U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 08:43 PM

5,257 posts, read 8,457,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Does anyone know how deep wells tend to run on the Eastern side of mountains?
I'm guessing down at lower elevations it'd be around 80-100ft. And higher in the mountains (but not too high, not like Snowshoe) - from 100 to 200, may be up to 250feet deep. Does it sound right or acquifers are deeper?
Keep in mind that Petersburg and Moorefield are big chicken producing areas. Be sure when you are looking at properties to be aware if farms are nearby, and what they raise. I love farms and think they are very scenic. I can't say much positive about mass production chicken farms though. It comes with large amounts of waste, large amounts of tractor-trailer traffic, strong odors when the wind blows a certain way.

Other than that, they have always seemed to be nice small towns to me.

I'd look into Berkeley Springs as well. It is on the east side of the mountains, has a really cool small town vibe, is close enough to bigger cities for shopping, but still on the outer fringe of the D.C. metro. It is a small resort town and is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike. It is one of my favorite spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 10:25 AM

527 posts, read 186,088 times
I see, thank you - chicken farm locations are visible on google search.
(Berkeley Springs might be too close to DC for me. I'm looking for more of a rural and remote locations and also away from towns, kind of out there. Areas along 81 corridor are very fast paced and expensive and want to be away from them).

Another thing, I think, is to watch out for sinkhole-prone areas. This might be a tough one. I did get online map where I can enter coordinates and it shows me if the place is in karst terrain (there're long bands of karst, on the Eastern side of mountains, seems like). My guess is this is where most sinkholes would be. When I read about sinkhole issues online, a couple of affected towns are actually away from karst and even general limestone areas and are in Western WV...may be the fact they're on the river is what has to do with them having lots of sinkholes (doesn't seem like these were old coal mines).

Last edited by opossum1; 11-19-2019 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-19-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I see, thank you - chicken farm locations are visible on google search.
(Berkeley Springs might be too close to DC for me. I'm looking for more of a rural and remote locations and also away from towns, kind of out there. Areas along 81 corridor are very fast paced and expensive and want to be away from them).

Another thing, I think, is to watch out for sinkhole-prone areas. This might be a tough one. I did get online map where I can enter coordinates and it shows me if the place is in karst terrain (there're long bands of karst, on the Eastern side of mountains, seems like). My guess is this is where most sinkholes would be. When I read about sinkhole issues online, a couple of affected towns are actually away from karst and even general limestone areas and are in Western WV...may be the fact they're on the river is what has to do with them having lots of sinkholes (doesn't seem like these were old coal mines).
Fair enough. Do you have experience living in very rural and remote areas? Morgan County (Berkeley Springs) is still very rural overall with a county population of 17k, but you will find other people who aren't natives there and a visible transplant social scene.

You are still west of I-81 there and on the east side of the big mountains, but not in the Shenandoah Valley yet. It comes down to what you want. I assume you have enough experience to know the difference between "rural and remote" and "REALLY rural and remote," and not just the landscapes, but the culture and attitudes of the people who live there as well.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:28 PM

527 posts, read 186,088 times
Yes, I know very well what I'm talking about. There're places in the lower 48 with 3 hr drive to any grocery store, WV isn't that, really. Northwestern VA is a very fast paced place and anything close to 81 will be. I'm looking for something like Eastern Kentucky mountains in terms of vibes. It's not about being really remote, it's about places where certain stuff from big cities didn't make it yet. My life is spent holed up on the property or in the woods somewhere and I don't venture into social scenes really, also - don't need to be where other transplants are, as soon as the locals are nice. I'm mind my own business type of person... Not sure what you meant by attitudes.

Just curious about wells and sinkholes. WV doesn't have public well log online database.

Last edited by opossum1; 11-19-2019 at 11:47 PM..

Old 11-20-2019, 08:57 AM

498 posts, read 456,210 times
Quote:
Yes, I know very well what I'm talking about. There're places in the lower 48 with 3 hr drive to any grocery store, WV isn't that, really. Northwestern VA is a very fast paced place and anything close to 81 will be. I'm looking for something like Eastern Kentucky mountains in terms of vibes. It's not about being really remote, it's about places where certain stuff from big cities didn't make it yet. My life is spent holed up on the property or in the woods somewhere and I don't venture into social scenes really, also - don't need to be where other transplants are, as soon as the locals are nice. I'm mind my own business type of person... Not sure what you meant by attitudes.

Just curious about wells and sinkholes. WV doesn't have public well log online database.
There's plenty of karst in that area, but sinkholes aren't a large problem. Nothing that you should be concerned about

Old 11-20-2019, 09:56 AM

366 posts, read 327,948 times
There are lots of caves in West Virginia but i've lived in Randolph County off and on my whole life as has my family and i've never seen a sinkhole. The small town where my mother's family is from is surrounded by caves and even on families property but no sink holes. You will be fine no matter which location you pick. The sinks of Gandy is a natural stream that disappears into the side of a hill and doesn't come out for about a mile. A unique and beautiful area worth exploring.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Lol, well if you are looking to live a life of relative peace and solitude on a pretty piece of land undisturbed by others, your attitude is a good fit for the area.

I live in the Maryland part of Appalachia and isn't a guarantee that people who move out our way looking for "peace and solitude" really want that. Many only make it a few weeks before they begin complaining about poor cell phone reception, neighbors firing off guns, NRA bumper stickers, etc. Obviously the relationship with the community is strained from that point forward.

Good luck, I think you are looking in some nice places. That upper US-220 valley region is very beautiful.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:11 PM

360 posts, read 932,792 times
I drove through Marlinton awhile back. Median home price of around $51k. Very beautiful country and highway is slow and winding. If you don't need to be somewhere fast I doubt that area will ever get built up.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:58 AM

1,596 posts, read 820,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
I drove through Marlinton awhile back. Median home price of around $51k. Very beautiful country and highway is slow and winding. If you don't need to be somewhere fast I doubt that area will ever get built up.
Plus being in the quiet zone and everyone being addicted to their cell phones.

This is probably just fine with many though. The quiet, natural setting. There's a place for this kind of lifestyle.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:17 PM

Per a competitor's site I can't link to, it seems Marlinton gets 48 inches of snow a year. Not too bad. You've got some big mountains around there though, so I am sure the snow fall varies greatly within just a few miles based on elevation and other micro-climate effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia