Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 09:31 PM

15 posts, read 10,135 times

Advertisements

I’m seriously considering moving to West Virginia from New York. I know very little about it having only driven through it once many years ago, but I feel drawn to it and think It may be a good match for me. I would like to say a little about myself and hope I can get some feedback from West Virginians or people who have lived there . I’m looking to buy my forever house with a few acres for a small homestead. I am a single woman with no knowledge of farming per se, but I have gardened some. No experience with firearms but I feel compelled to learn. I’m a city girl aiming to change my way of life, to become more self-sufficient.

Im the sole proprietor of a small inventory-based business that I run from my home with all of my sales taking place online. I plan on continuing this business from my new home, so high speed internet is a must, as is proximity to somewhat densely populated areas, for sourcing my products. The closer these areas are to my home the better, but I do want to live/buy a home in a rural or sparsely populated area. A nearby post office & bible church are also necessary.

I have looked at a lot of satellite images where a few homes are strung along close together on a road or in the mountains, or there may be a small clump of homes surrounded by what looks like nothing but trees. I’m not savvy enough to figure out how these patterns came to be - previous mining opportunities? But I like this layout & picture myself getting along just fine with my few neighbors. I’m a bible believing Christian with conservative views on the hot issues of the day.

My main concern is what I’ve read about stream pollution resulting from fracking, but I don’t trust information generated by google & would prefer to hear first hand opinions about this. I’d appreciate any thoughts as well, about other considerations that I’m missing so far. This will be a big move for me at great expense so I can only do it once. I know there’s no guarantee in such things but I want to come as close as I can to an understanding of what it will be like to live there. I’m looking at the regions west of the mountains or in the mountains - Northern panhandle, mountaineer country, mid-Ohio valley, Hatfield McCoy, & mountain lakes.

Thanks for reading my long post. I appreciate your time & feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 05:28 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
I'm moving this from the Charlesto forum to the main WV forum. The areas you mention are not in the Charleston area.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:19 AM

632 posts, read 831,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakethedust View Post

My main concern is what I’ve read about stream pollution resulting from fracking, but I don’t trust information generated by google & would prefer to hear first hand opinions about this.

Regarding this part of your question, I'm an environmental scientist with a Master's from WVU. There aren't any issues that you need to be concerned about. There's not a single bit of concrete evidence (beyond the occasional accidental spill, but that happens in any industry), that fracking has any negative effect on water quality.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Regarding this part of your question, I'm an environmental scientist with a Master's from WVU. There aren't any issues that you need to be concerned about. There's not a single bit of concrete evidence (beyond the occasional accidental spill, but that happens in any industry), that fracking has any negative effect on water quality.
That’s good to hear. Do you have any opinion on why certain organizations, federal or state government or other bodies might want to present information that promotes the idea of water issues? I don’t know enough about WV politics or the internal economy to guess, but I wondered if funding might be a component. For example WV appealing to the federal authorities & EPA for cleanup funding. Just a wild guess really but I figure there must be a reason for the water reports not looking so good & then published on the internet. I know of some out of staters settling in WV to establish homesteads, which, in line with your comment, suggests to me that water health is not a concern for them.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:59 AM

632 posts, read 831,370 times
Quote:
That’s good to hear. Do you have any opinion on why certain organizations, federal or state government or other bodies might want to present information that promotes the idea of water issues? I don’t know enough about WV politics or the internal economy to guess, but I wondered if funding might be a component. For example WV appealing to the federal authorities & EPA for cleanup funding. Just a wild guess really but I figure there must be a reason for the water reports not looking so good & then published on the internet. I know of some out of staters settling in WV to establish homesteads, which, in line with your comment, suggests to me that water health is not a concern for them.
Same reason the same groups promote ideas that pipelines are dangerous. It's all a push to get away from coal and gas and toward green energy resources. They have alternative reasons to make up fake "concerns".

A pipeline is so much cheaper and safer than putting oil on ships, semis, and trains (and better for the environment). But those are established transportation methods that activists can't do anything about.

Same idea with fracking. It's a relatively new recovery method. Activists are able to sow seeds of disinformation regarding it to scare people away from it and toward their causes

I haven't seen anything regarding the state asking for assistance with cleanup regarding fracking. I'd be interested to see what you're talking about there.

Last edited by 304eer; 08-10-2020 at 08:09 AM..

Old 08-10-2020, 09:02 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,131,406 times
Most of the mining in WV I believe takes place in southern WV not the northern parts. My parents retired in the northern parts near Romney WV, which is not far from Winchester Virginia (northern VA) and a couple of hours or so from Washington DC. and about 25 miles south of Cumberland, Maryland. Again not much mining at all, wide open country, and cheap real estate. Keep in mind, taxes are low in WV so services are pretty low too. Also, fast internet and small cities are nearby.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:10 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,396,584 times
Quote:
I’m seriously considering moving to West Virginia from New York. I know very little about it having only driven through it once many years ago, but I feel drawn to it and think It may be a good match for me. I would like to say a little about myself and hope I can get some feedback from West Virginians or people who have lived there . I’m looking to buy my forever house with a few acres for a small homestead. I am a single woman with no knowledge of farming per se, but I have gardened some. No experience with firearms but I feel compelled to learn. I’m a city girl aiming to change my way of life, to become more self-sufficient.

