Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 10:06 AM

10 posts, read 11,007 times

Advertisements

I've seen a good deal of this nation in my lifetime and I'll say this, West Virginia has a few problems, (where don't they?) but I've never met nicer, more helpful people anywhere than there are in West Virginia. In a very few years when I settle things here in PA, sell the house, etc. I'll be moving to West Virginia myself to live out the rest of my days.

The times I spent in Martinsburg I received very good treatment, (didn't consider anyone rude at all) and back in the hills visiting my wife's relations I found the kindest most friendly folks I ever met. I believe there are undesirable areas everywhere in the world and West Virginia naturally has a few that you just happened to find yourself in. I agree, either move or find a way to improve your lot where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 04:42 AM

166 posts, read 362,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger175 View Post
Maybe I'm just used to nicer people in VA with greater opportunity and way of life, but it's horrible here.
I grew up in Northern Virginia and have lived in the Eastern Panhandle since i got married. I'm shocked to see that you think people are nicer in Northern Va. In my experience, people are nice and friendly here, drivers will actually let people out, even fast food and walmart employees here smile and make conversation with you. That is vastly different than Northern Va. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:27 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm5507 View Post
I grew up in Northern Virginia and have lived in the Eastern Panhandle since i got married. I'm shocked to see that you think people are nicer in Northern Va. In my experience, people are nice and friendly here, drivers will actually let people out, even fast food and walmart employees here smile and make conversation with you. That is vastly different than Northern Va. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience.
I was surprised, too. I lived in Northern Virginia prior moving to Pittsburgh. I found Northern Virginians overall to be rather rude. I’ve found West Virginians to be nice during my many travels there!

Old 10-18-2019, 01:37 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I was surprised, too. I lived in Northern Virginia prior moving to Pittsburgh. I found Northern Virginians overall to be rather rude. I’ve found West Virginians to be nice during my many travels there!
Good man SCR

I still live in WV, but i love travelling to other more rural areas of the state and talking to the locals. I feel like there is value in being a good listener. It shows respect and usually it is returned.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:03 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm also on the surprised side.

I was in shopping in Nova last weekend and instantly noticed a difference in my interactions with people at the first store versus when I grabbed coffee 45 minutes prior in the Eastern Panhandle.

To be fair...I did meet several friendly people in Nova that served me, helped me find things, held doors open for me, etc. But, there is still a noticeable difference overall.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:34 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
The assertion that Northern Virginians are 'rude' gets old and isn't really accurate. It's a busier, faster pace of life than West Virginia / PA, etc and full of people from all over the country and world so of course people are going to act in a different manner than those in more rural locations. Many small towns in West Virginia are full of people who have lived within five miles of the place their entire lives and are largely distrustful of outsiders. That being said, many people in the Eastern Panhandle are from somewhere else (usually Maryland or Virginia) so I am surprised the OP noticed that big of a difference in the people.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 10-21-2019 at 10:43 AM..

Old 10-21-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
The assertion that Northern Virginians are 'rude' gets old and isn't really accurate. It's a busier, faster pace of life than West Virginia / PA, etc and full of people from all over the country and world so of course people are going to act in a different manner than those in more rural locations. Many small towns in West Virginia are full of people who have lived within five miles of the place their entire lives and are largely distrustful of outsiders. That being said, many people in the Eastern Panhandle are from somewhere else (usually Maryland or Virginia) so I am surprised the OP noticed that big of a difference in the people.
Much like the assertion that West Virginians are distrustful of outsiders and never leave home.

I've tried re-reading the OP's comments multiple times because I really want to understand. Every time I just get more confused how some of those observations/conclusions were made. If this were the southern coalfields or Ohio Valley, I could understand. I fear what comments OP would have if visiting there.

Then again, like the faster pace of life for Nova residents, maybe there are certain things we just "get used to" living here.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:22 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
The comment was 'many small towns in West Virginia' which is not inaccurate and clearly does not speak for West Virginia as a whole. I grew up there and still have a ton of family there- I know.

To the OP: maybe give it another year to see how things go. You might grow to like the place- if not, rent your house out and head back over to Virginia. One thing is certain, I doubt the roads going into Virginia and Maryland are going to get any better with all the growth happening.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
The comment was 'many small towns in West Virginia' which is not inaccurate and clearly does not speak for West Virginia as a whole. I grew up there and still have a ton of family there- I know.

To the OP: maybe give it another year to see how things go. You might grow to like the place- if not, rent your house out and head back over to Virginia. One thing is certain, I doubt the roads going into Virginia and Maryland are going to get any better with all the growth happening.
I never said you spoke for all of West Virginia or West Virginians. "Many" is still a broad statement, in my opinion.

Most places in West Virginia have become very receptive to "outsiders", aside from some pockets of the population. I was born here, raised here and have lived elsewhere in the state besides the EP. I have stayed here and watched it happen first hand. I know.

Also, the same could be said for parts of all 49 other states.

Last edited by mmccul; 10-22-2019 at 10:15 AM..

Old 11-22-2019, 01:02 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
West Virginia is a small state with a total population smaller than a single large city. That said, it is a state with a great diversity. It is impossible to paint the entire state, or even portions of it, with the same brush. It is really six little states in one with each of those having great differences from the others. There are really 2 Ohio Valleys, North Central, Southern, the High Alleghenies, and the Eastern Panhandle. You are going to find major differences in attitudes, respect for education, average ages of residents, proximity to large cities and the influence of those cities on local residents, and economic opportunity/prosperity between all of those areas. You will also find different mixes of residents who are originally from other parts of the country and even the world.

Even within the same area, Shepherdstown is very different than Martinsburg even though they are relatively close to each other. You simply can not take what you find in one place and apply it to the others.

It is what it is, and the state will always be the state. That said, if one could go back to the 1860s and start all over again, there isn't a single part of this state that wouldn't be better off if it were included in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, or Kentucky. It is a dissonant mixture of combative factions that will likely remain that way indefinitely, but it is still a very nice place to live, and the people who live there take pride in doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia