Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:45 AM

191 posts, read 809,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
wonder what the news will churn about us this time?
It seems whenever WV appears in the national media it is with Jesco White or Jack Whittaker or that guy acting like he's retarded so he can grope nurses or a mine disaster or coal sludge flood...you get the idea. We sound as hopless as Zimbabwe or Haiti, which we are not (duh - we make our biscuits with flour,not dirt).

Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 AM

175 posts, read 564,828 times
Wonder if Hillary will venture out into the "sticks" and knock back a shot of West Virginia's Best with the local "brewers"??!! I think she and Obama could both use a shot of Mountain State Truth Serum!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:40 AM

566 posts, read 1,578,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Quick everyone! put in the fake John Boy teeth, get out the overalls, rebel flags, socks with holes, hunting dogs (I'll bring my moms poodle ha ha) and jacked up trucks. The political media is coming to WV, and we all know how they love some rednecks for exploitation.

*Please no one actually do this..ha ha I was only joking

p.s. YAY Hillary for your win in PA!!
Guess I should iron my bib overalls then?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:17 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A "colored" man? What is this, 1958?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakkbalz View Post
Will WV elect a Colored Man for President in the primary next month? Or is WV too racist?
I'm originally from West Virginia (Charleston).

First of all - "Colored"? As someone else said, what decade are you living in?

Second, Obama is mixed race - not black. Until the Presidential race started heating up, he readily and openly declared this, even though now his PR people are telling him to somewhat sidestep that topic so as not to potentially upset black voters who may feel he's "denying" the black side of his family tree. The exact same thing happend with Tiger Woods very early in his career. He refused to be tagged as the "first black man to win", and would very quickly correct the media and tell them he was mixed race. That is, until he made it big time and now he avoids the topic altogether.

The U.S. census until I think the 1980s stated that if your father was black, then you should list yourself as black. It was an old, backward viewpoint that basically said a mother's DNA counted for nothing and the race of a father determines the "official" race of their children. That is no longer the case and mixed-race is now in the place of that.

Backing up to the main topic - West Virginian's are as a whole, very brutally honest people. They will tell you like it is, and "political correctness" is not in many's vocabulary. That doesn't mean that they're going to skirt around the issues and not consider someone based on the color or shade of their skin. If Obama presents his issues and viewpoints, and they match that of the voters moreso than the other candidate, then they're going to vote for him - period. If they don't, they won't - period again.

Obama is a down-to-earth and sensible person who shows he can relate to the common man (and woman) very easily. He doesn't perch himself on Mount Olympus, and he doesn't care what race a person is - we're all Americans in his viewpoint, and he apparently wants what is best for Americans. Clinton perhaps the same. McCain, I'm not so sure. Now, if a race card player like Jesse Jackson ran for President - hell no, the people of WV probably wouldn't give him the time of day. Neither would I. Neither would most of the black people I know here in Atlanta. But we're not talking about players here - we're talking about a sensible candidate, and I don't think most West Virginian's care about the shade of his skin if he feels about the issues as they do.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:47 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,583 times
There should be some wonderful photo-ops in the next week as Clinton and Obama try to out-blue-collar each other.

I expect to see Hilary rafting down the Gauley, Obama eating breakfast at the Stumble In in Mill Point.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:18 PM

I'm betting I won't see either of them at The Fraternal Order of Redmen. LOL

Old 04-23-2008, 02:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A "colored" man? What is this, 1958?
No joke. I was scrolling down to the WI board and noticed this thread title and had to laugh. I havent heard that term in forever.

Many years ago I heard a comedian say something like "when us white folks are mad, we turn red. When we're sick, we turn green. When we choke, we turn blue. When we're nauseous, we turn yellow. Yet we have the nerve to call black people 'colored'?!?!" Very true.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:45 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,987,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
Guess I should iron my bib overalls then?
Tisk Tisk, No wrinkles for the camera crews!!! ha ha

I'm really trying to think how I can hick myself up. But I don't think I can, damn me for working at Hollister

However, what is becoming very popular with us college kids is throwing "white trash bash's" What one of these entails is going to Gabes, or goodwill (I refuse to wear clothes that someone else has worn, yuck) and getting the tackiest, trashiest clothes and accessories and proceeded to the party and drink, then act out your white trash personas... ha ha

We also throw ugly Christmas sweater parties... But I'm off topic now ha ha

Old 04-23-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post

I'm really trying to think how I can hick myself up. But I don't think I can, damn me for working at Hollister
How about, some shiny Hush Puppy shoes, white socks, high-water polyester slacks, and a Ban-Lon shirt with runners?

You have a Gabe's too?

Sort of back on topic-
If it weren't for it being stolen, printed, and sold, I'd post Dad's thesis right here and now. Written in the 50s, he was well ahead of his time, but quite unpopular with a few I'm sure. Although everyone I spoke with thought the world of him, and he was described as righteous. Sorry, not really on topic at all. I should go mow some fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia