U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2019, 12:28 PM
 
527 posts, read 186,088 times
Reputation: 466

Advertisements

I find pricing doesn't matter that much in West Virginia and is kind of similar throughout, unless I'd go near places like Martinstburg or Morgantown where I won't want to be anyway.

Hard to get answers to some questions...I'd narrowed down my search to Greenbrier, Monroe and Summers counties (and may be parts of Fayette and Mercer counties as well).
Hardy and Grant counties seem to also fit the bill but I'm seeing too many chicken houses there, not clear how far one has to be from them, really, and what happens if nearby farmer decides to start putting them up in the future even if I buy something far from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2019, 05:53 PM
 
111 posts, read 71,596 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
I find pricing doesn't matter that much in West Virginia and is kind of similar throughout, unless I'd go near places like Martinstburg or Morgantown where I won't want to be anyway.

Hard to get answers to some questions...I'd narrowed down my search to Greenbrier, Monroe and Summers counties (and may be parts of Fayette and Mercer counties as well).
Hardy and Grant counties seem to also fit the bill but I'm seeing too many chicken houses there, not clear how far one has to be from them, really, and what happens if nearby farmer decides to start putting them up in the future even if I buy something far from them.
If price doesn't matter just buy enough land nobody can get that close. 50,000 acres ought to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2019, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Ohio via WV
498 posts, read 456,210 times
Reputation: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
If price doesn't matter just buy enough land nobody can get that close. 50,000 acres ought to do it.
haha seriously. I mean how many ridiculous needs does this person have to have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2019, 01:01 PM
 
527 posts, read 186,088 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
haha seriously. I mean how many ridiculous needs does this person have to have?
Not sure what you're calling "ridiculous"? Ridiculous is when a stinky and well-polluting poultry farm is close to you and the regulations that allow these industrial operations in agricultural zoning with little restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2019, 01:02 PM
 
527 posts, read 186,088 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
If price doesn't matter just buy enough land nobody can get that close. 50,000 acres ought to do it.
No need to be sarcastic. I don't really owe to tell how much money I have or willing to spend, neither I told you "the money is not an issue", it's your imagination.

I can get away from this blight without buying 50K acres and paying all the extra taxes on them.

Last edited by opossum1; 12-04-2019 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2019, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Ohio via WV
498 posts, read 456,210 times
Reputation: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Not sure what you're calling "ridiculous"? Ridiculous is when a stinky and well-polluting poultry farm is close to you and the regulations that allow these industrial operations in agricultural zoning with little restrictions.
Let's count your "demands" in finding a place to live:

1) Eastern WV
2) Rural with acreage
3) Close to Mon National Forest
4) Safe
5) Not too much snow
6) Friendly to newcomers
7) Not growth-oriented location
8) Importance of depth of wells
9) Not near chicken farms
10) Away from sinkholes
11) Cell coverage
12) Hard water issues
13) No mosquitoes
14) Away from ponds/lakes
15) Avoiding areas with CC&Rs
16) Higher quality of housing
17) A place with sunlight
18) Screened in porches if mosquitoes are bad


There's a reason that people are questioning you. It started out reasonable but you keep adding some really ridiculous things to this list. I think you've made it very clear to the posters on this board that you don't know what you're talking about and no absolutely nothing about the region, yet you can't admit to that and talk like a know-it-all. It's really off-putting. Hell you just got into a long discussion with yourself basically on the intricacies of mosquitoes

Last edited by 304eer; 12-04-2019 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2019, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Let's count your "demands" in finding a place to live:

1) Eastern WV
2) Rural with acreage
3) Close to Mon National Forest
4) Safe
5) Not too much snow
6) Friendly to newcomers
7) Not growth-oriented location
8) Importance of depth of wells
9) Not near chicken farms
10) Away from sinkholes
11) Cell coverage
12) Hard water issues
13) No mosquitoes
14) Away from ponds/lakes
15) Avoiding areas with CC&Rs
16) Higher quality of housing
17) A place with sunlight
18) Screened in porches if mosquitoes are bad


There's a reason that people are questioning you. It started out reasonable but you keep adding some really ridiculous things to this list. I think you've made it very clear to the posters on this board that you don't know what you're talking about and no absolutely nothing about the region, yet you can't admit to that and talk like a know-it-all. It's really off-putting. Hell you just got into a long discussion with yourself basically on the intricacies of mosquitoes
That one was more my doing. I think OP has been in enough places to judge the "bugginess" based on places she had been. She just wanted some comparisons.

It is hard to control for all those variables though. OP, sometimes you aren't getting answers because people really don't them. I know chicken farms smell bad, but I don't know exactly how far you need to be from them to avoid this smell. Many of these counties have internal variation in elevation by 2,000-3,000 feet, which makes a huge difference in snow fall. For instance, a Marlinton address can mean town limits where snow will be modest, or 5 miles away but 2,000 feet higher which puts you in a very different micro-climate.

At least OP knows want she wants. Extreme rural West Virginia is just a hard place to really lock down so much stuff. It is rural, you are in the woods, living in such places largely means adapting to changes and being flexible and dealing with the issues at hand. Actions tend to be reactive: fixing your septic, dealing a nuisance bear who found your pigs, clearing 3 feet of snow, removing with that tree that feel across your drive away, finding a way to town if your car breaks down, and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2019, 08:52 AM
 
360 posts, read 932,660 times
Reputation: 379
I used to think in terms of very rural with great scenery. Some health issues in recent years has made me realize how vulnerable I would be in an emergency. Worth it to some, but for me being near a hospital has to be factored in. A few miles out of town is fine, but twenty miles out on a slow road would probably kill me someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2019, 07:11 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
12,244 posts, read 11,597,585 times
Reputation: 7939
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
I used to think in terms of very rural with great scenery. Some health issues in recent years has made me realize how vulnerable I would be in an emergency. Worth it to some, but for me being near a hospital has to be factored in. A few miles out of town is fine, but twenty miles out on a slow road would probably kill me someday.
Health issues will indeed make you think that way. I've been through serious health issues, as has my wife. We live about 6 miles from CAMC General Division. They have a Level 1 Trauma Center and have every service you could expect to find at any first class hospital as well as doctors practicing nearly every specialty in the medical field.

We've owned a summer home in Maine for a number of years. The nearest hospital is 27 miles and 45 minutes away, has 35 beds, and the medical office building next door has 2 doctors.

If I'm having a stroke, heart attack, or similar urgent emergency, I want to go to a hospital that can treat the problem adequately, right now, on the premises, and get there fast enough to have a good outcome. That little hospital will air flight you to a bigger hospital in another city. By that time, the stroke or heart attack may well have done permanent damage that cannot be fixed. They may very well be doing all they can in a small hospital, but you will still have permanent damage.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top