U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2019, 05:10 AM

676 posts, read 1,670,496 times

Advertisements

Hello! We currently live in Prince William county, VA. My husband works at the Pentagon; he leaves the house at 5:15 am to catch a commuter train and arrives at the Pentagon at approximately 7 am--so he is used to a very long commute.
We have two kids who will be a freshman and a junior in high school in the fall of 2020.

We are considering a move to Harper's Ferry. Does anyone here know of people in the Harper's Ferry area that commute to the Pentagon, and what that is like?

I am also wondering about how the high schools in that area are. Where we are, each high school has various "specialty programs" that you must apply for by February 1. Is there anything like that in the Harper's Ferry area school--where my kids would "miss out" on things if they weren't enrolled until late spring/summer?

Thank you for any insight into these two topics!

We'd probably be looking to purchase a single family home (3-5 bedrooms) and wouldn't want too much land--we prefer a "neighborhood" over "acreage." Our budget would probably be about $500,000 or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 02:31 PM

1,528 posts, read 3,613,890 times
Well as you likely already know moving to West Virginia will certainly not make his commute shorter. There is the option of the MARC train (Brunswick Line) which has a station in Harpers Ferry. It's almost a two hour train ride from there to Union Station and then he will have to get on the Metro, take the Red Line two stops to Gallery Place/ Chinatown and then transfer to the Yellow Line for a few stops down to the Pentagon. You should note however that there is a risk of the Eastern Panhandle having train service significantly curtailed as the West Virginia Legislature has not been responsive to the amount of money being requested by the state of Maryland. It seems some of the local Panhandle communities are working together to try to come up with funding but it might not be enough. I certainly wouldn't want to make that drive to the Pentagon unless working very non-conventional work hours- otherwise he'll be spending hours on the road. That being said commuting tolerance is a personal preference and it seems like a lot of people from the Panhandle commute closer to the Beltway for work.

Your housing budget should get you a nice home in some of the developments in and around Charles Town / Harpers Ferry. I can't comment on the local high schools but I am sure there are others on this board who can- I've never heard of anyone with bad things to say.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 11-14-2019 at 02:41 PM..

Old 11-15-2019, 11:37 AM

227 posts, read 496,439 times
I live in Harpers Ferry and my husband works not too far from DC (not quite the pentagon so his commute is shorter than yours will be). He drives about an hour each way, maybe add 30 minutes in the afternoon rush hour during the week. He leaves early morning before the morning rush. Jefferson high school has been pretty good for my kids so far. I have a freshman there now and a 7th grader who will go there. We are still new to the high school, but no complaints so far. It's a great little place to live. We have been here 4 years and just love it.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:48 PM

676 posts, read 1,670,496 times
Great, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia