Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 10:56 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about your winters. In the mountainous areas that get some snow (I see 60-70 inches being mentioned)-how long does it last on the ground, and more importantly, on the roads? I'm currently in N. Idaho and love the area-but our winters are long (my private road is usually iced over by Thanksgiving and doesn't melt off until March). Now, for most people, that might not be such an issue-but I'm an avid motorcyclist. I don't mind some snow (and in fact want some), just not for 5 or more months every year. If you get 6-12 inches in a day and it melts in a week or so, that's not a big deal to me.

I'm considering West Virginia for retirement. Besides the long winters, housing costs, especially on rural acreage, have gotten insane in Idaho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 12:14 PM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm curious about your winters. In the mountainous areas that get some snow (I see 60-70 inches being mentioned)-how long does it last on the ground, and more importantly, on the roads? I'm currently in N. Idaho and love the area-but our winters are long (my private road is usually iced over by Thanksgiving and doesn't melt off until March). Now, for most people, that might not be such an issue-but I'm an avid motorcyclist. I don't mind some snow (and in fact want some), just not for 5 or more months every year. If you get 6-12 inches in a day and it melts in a week or so, that's not a big deal to me.

I'm considering West Virginia for retirement. Besides the long winters, housing costs, especially on rural acreage, have gotten insane in Idaho.
As with anywhere else, it depends where you want to move. Narrow down something more than "West Virginia" and you might get a clear answer. The mountains will have snow on the ground most of December through March. The Ohio River Valley will have a total of 10 days or so total of snow on the ground.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:15 PM

456 posts, read 602,139 times
Weather goes in cycles and the last few years the areas that don't normally get snow have and the mountain areas not so much. I live in Elkins which is notorious for being the snowiest small city in the state. The average snow totals for Elkins is 83.5 inches. I lived here as a child and snow stayed on the ground from Christmas till March.We had 31.8 inches of snow total last winter with the largest one day total of 4.8 inches in January. There was no snow in October 2018 or in March 2019. There was only 3.5 inches for the month of February. Last year in november Elkins received 2.5 inches on the 27th. December we had 5.4 inches total with 11 days with highs over 50 degrees. We had 17.1 inches for January with the largest two snow totals of 3.5 and 4.8 inches. We had 5 days over 50 degrees and 9 over 40. February saw 18 days with highs of at least fifty including 5 days with 60 or higher. There was 3.5 inches of snow. We received 5.8 inches in March with with 25 days over 40 degrees and 15 days of 50 to 77. I actually don't even remember more than once that snow was on the ground even two days all winter.. Most major snow for the last few years has been going around us for some reason the last few years.This winter is supposed to be bad by predictions but so far one snow the the day of a inch that is gone now, October was very warm this year as has been the early part of november. You can look up specific towns and they're daily snow totals online.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Yes, I'm looking way out of town...

I wonder if these changes are really affecting Petersburg/Moorehead area pace of life and if there're development plans.
No and no. These are pretty remote towns. The eventual completion of Corridor H will ease access to these towns but they will never be high development areas. They're actually level in population/losing some population over the last 10 years

Old 11-17-2019, 01:00 PM

527 posts, read 422,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
No and no. These are pretty remote towns. The eventual completion of Corridor H will ease access to these towns but they will never be high development areas. They're actually level in population/losing some population over the last 10 years
This is good to know...

Old 11-17-2019, 02:38 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
Weather goes in cycles and the last few years the areas that don't normally get snow have and the mountain areas not so much. I live in Elkins which is notorious for being the snowiest small city in the state. The average snow totals for Elkins is 83.5 inches. I lived here as a child and snow stayed on the ground from Christmas till March.We had 31.8 inches of snow total last winter with the largest one day total of 4.8 inches in January. There was no snow in October 2018 or in March 2019. There was only 3.5 inches for the month of February. Last year in november Elkins received 2.5 inches on the 27th. December we had 5.4 inches total with 11 days with highs over 50 degrees. We had 17.1 inches for January with the largest two snow totals of 3.5 and 4.8 inches. We had 5 days over 50 degrees and 9 over 40. February saw 18 days with highs of at least fifty including 5 days with 60 or higher. There was 3.5 inches of snow. We received 5.8 inches in March with with 25 days over 40 degrees and 15 days of 50 to 77. I actually don't even remember more than once that snow was on the ground even two days all winter.. Most major snow for the last few years has been going around us for some reason the last few years.This winter is supposed to be bad by predictions but so far one snow the the day of a inch that is gone now, October was very warm this year as has been the early part of november. You can look up specific towns and they're daily snow totals online.
True. But last winter wasn't normal for Elkins or any of the West Virginia high country. I'm a big skier and it was notoriously bad for all the WV (and other Mid-Atlantic) resorts - Snowshoe barely cracked 100 inches when their average is 180. Thats why they use the average amounts. You are correct though that it seems to be trending down a bit- I can't think of a year in the last maybe even decade where Snowshoe has exceeded its annual average.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 11-17-2019 at 02:46 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 02:42 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
This is correct. We've had family property outside of Petersburg for decades. Land values increased slightly once Corridor H was completed through Moorefield but the towns have not really gained population- it has made the drive from the DC area easier but for second homes a lot of people either continue down the Corridor towards Davis / Thomas / Canaan or stick closer to the Virginia border. I personally love it- selfishly want the area to stay as remote and quiet as possible.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:14 PM

456 posts, read 602,139 times
Snow totals actually have been down for years. I worked at Snowshoe and Canaan in high school and a lot more snow is man made now. At least the nightly temperatures make that possible. In Elkins that I can remember in the last 5 to 6 years only one or two snows over a couple inches and one of the worst storms was in October we got 12 inches in 2012. The last big snow in Elkins in December was 19.9 inches in 2009. January 2016 had a snow of 11.8 inches. February 2014 had a snow of 16.3 inches on February 13th. These are the few big snows in the last 10 years and they seem to be fewer all the time.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
True. But last winter wasn't normal for Elkins or any of the West Virginia high country. I'm a big skier and it was notoriously bad for all the WV (and other Mid-Atlantic) resorts - Snowshoe barely cracked 100 inches when their average is 180. Thats why they use the average amounts. You are correct though that it seems to be trending down a bit- I can't think of a year in the last maybe even decade where Snowshoe has exceeded its annual average.
2017-2018 was right on Snowshoe's average as was 2009-2010, but most years are at least 4-5 ft. below that 180" average.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:14 PM

527 posts, read 422,204 times
Does anyone know how deep wells tend to run on the Eastern side of mountains?
I'm guessing down at lower elevations it'd be around 80-100ft. And higher in the mountains (but not too high, not like Snowshoe) - from 100 to 200, may be up to 250feet deep. Does it sound right or acquifers are deeper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia