Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:41 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times

Advertisements

Mountain Made in Thomas, Wv has several handmade dulcimers...I'm guessing that the craftsman making them could make a banjo for you...my neighbor made them in the old barn years ago and they are just not that hard to make...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 06:13 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
Since it's my first spring here, I hope to catch a music festival or three. Blues,bluegrass, celtic/mountain, especially. Hoping to learn to sing bluegrass, and maybe play banjo, if I can find a left-handed 5 string. Also are there any large flea markets or craft fairs?
(Thanks to previous posters for the links, even though i haven't checked them yet.)
The Dogwood Arts and Crafts festival is this weekend in Huntington at the Big Sandy Arena. They have lots of good stuff there. There is another arts and crafts festival in Huntington in December, I think it's sponsored by the Lions Club. Downtown Huntington is also home to the Downtown Depot which carries various hand-made crafts from around W.V. including dulcimers. In Milton, about 15 minutes from Huntington, is the Milton Flea Market which claims to be the largest indoor flea market in WV. Here are some links to these things if you are interested.
Tim
Current Events - 38th Annual Dogwood Arts & Crafts Festival April 25-27 (broken link)
The Downtown Depot in Huntington, West Virginia - Business Profile at City-data.com
Milton Flea Market and Halfway Amish Market

Old 04-22-2008, 06:29 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Pullman square jazz fest looks fun- I think I'll check it out. And thank you, WV, in advance, for giving me directions when I ask on saturday.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Pullman square jazz fest looks fun- I think I'll check it out. And thank you, WV, in advance, for giving me directions when I ask on saturday.

I'll give them to you now. From Charleston, take I-64 west to exit 15 (29th street exit) and veer right at the end of the ramp (toward Huntington). Don't wait until exit 11/Hal Greer Blvd. as this exit has some heavy construction going on. Follow this road (Route 60) all of the way to the end until you can only go left or right. Turn right onto 3rd avenue (the road you were on was 31st St/Route 60). Pullman Square is on 3rd Avenue between 10th and 8th streets. You can access the parking garages from 10th, 9th or 8th streets and parking is only $1 for 4 hours. Sometimes you can also park at the Riverfront for free and walk (it's just a block away if the spots aren't already taken).

FYI, also going on this weekend is the Dogwood Arts and Craft festival which is just a block from Pullman Square. Marshall University's spring scrimage is also on Saturday as well. Here are some times:
Jazz Fest: 2:00-7:00 Free admission
Arts and Crafts Fest: 10 A.M. to 8 P.M. Saturday Admission is $4
Green and White Game(for those who like football): 3:00 Admission $5

Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 AM

312 posts, read 1,059,208 times
Lots of good info here! thanks, folks.
Let me pass along what I just found. For bluegrass lovers, the Delfest is coming up on May 23-25. It's a short putt up I-68 in Cumberland,Md. and has Del McCoury, Vince Gill, Sam Bush, Dave Grisman, to name bur a few. check Delfest.org for more info.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:49 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
We're going to the International Ramp Festival in Elkins tomorrow. We've got a friend coming to visit from Gaithersburg MD, so I thought we'd treat her to some real culture and let her try some tasty mountain leek specialties!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:56 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
But you won't be able to post for three days after you come back, till the aroma goes away.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:05 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Our friend drives a convertible car. I'll venture to guess she'll be driving home with the rag down!

And I've got to pick up some ramps for me and my buddies upcoming sausage making fest over mother days weekend. Nothing better than venison kielbasa flavored with ramps!

Oh how my wife does love me...

Old 04-26-2008, 07:17 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Long Hunter Rendevous at Hundred, Wv June 6,7,8 at the Hundred Sportsman Club...
sponsored by the South Fork Longhunters.

An authentic 1840 mountain man camp with everybody in buckskin and exhibiting associated skills....knife and tomahawk throwing..black powder muzzle loader shooting contests.

We have enjoyed the reinactment camps of the French-Indian War and Rev War at Pricketts Fort in the past, but this is the first (to my knowledge) of a Long Hunter camp in our area and wanted to give notice.

The mountain men were put out of business by the loss of the beaver market and the '49er stampede to California...a very brief history, but a very note worthy one..

For further information: 304-775 2191 ask for Chuck Himelroe

Two great country restaurants grace the town of Hundred...Corner Cafe' and Miss Blues...
home cooking just this side of heaven and Lil shook her egg flipper at me this morning and said that 'Miss Blues was opening at 5 am because of Turkey Season...that 3 egg country omelet was filled with sausage and cheese and just about everything a person would hanker fer...that and a loaf of fresh baked bread and I hi-tailed it back to Morgantown...
Eat your heart out snorpus!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 08:11 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Dang it all, DK! Here I was planning on making a nice (boring) healthy breakfast tomorrow morning, something like oatmeal and orange juice.

Now I won't be able to sleep tonight unless I promise myself an omelet for tomorrow... no sausage in stock, so I'll make do with onions, mushrooms, cheddar cheese as the filler. Guess the oatmeal can wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia