone's throw away.

Finding housing here shouldn't be an issue. Homes are going up literally by the hundreds between the 3 Eastern Panhandle counties (Jefferson, Berkeley, Morgan). But, there's still a ton of nature to explore at your backdoor.

Highways here are in great shape and can get you to and from neighboring states quickly. The people here are friendly, diverse and there's always something going on within a 20-30 minute radius.

https://discoveritallwv.com/

https://www.visitshenandoah.org/region/jefferson-wv/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

Feel free to message me with any questions! I have lived in the Eastern Panhandle almost my entire live and love it!

Old 10-07-2019, 08:42 AM

727 posts, read 834,965 times
WV doesn't really have any cities, just a few large towns. Other than Morgantown, I'd also take a look at Martinsburg or Charles Town in the Eastern Panhandle, it would put you within commuting distance to Loudoun County Virginia (DC metro), which would have better job prospects and is home to the main international airport for DC, which would be convenient for flights back to Australia.

I would also recommend looking at East Tennessee, which offers a similar topography and culture to WV, but also provides access to two midsize cities for work/medical needs/festivals/amenities in Knoxville and Chattanooga.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:52 PM

12,251 posts, read 11,599,375 times
There are probably more opportunities for a person to find work in a law firm in order to be able to work while he's taking the Bar exam in WV if you locate somewhere near Charleston. It's the largest county and the capitol city, so the state government is headquartered here. That means there is a lot of legal activity

TBailey suggested looking around the Huntington area and into Putnam County. I would suggest that east of Charleston in Fayette County are also opportunities for outdoor activities and festivals, as well as small shops.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:44 PM

1,596 posts, read 821,289 times
For legal work, Morgantown, Wheeling or Charleston.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:11 PM

9 posts, read 5,698 times
I honestly wouldn't move to WV. It's a depressing place and ranks at the bottom of everything. Schools are bad, salaries are low, politicians are very corrupt, laws are backwards and more. I think you'd be happier in Western Virginia where there are fewer people but WAY better quality of life. WV loses population every year. I live in the richest county in WV and it still sucks here. 70% of the county's residents work in VA or MD. I've been to third world countries that are nicer than WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or