U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 04:27 PM

10,123 posts, read 12,766,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I grew up with the Alley Cats but still have a Charlies hat my dad gave me as a kid! This seems like a dumb move on MLBs part although I noticed a few of these cities (Frederick and Hagerstown) are within 70 miles of DC and several others seem close to other cities with MLB teams as well- probably thinking they can draw a few more people into their stadiums to pay through the nose for mediocre seats, beer, food and merchandise.
That isn't how they are thinking. Even the successful operation of a local minor league franchise is not an issue for major league owners. That benefits the owners of the local franchises, but a major league owner couldn't care less whether a team in Bluefield has more fans in the seats than one in Princeton. They believe they can still attract the same level of talent by reducing the number of minor teams they support and improving the talent pool of the remaining franchises, and they can reduce their own overhead for evaluation by minimizing travel distances from the major teams to the minor teams, avoiding overnight stays and so forth. It is totally about the bottom lines of the major team owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 03:09 PM

12,274 posts, read 11,620,826 times
This issue is different from many others because Congress saw fit many years ago to give MLB an exemption to the anti-trust laws, so it essentially (business-wise) operates as a monopoly. Apparently over 100 members of Congress are questioning this action, including both WV Senators.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/west-vir...west-virginia/

Old 11-21-2019, 04:07 PM

1,683 posts, read 1,548,635 times
MLB may have just screwed themselves if they push this downsizing.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:27 PM

1,528 posts, read 3,616,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That isn't how they are thinking. Even the successful operation of a local minor league franchise is not an issue for major league owners. That benefits the owners of the local franchises, but a major league owner couldn't care less whether a team in Bluefield has more fans in the seats than one in Princeton. They believe they can still attract the same level of talent by reducing the number of minor teams they support and improving the talent pool of the remaining franchises, and they can reduce their own overhead for evaluation by minimizing travel distances from the major teams to the minor teams, avoiding overnight stays and so forth. It is totally about the bottom lines of the major team owners.
I'm not sure I follow the logic- if you would get rid of a Bluefield then why keep Morgantown when it's a small market an hour and 30 minutes south of Pittsburgh? The talent isnt exactly the same either way- after all Bryce Harper started at Hagerstown

Old 11-26-2019, 06:52 AM

2,075 posts, read 821,005 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I follow the logic- if you would get rid of a Bluefield then why keep Morgantown when it's a small market an hour and 30 minutes south of Pittsburgh? The talent isnt exactly the same either way- after all Bryce Harper started at Hagerstown
And Pete Rose was an unheralded signee at Geneva, NY. No major league team had been interested due to his relatively short stature....the Reds only signed him as a favor to his uncle.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:58 AM

500 posts, read 457,835 times
Quote:
Morgantown has much better facilities and fan support.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
The local Black Bears franchise owner was quoted as saying it is really too early in this process to draw any absolute conclusions. It would seem major league thinking is to reduce their owners' expenses The UTC exit is actually only an hour ten minutes from the Pirates ballpark unless one is traveling at rush hour. Being in close proximity is a major benefit from the way they seem to be thinking. Talent levels on remaining teams would likely increase substantially with fewer teams having fewer players.

Morgantown is in close proximity to a major league city. None of the other teams in the state have that situation. Hagerstown is also in relative close proximity, but the DC/Baltimore area is huge, and there are even closer options for major league teams there.

This is not a matter of major franchises competing with minor ones. Aside from good facilities, the major owners have little interest in fan support and the like for the minor teams. Our local franchise owner is Rich Foods, and they successfully operate 3 different minor league franchises. Apparently, at this time none of their franchises are on the chopping block.

One thing could result in the state having zero minor league teams though. If they change the short schedule teams that share facilities with colleges, like the one we have, to longer season teams, there could be scheduling conflicts with the college teams that could be difficult to work out. If that couldn't be arranged, you might see us switching places with the non affiliated minor league team in Washington PA and our franchise moving even closer to Pittsburgh. That's strictly a guess on my part, reading between the lines. I doubt WVU would agree to share a facility during their baseball season. Their baseball program has actually developed into a money producer, which is not common for colleges. Don't get me wrong. Some colleges make a lot of money with baseball. The really large programs … Texas, LSU, Alabama, etc. draw very large crowds for games.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:14 PM

736 posts, read 839,652 times
Its also important to remember that under the current set up, the MLB team pays for staff and player salaries and benefits, while the local team covers facilities and administrative costs. By reducing the number of MiLB teams, MLB is reducing costs for Major League owners. The cast off teams could exist as a part of the semi-affiliated Dream League, but they would be responsible for player and staff salaries and benefits, which is untenable for most teams.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:08 PM

1,683 posts, read 1,548,635 times
From the listing of teams to be eliminated, the majority of the New York-Penn League is listed. Also, I remember reading in one of the first stories about this proposal, I think it was from October, that MLB and Minor League Baseball would eliminate the short-season formats. These are the seasons that run from June to Labor Day. The current New York-Penn League operates with that format.

IF that comes to pass, what does that mean for the team in Morgantown? Would WVU be willing to share the ballpark in April and May? If so, who gets to play the preferred night games on Friday and Saturday? What if the minor league team is only offered afternoon time slots for those two days? Would it hurt their attendance?

Old 11-26-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
From the listing of teams to be eliminated, the majority of the New York-Penn League is listed. Also, I remember reading in one of the first stories about this proposal, I think it was from October, that MLB and Minor League Baseball would eliminate the short-season formats. These are the seasons that run from June to Labor Day. The current New York-Penn League operates with that format.

IF that comes to pass, what does that mean for the team in Morgantown? Would WVU be willing to share the ballpark in April and May? If so, who gets to play the preferred night games on Friday and Saturday? What if the minor league team is only offered afternoon time slots for those two days? Would it hurt their attendance?
If that were to happen, and this is only my opinion, either the league would work our schedule conflicts or the Black Bears would end up moving elsewhere in the area near Pittsburgh. Clarksburg has long indicated a willingness to build a minor league ballpark. It might well happen there since that is only another half hour from Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or