Im the sole proprietor of a small inventory-based business that I run from my home with all of my sales taking place online. I plan on continuing this business from my new home, so high speed internet is a must, as is proximity to somewhat densely populated areas, for sourcing my products. The closer these areas are to my home the better, but I do want to live/buy a home in a rural or sparsely populated area. A nearby post office & bible church are also necessary.

I have looked at a lot of satellite images where a few homes are strung along close together on a road or in the mountains, or there may be a small clump of homes surrounded by what looks like nothing but trees. I’m not savvy enough to figure out how these patterns came to be - previous mining opportunities? But I like this layout & picture myself getting along just fine with my few neighbors. I’m a bible believing Christian with conservative views on the hot issues of the day.

My main concern is what I’ve read about stream pollution resulting from fracking, but I don’t trust information generated by google & would prefer to hear first hand opinions about this. I’d appreciate any thoughts as well, about other considerations that I’m missing so far. This will be a big move for me at great expense so I can only do it once. I know there’s no guarantee in such things but I want to come as close as I can to an understanding of what it will be like to live there. I’m looking at the regions west of the mountains or in the mountains - Northern panhandle, mountaineer country, mid-Ohio valley, Hatfield McCoy, & mountain lakes.

I live in Hancock county ay the very tip of the northern panhandle. It sounds like it would be a good fit for you as it has access to Pittsburgh and all the medium sized towns around here for your shopping. You can get a couple of acres for a reasonable price and if you focus on the northern part of the county you can find some real gems that are rural.

It isn't wilderness but it is pretty countryside. Around Chester there are some settlements that are pretty terrible and poverty ridden. However go around the New Cumberland and Fairview area towards the Pennsylvania border and you get nice land that isn't crowded.

There are some hollows where internet may not be available so make sure you check. Here is a listing for 2 acres and a crappy mobile home for $44,000. I think it's a good deal as it has a septic and city water. I bought something just like it two years ago just down the same road. It also was a trailer and 2 acres. I paid $40,000.

Tear the trailer down and put up whatever you want. I am currently building my new home. I have written a few posts about the NP search my posts and you will find more info if you want it.

Here is the link. I would buy this myself if I hadn't just bought some land up north for a summer place. Flat usable land can be a bit scarce around here. It's also a very nice little neighborhood I really enjoy my place.

https://www.century21.com/real-estat...dp=C2182040752

Old 08-12-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Same reason the same groups promote ideas that pipelines are dangerous. It's all a push to get away from coal and gas and toward green energy resources. They have alternative reasons to make up fake "concerns".

A pipeline is so much cheaper and safer than putting oil on ships, semis, and trains (and better for the environment). But those are established transportation methods that activists can't do anything about.

Same idea with fracking. It's a relatively new recovery method. Activists are able to sow seeds of disinformation regarding it to scare people away from it and toward their causes

I haven't seen anything regarding the state asking for assistance with cleanup regarding fracking. I'd be interested to see what you're talking about there.
That alll makes perfect sense. My wild guess was just that, nothing to back it up & no research attempted on my part, just a vague idea that government grants may exist for regions appealing to them for “environmental cleanup”, & if they could “prove” a problem existed then funding might be granted. Coming from NY I’m certainly a little jaded because of the nonstop political shenanigans here, often for personal gain.

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Most of the mining in WV I believe takes place in southern WV not the northern parts. My parents retired in the northern parts near Romney WV, which is not far from Winchester Virginia (northern VA) and a couple of hours or so from Washington DC. and about 25 miles south of Cumberland, Maryland. Again not much mining at all, wide open country, and cheap real estate. Keep in mind, taxes are low in WV so services are pretty low too. Also, fast internet and small cities are nearby.
Excellent tips, thanks so much!

Old 08-12-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I live in Hancock county ay the very tip of the northern panhandle. It sounds like it would be a good fit for you as it has access to Pittsburgh and all the medium sized towns around here for your shopping. You can get a couple of acres for a reasonable price and if you focus on the northern part of the county you can find some real gems that are rural.

It isn't wilderness but it is pretty countryside. Around Chester there are some settlements that are pretty terrible and poverty ridden. However go around the New Cumberland and Fairview area towards the Pennsylvania border and you get nice land that isn't crowded.

There are some hollows where internet may not be available so make sure you check. Here is a listing for 2 acres and a crappy mobile home for $44,000. I think it's a good deal as it has a septic and city water. I bought something just like it two years ago just down the same road. It also was a trailer and 2 acres. I paid $40,000.

Tear the trailer down and put up whatever you want. I am currently building my new home. I have written a few posts about the NP search my posts and you will find more info if you want it.

Here is the link. I would buy this myself if I hadn't just bought some land up north for a summer place. Flat usable land can be a bit scarce around here. It's also a very nice little neighborhood I really enjoy my place.

https://www.century21.com/real-estat...dp=C2182040752
I was thinking that area would be good for me too, for the reasons you brought up & also for the climate being similar to what I’m used to in the NYC area, or so I think. I almost drool at the beauty I’ve seen in images, and have trolled Zillow continuously looking at offerings in the northern panhandle. I appreciate the link. My situation calls for a move in ready home because I need to avoid a long interruption of business/cash flow, otherwise I’d be jumping on that, what a great price! Your advice is so thoughtful, I’m adding your tips to my checklist. It’s so valuable to have first hand feedback like yours. I’m typing on my phone tonight so it’s tough to refer to your post but once I get to my computer tomorrow I’m going over everything you said & prolly ask a few questions, thanks a mil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia