U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2019, 10:43 PM

6 posts, read 2,653 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone,

My wife and I are contemplating a move very soon, and Wheeling, WV has caught our eye. We're originally from Northeast, TN, and have family in Southern WV, so we're no strangers to Appalachia. We've visited Pittsburgh several times and thoroughly enjoy it, but a small city like Wheeling may be more our style. Judging from most of the posts I fund using the search function, Wheeling has been down on its luck, economically, for many years. What's the state of the city today? Is crime as terrible as some make it out to be? Statistically, it's seems quite safe. Keep in mind, we lived in Chicago for a while and had no issues there, and we're no stranger to the issues with meth and prescription drug abuse here in East Tennessee. We plan on starting a family in the near future, so that will certainly factor into our decision.

We love historical architecture, and plan on buying an older home that may need a little work. There seems to be no shortage of that in Wheeling. We've never been there, but judging from Google Streetview it looks like a miniature Pittsburgh, aesthetically speaking. We both like the feel of former mill towns in the Ohio Valley, so a little grit doesn't bother us in the least.

As for employment, my wife is a public school art teacher here in Tennessee (TN, OH, WV, and PA all have teaching license reciprocity, so that shouldn't be an issue). I do most of my work online, but I also have a degree in theology and a Catholic Catechist certification. With any luck I may be able to find work at a local Catholic school, even if it's part-time.

We're still in the planning stages for now, and plan to visit Wheeling at some point. I just wanted to get some feedback on the state of the city today and what it's future may hold. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 09:23 AM

1,596 posts, read 819,729 times
I have ancestors there going back 100+ years.

It's coming back, yes. Lots of demolition has happened but thankfully that has slowed for now.

The new mayor seems to have a good appreciation for the city's historical architecture. Which is pretty stunning.

There's the downtown, the Bethlehem and Oglebay areas which are more suburban.

I've never felt unsafe downtown at any time. Young families with a love of architecture is what the town needs.

This is a great example of old meeting tasteful updates. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-18003?view=qv

Old 10-18-2019, 11:00 AM
Status: "Thou Shalt Not Lick the Surfaces of the "T"" (set 5 days ago)

31,054 posts, read 68,875,531 times
Reports on "crime" in Wheeling are generally way overblown. Yes, the city is in the throes of the opioid crisis, but so are the majority of cities in our nation right now. Is it on the upswing? Meh. I view Wheeling as being stagnant. I don't foresee it improving much OR declining much in the 2020's. Pittsburgh is improving slightly and should continue to improve slightly to moderately through the 2020's. Weirton benefits more from Pittsburgh's impending success than Wheeling as you can much more easily commute from Weirton to Greater Pittsburgh for work than from Wheeling, which is over an hour away from Pittsburgh. Nevertheless I'd presently much, much rather live in Downtown Wheeling than Downtown Weirton, which is a depressing ghost town. Weirton is poised to incur some economic success due to the natural gas industry, and I hope the city wisely invests it in rejuvenating its Downtown.

I wouldn't have any qualms about buying a home in Wheeling, restoring it, and raising my family there, but I'm an urban-dweller who wouldn't get scared if an addict or teenager broke into my car overnight or if I found a used needle at the local riverfront trail. If you're squeamish about the propensity for minor quality-of-life crimes like that to occur (and given your vignette about being a former Chicagoan I take it you're not squeamish), then you'd want to consider a smaller town like Moundsville.

In addition to the Downtown Wheeling area I also really like Warwood, which is a neighborhood of a few thousand people on the north side of the city that feels like an independent small town more than a part of a medium-sized city. Warwood has most of your day-to-day needs/conveniences like fast food, gas, groceries, churches, etc.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Reports on "crime" in Wheeling are generally way overblown. Yes, the city is in the throes of the opioid crisis, but so are the majority of cities in our nation right now. Is it on the upswing? Meh. I view Wheeling as being stagnant. I don't foresee it improving much OR declining much in the 2020's. Pittsburgh is improving slightly and should continue to improve slightly to moderately through the 2020's. Weirton benefits more from Pittsburgh's impending success than Wheeling as you can much more easily commute from Weirton to Greater Pittsburgh for work than from Wheeling, which is over an hour away from Pittsburgh. Nevertheless I'd presently much, much rather live in Downtown Wheeling than Downtown Weirton, which is a depressing ghost town. Weirton is poised to incur some economic success due to the natural gas industry, and I hope the city wisely invests it in rejuvenating its Downtown.

I wouldn't have any qualms about buying a home in Wheeling, restoring it, and raising my family there, but I'm an urban-dweller who wouldn't get scared if an addict or teenager broke into my car overnight or if I found a used needle at the local riverfront trail. If you're squeamish about the propensity for minor quality-of-life crimes like that to occur (and given your vignette about being a former Chicagoan I take it you're not squeamish), then you'd want to consider a smaller town like Moundsville.

In addition to the Downtown Wheeling area I also really like Warwood, which is a neighborhood of a few thousand people on the north side of the city that feels like an independent small town more than a part of a medium-sized city. Warwood has most of your day-to-day needs/conveniences like fast food, gas, groceries, churches, etc.
Nicely done! What he said

Old 10-31-2019, 08:57 AM

Someone buy this gem of a house before I do

? https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-05655?view=qv

Old 11-01-2019, 12:58 AM

1,930 posts, read 3,534,479 times
That's a really charming house, especially for the price! It sort of has a Craftsman look.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:16 PM

10,092 posts, read 12,743,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
That's a really charming house, especially for the price! It sort of has a Craftsman look.
Anywhere you go these days, construction is on the cheap side. Glued together wood chips and sawdust have replaced real wood and plywood. Tacky plastic siding has replaced the aluminum sort. Plastic veneer has replaced hard wood flooring, etc. Even furniture is compressed sawdust with a thin plastic coating.

Wheeling has far more than it's share of authentic, historical, excellently constructed with real materials housing stock. Much of it is of real brick exterior. It is almost impossible to go wrong there if you buy anything built before 1960. You might need to pay for upgraded electric service, but that is a small price to pay for the real thing.

You're going to get a lot of bang for the buck in Wheeling, and that city has some of the best municipal amenities in the world, guaranteed forever with very deep pockets endowments.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Anywhere you go these days, construction is on the cheap side. Glued together wood chips and sawdust have replaced real wood and plywood. Tacky plastic siding has replaced the aluminum sort. Plastic veneer has replaced hard wood flooring, etc. Even furniture is compressed sawdust with a thin plastic coating.

Wheeling has far more than it's share of authentic, historical, excellently constructed with real materials housing stock. Much of it is of real brick exterior. It is almost impossible to go wrong there if you buy anything built before 1960. You might need to pay for upgraded electric service, but that is a small price to pay for the real thing.

You're going to get a lot of bang for the buck in Wheeling, and that city has some of the best municipal amenities in the world, guaranteed forever with very deep pockets endowments.
Exactly. I agree 100 percent. One of my favorite places to go every month. The Victoria Theater on Market Street. This Saturday, November 9th at 7:00 pm. Tickets $10 for a 3 hour show. Popcorn and $2 beer. Still standing and in operation 115 years later. Nicest people. Love it. VICTORIA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or